back to article 200 million office workers gagging for a... Microsoft Surface?

Microsoft Surface tablets are top of office workers' wish lists, research from Forrester has found, in a surprising discovery from its yearly survey of global information workers. That means 200 million people want their employers to get them a Surface this year, states Forrester in the report 2013 Mobile Workforce Adoption …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Really Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Reg: We want our site to look snappier

Designer: Let's move the comment link up a bit

Reg: And show the number of comments

Designer: And if there are zero comments

Reg: Show zero

Designer: Ah, zero, zip, nada... got it.

1. Dave 126

I don't even get a '0' in that area where the number of comments is displayed, on both Chrome and IE... once some has left a comment, I can join in, but I can't be the first. I've slowly looked over the page, looking for the comment link, but can't see it. I've tried clicking on the empty space where the number of comments is displayed, but it doesn't work. Something is broken, and there wasn't a Reg post promoting this strange change.

-Confused.

1. Really Anonymous Coward

Exactly... Nothing displays until someone makes a comment. I only got here to make it by figuring out the URL.

One of today's other articles had an apologetic comment from a member of staff to start it off.

1. tirk
          Unhappy

Re: Nothing displays until someone makes a comment

They've taken away the "Start" button? Where the hell did they get that bright idea from??

1. Charles Manning

Quit while you're ahead

Just shut up before they innovate and give us a comment ribbon.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Quit while you're ahead

Next week: you can only comment via a touch interface.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
          FAIL

Arrrrgh this is a bad change

Dull black and white colours, and "top rated comments" shown below the article?

What use are they they are a reply to a comment that doesn't make the list.

Additionally, these comments appear on all pages of a multi-page article, so you could see "top rated comments" referring to a piece of the article you haven't even read yet.

The comments are FINE on their own page. In fact, better than fine. I'm not one of these old fogies who hates any sort of change, but this change is awful :(

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Flame

Re: Arrrrgh this is a bad change

I agree. It's a METRO-tier change.

THROW A CHAIR! FIRE SOME PEOPLE!

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Arrrrgh this is a bad change

"El Reg 8" ?

I don't suppose there's an article talking about the changes, so we can complain somewhere where we might be heard?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Forrester surveyed 9,766 information workers globally to compile this research between September and October 2012.

Before anyone knew what was coming and gave up?

3. plrndl
    FAIL

Wish List

I want my employer to give me twice, no ten times the salary, three times the holidays, a penthouse flat on top of the office building, a chauffeur driven limo for work travel, and something a little more sporty for my personal use...

Since when did the wish list for the rank and file influence business buying decisions?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Wish List

Since when did the wish list for the rank and file influence business buying decisions?

Indeed. And while it'd be nice if IT procurement included user research and tried to meet user desires within the constraints of business needs, it shouldn't be controlled by what users say they want. I wouldn't want my employer to start handing out hardware that wasn't justified by a solid business reason - spend that capital on something useful.

(By the same token, I'm happier not working for one of those hip Bay Area companies that all waste money on the same "cool" crap. Come to work to work. And don't think I'm giving you your ball back if it lands in my yard. Goddamned kids.)

4. Anonymous Custard

So they all want this expensive tablet/ultrabook/mobile-PC/doorwedge as long as someone else is paying for it? Given that it's main drawback is its cost, somehow this is hardly earthshattering news with the hardware itself (ignoring the price) being quite good.

I'm sure if they surveyed what company car the employees would like their employers to pay for, many would happily ask for a Veyron...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If there are 200 million people who want a surface tablet, how come sales of these tablets are at an all time low?

1. stucs201

Perhaps they want the pro version, which they can't have yet? This seems especially likely since this survey was done in a work context.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ever heard the comment "Want in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up first"

That's exactly the case in point here. I'm not saying I agree with the numbers, or how they come about to determine such a thing, but anybody wanting anything right now just isn't happening. Companies aren't looking to spending money on things they already have that won't generate money. So, people are stuck with what they have for a while.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

> "If there are 200 million people who want a surface tablet, how come sales of these tablets are at an all time low?"

Because they want the pro version - they want to run all their Win programs. I would take one if somebody wanted to buy me one. Certainly about a thousand times more useful to me than an iToy.

1. Dana W
        Happy

Enjoy your two hour battery life.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because the survey was before people knew what it was like, when they still thought it would be a status symbol. Office workers are the ones who want Office Pro even if they only type letters and look at simple spreadsheets.

5. ScottME

Simple - "want" does not imply "are willing to pay for". These people wouldn't object to their emplyers buying them a Microsoft tablet, but they sure as hell aren't about to spend their own money on one.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe what Forrester meant to say; 200 million DON'T want a surface.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

"If there are 200 million people who want a surface tablet...."

It's because the report is done by "Pro Microsoft" consultants, using TOOA or "Talking Out Of Arse" speak.

In other words - the report is bullshit.

Satan - "Feed them shit, make them buy."

8. plrndl
      Linux

Because they don't want to buy one, they want to be given one by their employers to replace the ancient XP machines they have on thier desks. Even I'd consider that, and I hate W8 even more than all the previous versions, and use Unix type systems whenever possible.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

whos buying?

wonder if its because of the cost, they don't want to spend their cash on one, but would take one off the employer.

10. Syren Baran
      WTF?

The other numbers are even funnier

If 32%=200M then obviously 12% equals 75M and 8% equals 50M.

Or in other words, allegedly there are 75M iPads used at work. That seems very high for a consumer consumption device.

And what the fuck are those 50M non-iPad/Android/Windows tablets used at work? Puleaze, we want to know which trend the whole IT-news sites missed.

1. stucs201

Re: The other numbers are even funnier

> And what the fuck are those 50M non-iPad/Android/Windows tablets used at work?

WebOS?

6. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

200 million office workers gagging for a...

...Microsoft SURFACE?

You guys sure that "gagging" is really the right word?

Bastards.

1. Nogbad1958

Re: 200 million office workers gagging for a...

I think they mean the users will gag when they find what it's like!

7. ElsieEffsee

Sccm, packaging and deployment on a tablet?

No thanks!

Just give me bigger bloody had drives for all the VMs I have to run!

Only tablet I want for work is labled Valium.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

surveyed 9,766 information workers

Of course by register standards that means that for 200 million office drones Windows tablet is most desired???

Beyond stretching less the 10 thousand to 200 milliion, the articles authoress has also made a MSFT tablet the cube prole's most desired wish.

And here I thought these peoples fondest wish was not to be made redundant.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LOL, anyone actually believe this?

Quite clearly part of the surface hype train with the "research" undertaken for Microsoft with a pre-engineered outcome.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Nowhere does it clarify which planet this survey was conducted on.

It clearly wasn't planet earth....

12. tempemeaty

What is and what is not

We the population who are already speaking our opinion of Windows 8 and the Surface with our wallets, we are the office workers. Like Windows 8 and the Surface, dear Forrester we're not buying it.

13. The Axe
    Facepalm

Want or would take?

What was the question? "Do you want a Surface work tablet" or "Would you use a Surface tablet if supplied free by work". I suspect the later.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who lit the Crack pipe again?

The claim 200M office workers is a pipe dream. Just like the 450M office workers who wanted Sharepoint?

I'll smoke some of what they're smoking please !!!!!!!

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Wibble
    WTF?

What's a "Surface"?

I've heard of an iPad. I've used an iPhone. I've seen Android. But I ain't never seen me one of them thar Surface thingies.

Where the feck does this bunch of PR shills find 10,000 "normal" people who've heard of a Surface, let alone have any desire to use one.

I bet the "interview" went something like this:

Q: Would you use a Surface if your company gave you one?

A: What's that?

Q: It's just like an iPad

A: If my company gave me one, yes.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: What's a "Surface"?

probably because of the way the question was worded :)

Q Would you like a surface to work on?

A Hell yes don't steal my desk!

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: What's a "Surface"?

Given the advertising for the RT, probably most of them think it's a follow-up sequel to Glee or High School Musical.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye

We spend a lot of money on research. Gartner take a pile, Forrester a decent slice too. When our strategy meetings finish and we spill out to the bar - having presented various ideas supported by slides of guff from these windbags - we often discuss what a sham of an industry it is. Think financial analysts are bent? Heck, at least they have rules, regulations and regulators.

Still, this gives me hope. I'm guessing I won't need to buy anymore Forrester reports after this crap.

18. Pet Peeve
    WTF?

Wha

Was there a butterfly ballot? Something is very, very wrong here.

19. hungee

Plenty of office workers want a proper desktop experience, know windows fairly well and don't want to learn a new OS. If it wasn't for the crappy battery life the surface pro would be a home run because the idea of a mobile computer/tablet with 8 hrs battery, running office and satisfying IT security needs is a winner. For business people anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Plenty of office workers want a proper desktop experience, know windows fairly well and don't want to learn a new OS. If it wasn't for the crappy battery life the surface pro would be a home run because the idea of a mobile computer/tablet with 8 hrs battery, running office and satisfying IT security needs is a winner. For business people anyway.

Yeah so lets upgrade them from Windows XP to Windows 8 great logic.... If Windows 8 isn't a new OS then why bother upgrading in the first place?

20. teapot9999
    WTF?

very dubious figures

So they claim that 21% of workers currently use a tablet - where?

My company, among other things, produces software for tablets yet still less than 21% have a tablet.

1. Wibble

Re: very dubious figures

At home

21. Roland6 Silver badge

Its obvious why they would want MS - but can MS actually deliver?

Office workers use MS products and largely they work together - although the IT dept will have played a big part in making this happen (and keeping things working). Hence there will be an expectation that Microsoft phone, tablet, laptop/desktop will be able to work together in a way that they've learnt from direct experience their ipad doesn't (with Windows).

Certainly at the present time MS are probably the only vendor with the position and wealth to deliver a fully integrated experience across all office devices; however, the big question is whether MS is actually capable of delivering what the Enterprise needs and its users are expecting - from the recent releases of Windows I'm not so sure ...

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

200 mln want...

0 bought

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ahh, spin...

Funny how when a survey says that MS' tablet strategy is going down the toilet, everyone jumps on it like it's gospel truth, with no criticism, not a second thought as to the validity of the report. As soon as something suggests that MS may be doing well or there is desire for their products, there is ultimate criticism and lots of "well anyone can see this is bollocks" type of comments.

This is supposed to be an IT forum, IT guys are supposed to exhibit critical thinking, not just seeing something they want to be true or don't want to be true and agreeing or objecting based on their worldview.

1. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

Re: Ahh, spin...

This is supposed to be an IT forum, IT guys are supposed to exhibit critical thinking.

Here is a little critical thinking for you AC. IT is after all about numbers.

32% of 9766 is ~= 3125 == 3.1*10e3

200,000,000 is 2*10e8

Thats 5 orders of magnetude!!!

Also it is almost twice the total number of tablets shipped in all of 2012! Canalsys says, "full-year shipments totaling 114.6 million units.”

Ahh, the problem of Large Numbers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because in the real world, we don't know anyone that owns a Surface, or even really knows what one is.

Ditto for Windows Phone

Ditto for Windows 8

So any survey that is so far of of whack with reality MUST be taken with a pinch of salt. Infact the further displaced from reality, the more desperate the party that funded the survey....

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

IT guys are supposed to exhibit critical thinking

Supposed by whom? I'd say the preponderance of evidence weighs against that supposition.

24. Roland6 Silver badge

Office Workers reject BYOD

What is also interesting is that I suspect, like others, that in responding to the survey office workers expect MS Tablets to be provided by their employer.

I suspect that many that currently don't use a tablet (79%) would continue to not use a tablet if it were a BYOD...

25. Nuke
    Stop

"interested in getting" != "want"

"Nearly a third (32 per cent) of the 10,000 office workers interviewed by Forrester said they were interested in getting a Windows Surface tablet for work."

Nice to know how the question was phrased. If I were told that I was to be receiving an iPod, new desk, new photocopier, or most other new pieces of office equipment I would be interested.

If I were told that I was to be executed tomorrow I would also be very interested.

26. Potts

200 million office workers gagging for a... Microsoft Surface

As if!

27. NotMyRealName
    Thumb Down

What gives with this weirdo comment placement? Just who was complaining about the old version? Or perhaps it's the result of a Forrester survey....

28. mhoneywell

I'm pretty sure The Register used to do this years ago, top 5 comments as a headline. Then they moved them all off the page.

Nice to have them back in my view. A blast from the past, and a welcome one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like