back to article Morphlabs to cloud builders: Osmium is kryptonite to Amazon, Rackspace

Cloudy infrastructure provider Morphlabs is revving up its private cloud iron while at the same time wooing service providers with add-on software that makes it easier to run the OpenStack cloud control freak to create public clouds. No one who can do math and configure and run systems well would argue that compute and storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

skills to build a cloud

From the article -

"But despite this, not every company has the skills to build and run a cloud, or wants to invest in those skills – and that's why Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud, and other services are taking off."

It's a wide spread belief that it is simpler to operate in something like the Amazon cloud vs doing things yourself. It's also a spreading belief that organizations actually need "cloud". Most do not, the vast majority do not.

But the real point of my comment is again I want to call out the fact that it requires MORE expertise to properly operate in the amazon cloud vs building your own stuff (e.g. not trying to build your own openstack shit but going more traditional configuration). Because you have real load balancers, you don't have to use a "built to fail" model. You have network configurations that can last for years (e.g. a VM or a host fails, it gets repaired or moved to another host and off you go again - no need to rebuild things and re-configure things due to failure).

Having spent the past decade or so working with infrastructure at internet-facing companies and up until the middle of last year had spent the better part of 2 years working with the horse shit that amazon has in their infrastructure I can say the level of stress alone is worth going it alone. Cost savings, it's comical how much more any public cloud costs vs doing it yourself.

It is common now finding people with the skills to build such infrastructure from the ground up is difficult, most CxOs and other management don't realize the number of gotchas especially when dealing with Amazon cloud, yet alone the other cloud players.

There's a reason why every time amazon has an outage in their US east reason a million different websites go down..

2. Nate Amsden

IOPS

also whoever thinks m1.small amazon can get 14,000 IOPS needs to go back to school. That's roughly 56 x 15k RPM disks.. yeah, I don't think so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like