back to article Google Doodle honors British bone-finder Mary Leakey

Google has honored British archaeologist and paleoanthropologist Mary Leakey with a home page Doodle, celebrating a woman who spent over 60 years uncovering the remains of modern humans and their close cousins. Mary Leakey Google Doodle Mary Nichol was born on February 6, 1913, and began fossil hunting at the age of 12. In a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony Green

Honors?

Surely, honours?

Or isn't this theregister.co.UK?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Honors?

Check the byline.

1. aqk
        Pint

It's interesting that this doodle is featured on Canadian, British, Indian and French (and presumably other nationality) Google websites, but the American one (www.google.com) does not feature it, and remains with the old regular google logo.

Perhaps some of this "prehistoric stuff" - i.e. stuff that is claimed to have occurred before 4004 BC, - is a tad too controversial for Americans?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Honors? Honored!

Check again. Greeted me this morning. Don't know why you (controversially) saw different.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
            Holmes

I think the usage of "byline" was refering to the author and most notably his location......

2. Andrew Moore

"Don't know why you (controversially) saw different."

My guess would be time difference.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It' still Co. UK. Or would you leave an article by a Russiam author in Russian? You can be sure Americans edit to make things look American.

2. Mr Larrington
      FAIL

Never mind the spelling, check out the apostrophe abuse. Pah!

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Unhappy

I haz a sad...

Did I already miss it? Neither google.com nor google.com.au show the Leakey doodle for me. :(

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I haz a sad...

The French one is still showing it, although since its probably based on IP location, ymmv

https://www.google.fr/ and also the Uk version http://www.google.co.uk/

otherwise search google for the following image

mary_leakeys_100th_birthday-1026006-hp.jpg

3. davenewman

British?

Didn't Mary Leakey take Kenyan citizenship after independence, or was it just her children like Philip Leakey?

4. Colin Miller

Wallis Simpson wasn't just a divorcée, she was twice divorced, American and a Catholic. It was, and still is, illegal for the Monarch to be, or to marry, someone who follows the Papist faith, under the Act of Settlement (1701).

1. Twyst
      FAIL

Wallis Simpson was an Episcopalian (i.e an Anglican), and the number of her husbands was immaterial, what mattered was that they were still alive.

1. Colin Miller

For some reason, I got it into my head that she was Catholic, but I was completely wrong on that.

2. jjk
        Terminator

Still alive?

Earlier English monarchs (like the bloke they just dug up) used to have a much more robust approach to that particular problem.

5. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Coat

Interpreting the GOOGLE word is difficult...

I can see the initial G, and the last LE is quite easy.

The dogs obviously have something to do with the middle G, although I can't see it yet.

But the middle OO! I can't tell you how relieved I was when I decided that it must be the glasses, even though that is rather higher on the line of the word than I expected. Following the actual line more closely would put the required OO slightly lower, and on quite a different part of Mary Leakey's anatomy....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't mention "Lucy"!

That was like watching a real-life version of Monty Python's "She's a witch" sketch play out.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't recall her being as plump as the Google Doodle

Doodle doesn't match my recollection.

8. RaymondLesley

Wombles

Shame the 40th anniversary of the first screening of The Wombles was overlooked...

9. Andy Davies

Leakey sought a divorce from his then-pregnant wife to marry Mary

and from our advanced socio-economic perspective that was obviously OK?

This topic is closed for new posts.