back to article Cloud doctors, DevOps and unconferences: Pass the Vicodin

At the recent London CloudCamp - "an unconference where early adopters of Cloud Computing technologies exchange ideas" - there was a lot of discussion about DevOps on the UnPanel. As the discussion went on, I was expecting the stage to be stormed by some of the older members in the audience. Certainly some of the tweets and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

really?

I don't take Vicodin, but if you're giving out awards for real-life BOFH's (apologies to Simon) then you'll need to send me one.

2. Martin Maisey
    Thumb Up

Ops is never going away...

Completely agree - recent post with more detail at http://mjmaisey.tumblr.com/post/41018554265/devops-and-noops

3. koolholio
    Angel

Devs rule, Geeks rule, Ops think they rule

The "happy as larry ecosystem"

Very much agreed --- "The fact that many developers do write awful code does not mean this is universally applicable."

Its interesting how it refers to the layers... of the OSI model? However this is different from knowing ITIL or other frameworks, which are (ab)/used commonly.

Doesnt cloud require hardware? even on a client and server side.

I guess an Operational Developer is better than a dysfunctional one though?

Fundamentally, I'd rather leave GPs out of my comment.

4. lamont

The main point of DevOps

Put the SDEs oncall for their own software bugs, and close the loop so that the SDEs are just tossing an unlimited amount of operational problems over the chinese wall between dev and ops and getting all their own technical debt "off their books" so to speak.

1. James R Grinter

Re: The main point of DevOps

Get the development teams to work with the operational teams, so that they have something that can actually be 'operated' as a coherent system. That's the key...

5. justincormack
    Go

if you...

...disagree with the panel at Cloudcamp you are supposed to red card them and er storm the stage... (actually I was on the panel for a bit).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: if you...

Wasn't it only if you thought they were selling?

I disagreed on certain angles of the devops part, but much like Martin I welcome DevOps so I can get on with more interesting projects, I just felt too much of the thrust was centered on devops but I was more an observer felt bad for the bloke who got sent off at the start.

Also some of the other stuff was just off "if the cso is a problem get rid of him!" was a general thrust at one point and you were left wandering "but then whose responsible when it all goes to pot?" People asked but it got kicked into the long grass. Another interesting topic kicked into the long grass was about what happens when everyone has 100mb pipes at home and the panel were like "it will be wonderful!" With little thought to the impact on backbone bandwidth and traffic shaping to stop your poor old cloud getting spanked but all the browsers slurping at your site.

TBH my best bit of CloudCamp was the opening speaker setting the scene that then seemed to disappear from the rest of the event - but omnom pizza and beers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like