back to article Tories call for big changes to cybercrime offences

Civil servants who lose public data could be prosecuted under proposals announced by the Conservative Party. It's one of a number of measures touted, as the Tories call for major changes in how the UK deals with cybercrime and data protection. The Tories' report - Tackling Cybercrime - calls for new offences for civil servants …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

legalise it

legalise cybercrime, criminalise stupidity.

2. b166er

Under the guise of

punishing civil servants who lose public data. But really, in the background, laying down a procedure for criminalising the UK's internet population.

3. Alex Wright
    Flame

Banks should bloody sign their emails!

Its not as if banks lack cryptographic hardware and software. If they signed their emails, it would be a hell of a lot easier to put off the phishers.

Of course, they are far to busy earning multi billion pound profits to spend money on security. I mean, look at how they went for the cheap Chip and Pin option that didn't have a way for the cards to verify the readers and encrypt the connection to the bank. Oh look, there is now fake readers doing the rounds...

GAAAH!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No deep thought from deep blue

Reinforcing the attitude that what's wrong with doing something criminal is being found out. Now that is respect for the law! Inverted.

Or perhaps they're just rehearsing their moves before joining the Borg after the next election.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

5. Jamie
    Linux

No problem

Bring in punishment for the civil servants, but I would love to see the actual politicians in charge of these departments being held accountable and being tried and hanged (sorry meant jailed).

As for phishing, just don't answer any emails from big companies, too easy to get bent over if you do.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

The use of the word "cyber" shall never cease to entertain me.

7. heystoopid
    Alert

Welkome

Welkome to Police State Great Britain in the 21st Century of Propaganda Rules and the ideals of innocence , freedom and democracy are so last century !

8. Tim

Maybe

The cybercrime unit would consider spam as one of it's primary targets? It's about time someone did something.

As for the rest, er is this the same Tory party that 6 months ago was proposing to abolish the Data Protection Act? A nice bit of consistency.

9. Andy S

somehow i think not

"Civil servants who lose public data could be prosecuted under proposals announced by the Conservative Party"

They could also be prosecuted under the data protection act but, strangely, they're not. Introducing something else for them to be prosecuted under is a little pointless if you're not even going to bother enforcing the ones we already have. Of course, actually enforcing the current laws doesn't make as interesting news as introducing new, redundant, laws.

10. Marit

Protection for Crows

"Establishing a cybercrime team within the Crow Prosecution Service"

What did the crows do to deserve it???

Seriously thought did anyone think to spell check a major public policy document? I knew the scum tories were incompetent, didn't think they were that incompetent

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Crow Prosecution Service

No, you have it wrong. It isn't a service for prosecuting Crows, but one run by them. Think Hitchcock. Just train the Crows to recognise spammers & let them off the leash...

12. Freddie

In other news...

Tories propose laws making plane crashes illegal, along with new taxes on anything which gets into the media spotlight.

I almost want the Tories to get into power just to see what they actually do when they have to put these jokes into practice. Almost.

This topic is closed for new posts.