back to article HP reels in late for LTO-6 party, yells: Tape is BA-ACK

HP has launched its LTO-6 tape products and rebranded all its tape hardware under the StoreEver name, saying the tape goodies are now an integrated part of its Converged Storage product set. It's late to the LTO-6 party, following IBM, Quantum, Oracle, and SpectraLogic. Better late than never though. The general manager of HP' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trygve Henriksen

6.25TB compressed?

Who the F! cares about the 'compressed capacity'?

I have to back up a large library of pictures(creeping towards 10TB), and I challenge anyone to get a 2:1 compression(or whatever imaginary ratio that the storage manufacturer has dreamt up while smoking his socks) on that...

I NEED to know the real capacity when planning a new tape library setup, so that I can get a big enough robot and also have enough tapes available for vaulting/offsite rotation.

1. rch

Re: 6.25TB compressed?

If all your data is incompressible the task of calculating library size should be an easy one. If you only have 10TB of data the smallest library available should suffice and even accommodate a significant growth.

I guess the manufacturers compression ratio is based on a typical mix of data. Something between zip-files on one side and empty Oracle tablespaces on the other. Ours is 1:1.6 over 800 filled tapes. 1:2 is probably a little optimistic but not far off the mark.

2. rch

Converged the HP way?

"HP has launched its LTO-6 tape products and rebranded all its tape hardware under the StoreEver name, saying the tape goodies are now an integrated part of its Converged Storage product set."

Does converged here mean that tape and other storage appear under the same name on a Powerpoint slide or is it any more to it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like