back to article Could this be Google's slick new touchscreen Chromebook?

If what purports to be a leaked video turns out to be legit, Google may be planning to shake up the PC hardware market by releasing a new, upscale Chromebook featuring a high-resolution touchscreen display. Rumors of a touchscreen Chromebook have been floating around since last year, but the only sources have been Chinese …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil McAllister

Post your comments here (don't ask, it's a bug)...

2. Lusty

Kind of looks to me like they just filled in the corners of a MacBook Pro to make it square and were done. Oh, they also dropped the resolution :)

Looks good if it's cheap though.

3. myob

Subsidies?

It might be nice if google is trying to sell at super-cheap prices to gain market share. Buy one and install linux, assuming that there is some replaceable HDD/SSD storage. Is there really a market for chrome OS?

1. jason 7
      Happy

Re: Subsidies?

Once people get to know more about ChromeOS yes there will be a market for it.

I've had one for a week and already four of the people I've shown it to have bought one. These are ordinary folks and small business people that really do 90% of their computing in the web with a bit of word processing and the odd spreadsheet.

Normal folks just want something quick and simple to use. ChromeOS does just that. No real need for IT support either. That's the big worry for a lot of people here. If ChromeOS goes big a lot of people will be surplus to requirements.

Google just needs to start pushing it. It has a mighty marketing arm and so far I think it's just been doing an extended beta test.

The computing experience for the masses is about to arrive.

4. Thomas 4

Dunno....

It's nice hardware, if legit but I still don't know about Chrome OS though. How much room do you have to fiddle with a Chromebook, upgrade it, etc?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It looks familiar.....

.. They'll be in court for years ... YEARS!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can it run Win7

Otherwise what's the point.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Company behind the video looks unlikely to actually be working with Google

This guy makes a few excellent points calling the authenticity of this into question:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/laptops/21747/chromebook-pixel

1. The FunkeyGibbon
      Thumb Up

Re: Company behind the video looks unlikely to actually be working with Google

He's bang on. I've not been able to see the video so I can't comment on it but the points yer man makes just add up to a hoax.

2. Ian Yates

Shame. I watched it on G+ earlier and thought that it was the first time that a Chromebook had seemed interesting.

3. ThomH

Then I guess the question is: is it a hoax in the same way that leaked government initiatives are sometimes hoaxes — i.e. the most cost effective way of floating an idea before investing any money in it?

8. Kaltern
    FAIL

Private content.

We're sorry, but we cannot display this content because it has labelled private by it's author.

1. Jeff Engel

You are wrong: it's is reserved for the contraction of "it is". This is known as an exception to the possessive apostrophy s rule.

1. John H Woods Silver badge
        Headmaster

To be really pedantic ...

... its is not an exception to the rule. "Its" doesn't have an apostrophe for the same reason that "yours", "hers" and "ours" don't: they are possessive pronouns. The easy way to remember this is to remember how you would spell "his" -- an apostrophe would obviously be incorrect.

An even easier rule is to never to put an apostrophe in unless you are absolutely sure one is required - its quite possible to pass off an unintended omission as a stylistic choice, whereas the spurious apostrophe cannot be so justified.

1. ed2020
          Thumb Down

Re: To be really pedantic ...

its quite possible to pass off an unintended omission as a stylistic choice

Oh the irony!

And no, an unintended omission is a clear mistake, not a "stylistic choice".

1. Lusty

"And no, an unintended omission is a clear mistake, not a "stylistic choice"."

Actually quite a lot of language experts are debating whether we still need the apostrophe so it's now quite acceptable not to use them.

1. ed2020
              Thumb Down

"Actually quite a lot of language experts are debating whether we still need the apostrophe so it's now quite acceptable not to use them."

The first part of this statement may be true but the conclusion you reach is bollocks, sorry.

1. Lusty

"The first part of this statement may be true but the conclusion you reach is bollocks, sorry."

Language evolves. Anal retentives like yourself are usually the last to change...

1. ed2020
                  Thumb Down

Indeed it does evolve. We just haven't reached the point where not using apostrophes is seen as acceptable by most people with a reasonable grasp of English... regardless of whether some "language experts" are debating it.

Incorrect use of apostrophes can fundamentally change the meaning of a sentence. I don't see this as being anally retentive.

1. Lusty

"Incorrect use of apostrophes can fundamentally change the meaning of a sentence. I don't see this as being anally retentive."

Not to the point that normal people couldn't understand the meaning though, hence why it's fine to leave them out most of the time. The only time it's a problem is pedantic people on the internet trying to appear superior.

1. ed2020
                      Thumb Down

Leaving out apostrophes all of the time makes the writer appear either lazy or ignorant - either the writer doesn't know how to use them or simply can't be bothered. Feel free to appear that way if you wish; I choose not to... In that sense I suppose I am trying to appear superior.

1. Lusty

There used to be people saying that about semicolons too. The simple fact is that normal people just don't care whether these little marks are there or not because they are able to communicate without them. Just like we all get by fine with the words there their and they're when spoken aloud. If what you're saying is true there would be chaos with people misunderstanding each other all the time.

9. Electric Panda
    Trollface

Obvious Photoshopped old Macbook Pro is obvious. Else Google have gone patent trolling too :)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real error message knows how to spell "its".

The post is required, and must contain letters.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4 million pixels?

Or more likely cutting through the marketing droid lies, erm, "talk", that's 4 million individual display elements then. Specifically the usual 4 individual display elements for each composite pixel that most people know them as. Which is a resolution of 1366×768, giving 1049088 individual composite pixels, and 4196352 individual display elements. A coincidence? Maybe, but very similar to the MegaPixel values found on many cameras.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 4 million pixels?

What are you, an idiot? Why would they release a laptop with a 1366×768 resolution and call it Pixel, and have all the marketing be drawing attention to the screen and resolution?

That would be like releasing a new computer called RAM MONSTER with 1gb of ram.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: 4 million pixels?

"That would be like releasing a new computer called RAM MONSTER with 1gb of ram."

Fark me, I need ANOTHER new keyboard.

C.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: 4 million pixels?

Sir I give you the Lenovo Ultrabook

12. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

2560 by 1700

That's a bit more 21st century, if it's true. I can feel my credit card shivering in fear.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: 2560 by 1700

Given that most web apps measure everything on-screen in pixels, you are going to need a good magnifying glass.

-A.

13. Andrew Lobban

Video

Still available at

http://www.androidauthority.com/chromebook-pixel-video-154370/

14. Mark .

"it could potentially ruffle the feathers of its hardware partners in much the same way that Microsoft rankled OEMs by releasing Surface under its own brand."

But is this actually made by Google, or a Google branded device made by a hardware partner, as has been the case with Nexus devices and Chromebooks so far? If the latter, it's no different to before.

(Assuming it isn't just vaporware of course.)

15. Philippe

Will it run on ARM15?

We want great screen, great battery life and we want it now.

P

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like