back to article Rent-seekers target school laptops in Oz election year

School, parent and teacher lobbies around Australia are gearing up to persuade the government to continue funding the laptops-in-schools program due to expire in June 2013. As noted in the National Partnership Agreement on the Digital Education Revolution (available here), the funding formalised between the federal government …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

knowing this government they will promise ipads for everyone just to strangle out a few more votes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, you must be mistaken with the little balding fella with big black glasses.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buying votes in an election year?

Surely a politician would never dream of doing something like that.

1. Charles Manning

Or not...

The government pays for nothing. It is only the tax payers that pay anything.

While hand outs will buy votes from those that pay less tax than they receive hand outs, they cost votes in areas where the people pay more tax than they receive hand outs.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

You've made an unwarranted assumption

That the average voter both understands that they're paying for this in higher taxes and that there are more or equivalent number who pay more than they receive in these handouts.

Plus another more hidden assumption that taxes would be lower without this spending - which isn't necessarily true, as Governments also get money from borrowing and inflation.

Inflation hits the ones not getting handouts, borrowing hits your old age and your kids.

3. david 12 Silver badge

Northcote

Northcote is home territory for the Labour party, but also, because of it's demographic and technical orientation, one of the few schools where you would expect that government funded laptops would actually be an effective use of money. Voters there will be expecting federal labour support, and will be disapointed if they don't get it. Unlike Q. and Western Sydney, these labour voters have not already decided that they've been cheated by labour, so their vote is there for the party to loose.

I think the fed's should step out of the state-school system -- I think that split responsibility is leading to failure of responsibility -- but I don't expect anyone to be that sensible. No matter how sensible the arguments put up by Northcode, and no matter how stupid the arguments put up by other schools, this will be decided on political grounds, not technical.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is the money has already run out, program ends in June yet we have gotten no funding for this years round when we were promised the money and many other schools are in this situation. That leaves a $250,000 shortfall that our school cannot cover and now we have a year without laptops, yes we were planning a model that didn't involve the government handouts but we were operating on the assured assumption it wouldn't need to be until next year. Then again we're in South Australia so the Feds don't really care about us, less votes to be had here.

5. southpacificpom
    Devil

An IT salesman I knew said to me once that that the education sector were the easiest and most gullible market to sell to as most wanted the latest and greatest, (for them to brag about), gadgets and did little to factor in upgrade/maintenance cost for items purchased. Looks like more of the same...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Depends

Private or public? Private schools like to boast of their "latest and greatest" as it helps to sell the school to the fee paying parents. I work for an IT reseller and I regularly hear school IT managers confirm this.

This topic is closed for new posts.