What happened to the link to the Hardware site?

This topic was created by Prof Denzil Dexter .

1. Prof Denzil Dexter

What happened to the link to the Hardware site?

Anyone notice the hardware link has disappeared? Up in the top right there's a link to Whitepapers and the Channel, Hardware also used to be there.

Can i assume the separate hardware page is being phased out? Recent articles like

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/04/ten_3d_printers/

i would usually expect to see on the hardware page.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: What happened to the link to the Hardware site?

"Anyone notice the hardware link has disappeared?"

Yes, our sister site is being absorbed into The Register: the plan is to put all our tech content under one roof. It's also given us the chance to do a redesign and tidy up in places.

C.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Looks like it. Hardware is now just another section in the masthead. Also they've done something new with their comments. They now seem to be at the bottom of the article, rather than on a separate page. I guess our Register Overlords are changing things again... I never quite understood why they had Channel Reg and Hardware as separate bits anyway, so maybe they'll merge them back in?

3. dogged

I notice the last Hardware story has no comments. Probably because there's no visible way of adding one.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Weird that, some have comments, and you can enter your own, some don't. Maybe there's a hidden button that only shows up after someone else has posted? Or a bug...

1. dogged

Given that they've reviewed the Surface Pro and a Dell WinRT tablet, it could just be an Eadon-suppresion measure.

4. dogged
    FAIL

I defy anyone to find the "Comment" link on the Raspberry Pi article.

Here, try for yourself -

Link to Model A article

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Already noticed there wasn't one.

I think that the real problem here is that the layout we all know, with the bar at the bottom containing the comment counts and links to the seperate comment area, would have "This article has comments disabled" (or something like that) in place of the comments link. That indication is lacking in this layout.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

Indeed, they need to add a line of text saying "Comments disabled, bitch" or something. Saying that though, why would comments be disabled on a story about the R pi?

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: dogged

"I defy anyone to find the 'Comment' link on the Raspberry Pi article."

That article, and a couple of others I've spotted, should have had comments enabled on them but there's no link. The gurus are meditating.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: dogged

They should be doing rather than meditating.

5. andy 28
    Unhappy

and the print option?

There used to be a 'print' button to make it more 'work friendly' and save having to do the next page, next page thing every few paragraphs.

Not worth fighting through all the non article bits to read anything in hardware now and looks like the other sections are going the same way.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: and the print option?

"There used to be a 'print' button"

It's still there! Under the comments button and above the Twitter/Facebook likes.

"save having to do the next page, next page thing every few paragraphs"

We're having a bit of an internal ponder about pages. You'll notice that The Channel has done away with multi-page articles. But hardware reviews may be just too unwieldy with lots of text and pics.

As always, it's impossible to please everyone.

C.

1. andy 28

Re: and the print option?

"It's still there! Under the comments button and above the Twitter/Facebook likes"

Blimey, so there is. Thanks! Wouldn't have found it in a million years.

So long as there's a print button there can be as many (or few!) pages as you like!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon