back to article Oh, Sony, you big tease: Mystery PlayStation reveal date set

Sony has called on hacks and analysts to come to New York next month for an event focused on the PlayStation - an invite that's left pundits and fans predicting the unveiling of the long-awaited PlayStation 4. Naturally, Sony isn’t saying, confirming only that the electronics giant will be discussing its PlayStation business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Valeyard
    Facepalm

I hope to God I still have the option for physical copies that allow offline play

I still have my old spccies, c64 and cpc464, snes and nes etc and i love breaking them out for some old games. in 30 years and i get nostalgiac for some ps4 games i don't want to be stopped with errors because the sony server was decommissioned years before

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would think that in 30 years time the world will be quite different to now. The future isn't looking very good, overpopulation, energy supplies are uncertain etc.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Devil

If everybody is gaming like crazy, overpopulation should be a manageable problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Physical Copies

Still very much needed, especially with the size of games that will ship with the new console.

Very few people have access to internet fast enough to download 25+GB without waiting several days for it to complete.

Especially with internet companies selling punters connections with download restrictions and/or traffic shaping.

1. wowfood
        Happy

Fiar use policy?

Yeah, sure you can download that 20gb game. But half way through we're cutting you down to 56k speeds, why? Fair use, you're abusing the network by downloading too much.

Oh and if you download another game when your speeds jump back up again not only will we throttle you, we'll lock your internet connection and hold it to ransom.

Honestly there are 3 things I'm hoping for

1: Huge hard disk and the ability to install games

2: SSD Cache disk, so when I start to pay things don't spend hours loading

3: Two graphics chips... What? They're aiming for stereoscopic 3d at 60fps AND getting out 4k resolution games. A pair of mid range cards would be both cheaper and superior to the single high end. For this purpose anyway.

One thing I am glad about though, the (rumoured) cpu and graphics chip can be put on the same die. If they're aiming for low cost and high bandwidth connections this would be the best possible option for them. Shove everything onto a single chip, less power waste, better bandwidth, smaller form factor, cheaper production (apparently, not so sure on this myself)

But we'll see when the announcement comes around.

I would laugh so much if the announcement was "We're dropping out of consoles" mostly to hide my tears... *sony fanboy*

1. Maxson

Re: Fiar use policy?

There's a greater chance of David Icke admitting he's full of shit than there is of 3d 4k resolution games that even run at 30FPS on the next Playstation or Xbox (Unless the game is as graphically complex as Bit.Trip.runner). The graphics card will at best be about as powerful as a Radeon HD 7850. Nothing to sniff at but not something that will run Skyrim in 3d at 4k resolution at 60FPS.

3. Combustable Lemon
      Alert

"I still have my old spccies, c64 and cpc464, snes and nes etc and i love breaking them out for some old games. in 30 years and i get nostalgiac for some ps4 games i don't want to be stopped with errors because the sony server was decommissioned years before"

I think the main problem here is that by this time you will have used your Playstation 4 to keep the undead hordes at bay by hitting them with it and are now wearing what remains of it as a sort of improvised armour in the "Apophis" asteroid torn world of 2043.

1. wowfood

that and

The nintendo / sega were built to last. As were the older machines. the 360 / ps3 were built to last up until the point the warrenty expired.

1. Matt 21

Re: that and

You may have a point but my PS3, PS2 and PS are all still running, years beyond their guarantee period.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: that and - lead free solder

The biggest device killer of the decade, no flexability as they heat = solder joints breaking

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: that and - lead free solder

Can the downvoter explain why lead free solder is better?

Search on lead free solder cracking, also whiskering.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to mention if like me you are in your late 30s, in 30 years time you'll be knocking on 70. Can't really see myself being a gaming pensioner.

Development of technology is too fast now. TVs had very little development from the 1970s to the early 2000s. Bigger and more reliable, different shape (16:9) and that's about it.

Good luck finding a TV to plug your PS4 into something in 30 years time.

1. MJI Silver badge

Oi

50 and still gaming.

As to TVs I can still plug a 1982 VCR into a 2009 TV if I want

2. Maxson

My New TV still has a coaxial aerial port and several SCART ports, and what it doesn't have a Chinese ebay seller will always be able to provide a converter for. Unless you reckon China and online sales are going away too.

There's plenty of gaming pensioners who only started in their old age, so I can very much see me still being a gamer in 50-70 years, health permitting..

4. sisk

In thirty years nothing built by Sony this decade is going to be working anymore anyway, so you don't have anything to worry about. This ain't the Sony we grew up with. This one make high-priced cheap crap built to last until the warranty period is up instead of the high quality get-what-you-pay-for stuff they made back in the 80s and 90s that still runs today.

5. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Wake me up when it's been cracked....

1. hplasm
        Happy

Shhh

He's sleeping...

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Valeyard

I guess for Sony it's been ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm amazed they can afford to do a new model. I imagine that optical disks may disappear this time or at least be optional or for blu-ray playback only.

I can't imagine that anyone would make a games console these days that relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic.

1. Zilla

If they offer download distribution they completely ruin the shops that sell these games and the distribution which they rely on to sell the actual console itself.

That and not everyone has the connectivity to download a 25GB game....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's only 25GB because of all the annoying video content that most people skip.

Do you really need to download it all in one chunk? it could actually be downloading it while you play the game.

Honestly, some people need to get with the times. Almost every other market has moved to downloads.

2. Idocrase

They don't care about high street shops anymore. If they did, they would be supporting pre-owned game trading.

Sony, M$, even nintendo, do not care in the slightest about shops. At the moment it's a collapsing marketplace, since you can be pretty much guaranteed to get your /anything/ cheaper online. Manufacturers know this, and are marketing more and more to internet users, and buyers, and less to bricks and mortar stores. Just look at the near-collapse of Game group - they took over gamestation, competed them against their existing Game stores on the same high street, closed down whichever was making less money, and re branded the survivors as Game.

In the middle of this of course, they skated the edge of bankruptcy and only survived by closing dozens of stores. And the REASON for all this was that companies like EA made sure you could no longer make a profit selling pre-owned copies of their games. All the others followed suit soon thereafter and the pre-owned market died almost overnight. Stores that HAD co-existed quite profitably, suddenly could no longer survive.

If consoles go the same way, and ditch physical copies, this will a: make publishers ECSTATIC, console gamers will be tied into a single platform and a single distribution method, and there can be zero pre-owned market, which publishers always have regarded as some kind of legal piracy. And of course b: Not having to pay the extra premium to a shop for the privilege of paying minimum wage clerks will save consumers cash. Camera retailers have learned this the hard way, only supermarkets stock cameras now, the last real camera shops died with Jessops, and they've been out-competed by online stores for nearly ten years now.

The High Street is dead. All we can do is catch the fire-sales before the last of the doors are locked.

1. Greg J Preece

Not having to pay the extra premium to a shop for the privilege of paying minimum wage clerks will save consumers cash

Er, no it bloody won't. EA and the like want rid of that overhead, but not so they can charge less for games. Their games aren't any cheaper online, and are often more expensive, because the profit margins rapidly increase in size.

Honestly, with the way most publishers are treating the customer like shit these days, overcharging for release content while simultaneously holding more content back for DLC - even stuff already made and on the disc you bought - along with their many other heinous practices, I think we may be heading for the second video game crash. There's only so far you can push people.

Bring it on.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"store ... allowed to be ... expensive"

"allowed"?

A *SHOP can charge whatever they like for the wares that they sell. No permission is required.

Competition is supposed to have a tempering effect to make prices fair. That's capitalism, see...

2. g e
      Stop

Yet likewise

I can't imagine any right-minded person buying games online-only with the keys to whether or not they're allow to have continued access to said purchased game in someone else's hands. (Add Ultraviolet to that sentiment, also)

People do still pop round to see friends to play multiplayer on games that only one of them has got, too, right?

1. Idocrase

Re: Yet likewise

Game publishers see this as some obscure form of piracy, which they can't quite figure out how to get rid of. But they're working on it...

3. VaalDonkie

Being from Africa...

It costs me around 25 of your first world Pounds in data charges to download an average-sized XBox game. Add that onto actually paying for said game, and a piece of plastic from a shop seems like a good idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Being from Africa...

same here, although I have to pay Tsh 10,000 (~5 quids) for a 3 days unlimited mobile connection. So instead I import my games from the UK; I just have to wait for 2-4 weeks for it to arrive -unless it gets lost.

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Being from Europe - Slovenia I also import the games from the UK... I save ~15eur with shipping included on new titles I preorder compared to local rip-off prices of 60eur+their own fat margins on top(20eur or more).

1. wowfood

It's almost depressing when you think about it.

UK gets ripped off when compared to USA, so we import stuff from there

Eastern Europe / africa get ripped off in comparison to UK so they import from us.

What a strange world we live in.

On the note of downloads, personally I'm in preference of them, but I know they aren't for everyone. I just wish that sony would let the price drop over time. I remember seeing games 3 years old on the PS store for £40 still, while they were only £15 in stores at that point.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic."

Well, according to sells figures, millions of people still buy physical copies; whether they order it online or walk into a shop is a different matter! Plus many are still have no connect or a slow connection at home.

5. Tom 35
      Trollface

Yes, down with plastic

No way for evil gamers to dare resell their licensed games, or stores to make money without giving it all to us! Everyone has to buy their own new game, sorry license for as long as we decide to keep the servers up.

Everyone needs an internet connection so we can be sure to sell them lots of DLC by making it impossible to win without buying extras.

Everything will be great.

6. Greg J Preece

I can't imagine that anyone would make a games console these days that relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic.

"Relies on" != "has the option of"

This is Sony we're talking about. Their store is allowed to be so horrendously expensive that the games in it are often 20 quid more on launch day than the physical copies in the shop down the road.

3. Shrimpling

Unless they change their game pad design I'm still not interested.

I hate getting "Playstation Thumb"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Goldmember

"They are changing the controller"

They said that last time. They even went as far as producing prototypes and press images featuring controllers with those elongated handle things on them. The end result was almost exactly the same as the previous 2, though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "change their game pad design"

According to rumors they have indeed changed the game pad design. The rumors state that the new version will have a small screen in the middle!

3. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

I do hope they'll keep the ds3 nice and clean as it is... It's a great controller and have no issues with it even with my large hands.

4. jai

really? does anyone use the d-pad these days to do more than just select items? if you're using it to walk or drive around, you're doing it wrong, or your playing the wrong games!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Depends on the game

For movement you are right the analogue sticks are much better than the d-pad. For games that might require a quick series of direction changes such as SSX or Fifa to pull off complicated special moves the d-pad wins every time

1. jai
          Coat

Re: Depends on the game

like i say, you're playing the wrong games then :)

(j/k i do love a bit of SSX)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Trollface

Re: Depends on the game

Sonic 2006 or Sonic Generations

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

D-pad?

Tekken!

4. Silverburn

who wants to wait for a 25GB one-off download to finish?

Me!

I'll be buggered if I have to rely on Virgin Media to download "4k" content between levels at peak hours. No friggin' way!

5. JDX Gold badge

Prediction

It will not be download only.

It will not render at 4k

It will have the grunt to render at 1080p (most Ps3 games don't)

It will have 3D functionality

It might use a special high-capacity blu-ray

In other words it will be a more powerful PS3. Consoles are generally of similar grunt to a mid-level gaming PC at time of launch, at best. So I predict we'll get a console which can push full 1080p HD to the limit, and maybe upscale to 4k, but nothing more.

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Re: Prediction

The issue with PS3 games and not doing 1080p is in the publishers being payed off by microsoft to not allow higher than 720p because you know... xbox360 just doesn't do it. Or publishers basically going we want everyone to have the same experience which means lowest common denominator which is the xbox360 again.

I have quite a few titles on the PS3 that do 1080p just fine. Most are sony first party studios some are multi platform.

1. JDX Gold badge

It's still a strain on the limited resources - I'm sure some games even render at less than 720p (early titles perhaps).

It's very game specific, but when I worked in the industry it was a big deal to NEVER drop below 50/60 FPS for any reason.

2. dogged
        WTF?

The issue with PS3 games and not doing 1080p is in the publishers being payed off by microsoft to not allow higher than 720p because you know... xbox360 just doesn't do it.

Mine does 1080i without issue. Anyway, how do you explain PS3 exclusive titles that still don't do 1080p? Is that Microsoft's fault, too?

eeeesh, fanboys.

1. wowfood

In terms of the games released. Most developers create a game based on the first platform of the generation. It's why when teh xbox came out, despite being more powerful than ps2, the games were worse in many cases, they were made for ps2 and then ported over.

This generation the reverse is true, they make games for the 360, and then they're ported over to PS3. The games are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

I will agree that there are some 1st party sony titles that don't make use of 1080, but at the same time the graphics on the PS3 were... sub par, basically a cut down 7800.

Funnily enough, early rumours suggested that once again the card would be equivalent to a cut down 7800, only this time it's an ATI.

Now considering a 7850 can get over 30fps running crysis 2 with res2560x1440, 4x AA, AFx16, Quality UltraHighRes Textures On

I imagine it could fairly easily play most games in 1090p at 60fps (note most, not all) likewise it could probably handle the grunt of a 3d game with relative ease.

At the same time however I also doubt this setup could handle 4k resolutions. Which is why I expect some form of crossfire to be used, Considering the CPU itself as an integrated 7660 onboard, throw in another graphics chip like a 7750, and it could be quite possible to get some games (but not all) running in 4k resolutions (although I'd expect 30fps at best). Or heck, possibly two of these, and use the graphics cores on the CPU to crunch physics calculations.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"This generation the reverse is true, they make games for the 360, and then they're ported over to PS3. The games are aimed at the lowest common denominator."

No, it's even more basic than that. Sony's toolchain and developer support is rather lacking. Because the PS3 involves a lot of underpowered elements but a lot of parallelism, in order to achieve good performance, you have to exploit the latter.

The toolchain provided does a very poor job of abstracting or managing this, which means that very specific and far-reaching changes need to be made to get even a broadly equivalent performance out of the PS3 version of a game. Exclusives written from the ground up for that console specifically tend to do a lot better as it has to run acceptably *somewhere*, and the developers usually have more time to bang their heads against their threading models and the like.

The second big problem with the PS3 is just a lack of main memory, which really hobbles it. There is some shared stuff that is used for video memory, but the dedicated non-video memory is also a mere 256k. It's a bit of a nightmare to work in, with a lot of modern games. Witness all the halfwits crying and screaming about a conspiracy because it took ages to get Skyrim DLC working on the PS3, when it was a bloody miracle and some very nice work to get the base game crowbarred in initially.

No, what happens this generation is that multi-platform titles get a largely high level language port with some "low hanging fruit" tweaks to gain obvious performance or shinyshiny wins. If the toolchain is good and the platform has useful hardware resources, then the results are better, it's that simple. Never attribute to malice (etc.).

Hopefully Sony will have learned their lesson, it's in their interests. A really kickass toolchain would do wonders for the quality of PS4 games.

1. Wilseus
              Mushroom

"Hopefully Sony will have learned their lesson"

Judging by just about every previous example of Sony's behaviour in these matters that I can think of, I wouldn't bet on it!

2. Lusty

"This generation the reverse is true, they make games for the 360, and then they're ported over to PS3. The games are aimed at the lowest common denominator."

no they don't, they code a game engine, or reuse one then write a story and make pictures to support it. NOTHING is coded "to the console"

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, yes, it's obviously a conspiracy, rather than an old console being somewhat lacking in grunt. That obviously involves fewer wild assumptions and keeps the tinfoil budget down. Muppet.

4. TheVogon
        Mushroom

The actual reason that most games on both platforms are better / faster / higher resolution on the Xbox is that the Xbox has a) a more powerful GPU than the PS3, b) a faster EDRAM frame buffer, and c) a hardware scaler.

1. 1Rafayal
          FAIL

Dont be daft.

I have copies of Call of Duty x and Modern Warfare x for both platforms (I have 360 friends and PS3 friends).

The games are identical on my TV.

I think a lot of people dont get that the majority of studios who produce cross platform games dont bother making a PS3 or 360 specific version. Take Capcom for instance, they create one version of a game and then port it over to either console.

When it comes to predictions, there have been quite a lot of articles on Kotaku with regards to the physical media that could be used on the PS4. I think initially, there was to be none, but thankfully Sony relented.

Even though the console will be pretty pricey, removing the ability to play games from a disc would harm markets where internet connectivity is poor (for example, in Somerset).

I think the most worrying thing is plans to prevent pre-owned games from running, this would piss me off to no end and would likely do the same for a great many people.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I would stop using the internet as your source of information, as it's utter tripe.

Whilst the Xbox only has 1 GPU, the PS3 has both the RSX and the Cell to do GPU rendering, and when used like this, it's in the region of 7x more powerful than what the Xbox360 can achieve (pick up a PS3 exclusive if you want to see it in action).

The EDRAM is a Xbox360 specific thing too. When using streaming textures from the Cell to the RSX, the PS3 is about 28x faster than the Xbox360. Pick up Uncharted and wonder why there is never any loading screens. Because it's coded properly to take advantage of texture streaming.

The PS3 has a perfectly fine hardware scaler thank you very much. Anyone that says otherwise is looking at a Microsoft funded blog from 2006 for their information. It was always there, but the VERY early PS3 SDK did not expose it, hence this myth. It's been available for use since 2008..

Next thing you will be telling us that DVD is faster than Blu-Ray (go check your facts on that one too, real facts that factor in CLV/CAV differences). The PS3's Blu-Ray is about 20% quicker at worst and about 45% quicker at best (depending where in the Xbox DVD disk you want to measure data throughput).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The PS3 RSX has 24 pixel shader pipelines and 8 vertex shader pipelines. It’s capable of 136 shader operations per clock, It's clocked at 550 MHZ and performs 74.8 billion shader operations per second.

The Xbox Xenos is clocked at 500 MHZ but has 48 unified shader units or pipelines. It performs 192 shader operations per clock and therefore is capable of 96 billion shader operations per second.

Whatever the CPU behind it does, the PS3 is limited by that inherently less powerful GPU.

The PS3 DOES NOT have a dedicated hardware scaler. It uses a software hacked horizontal scaler which comes at a CPU cost.

eDRAM is the prime reason more games on the 360 use MSAA (the most effective AA setting) than on the PS3. It's also a big reason why multiplatform games in general tend to look better on the X360. eDRAM allows for extremely fast access to framebuffers. It can essentially put off a huge workload when it comes to textures, AA and framebuffers, one reason why the X360 is more efficient with memory.

The 12X DVD drive in the Xbox IS up to twice as fast as the Blu Ray in the PS3, and never slower - which is why you have to copy the whole of many PS3 games to disk before you can even play them...

Blu-ray 2x: 8MBps

12x DVD: 8.2 - 16.5MBps

1. Joerg
              Thumb Down

"The PS3 DOES NOT have a dedicated hardware scaler. It uses a software hacked horizontal scaler which comes at a CPU cost." -- YOU ARE ON CRACK! YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

REALLY.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

If you believe otherwise then please tell us which chip contains a dedicated hardware scaler and provide proof of this?

The PS3 can do HORIZONTAL ONLY scaling, and whilst it is hardware accelerated, it still has a software dependency (i.e. uses CPU), and as stated IT DOES NOT HAVE A DEDICATED HARDWARE SCALER.

The Xbox 360 has a dedicated hardware scaler than presents no CPU load and can scale properly (horizonally and vertically. For the record, in the Xbox 360, this is the 'ANA' chip.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You know you can have multiple GPU's right? PS3 games, much of the work is done by the Cell, and the RSX is nothing more than a framebuffer (most games these days take advantage of it's capabilities too however),.

In short, your Microsoft fed numbers falsely assume the PS3 has a single GPU, when it's actually got two. Hence totally invalid.

PS3 has a hardware scaler always has had. You fail here too.

And Blu-Ray speeds are quicker than the Xbox DVD. These numbers are FACT and no amount of Microsoft spin (pun) can change them....

2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s))

Single Layer (2x CLV) - Constant Linear Velocity (Same speed across entire disk)

Double Layer - (2x CLV) - Constant Linear Velocity (Same speed across entire disk)

Entire Blu-ray Disk is read at 9MB/s.

12x DVD-Rom Drive SL (9.25MB/S-15.85MB/s(AVG ~8x(10.57MB/s) DL (4.36MB/s-10.57MB/s(AVG ~6x(7.93MB/s)

SL(DVD-5) 12x Max (5-12x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)

DL(DVD-9) 8x Max (3.3-8x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)

SL DVD is 1.57MB/s > SL Blu-ray

DL DVD is 1.07MB/s < SL Blu-ray

Majority of 360 games are on DVD-9, which is only DVD8x.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
                WTF?

2007-01-26

Google is a great thing. What the fuck, Sony?

And so we arrive at last to the most recent development, the late January PlayStation 3 SDK update. Amongst the newer versions of the various tools included in the SDK lies a new function: the ability for developers to use some of the functionality of the fabled hardware scaler, a scaler many previously doubted existed at all. Interestingly enough, "some" is the key word when describing the unlocked functionality; SCEI only gave access to hardware accelerated horizontal scaling. Horizontal scaling on its own cannot upscale a 720p image into 1080p/i --this would require both horizontal and vertical scaling. Hence, the newly exposed scaler functionality is not enabled in the PS3's user interface directly, but instead will still require developer support to work.

At the time of publication, the reasons why SCEI didn’t give developers access to both horizontal and vertical scaling are still unknown, as are the reasons they didn’t grant developers access to horizontal scaling until now. The video scaler itself remains shrouded in mystery, as strange as it may seem, but at least now we can say with confidence that it does indeed exist. There are multiple reasons for this continuing secrecy, and insiders are reluctant to discuss them even off the record, nevermind for publication. Nonetheless, the reasons behind SCEI's choices are not our subject today. While a great deal could (and will) be said about the nature of this scaler in the future, today's article will focus on the recently exposed functionality; the details of its hardware and the way that it is integrated into the PlayStation 3’s architecture will be reserved for a later article.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

The Google post sums it up - the PS3 does not have a dedicated hardware scaler. What is referred to in that post (as is made clear in the whole article) is a hardware accelerated (i.e. software driven) scaler - that can scale horizontally only.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You 'could' have multiple GPUs, but you don't. The Cell is not a GPU - Sony don't provide any GPU code for it - all of the GPU processing is via the RSX. Hence the limitations as above. This is obvious from the fact that across many releases that are on both platforms, the vast majority refresh faster, and / or look better, run at a higher resolution, and / or have better AA on the Xbox than on the PS3.

As above the PS3 has a hardware accelerated horizontal only scaler - not a dedicated scaler that scales horizontally and vertically at zero CPU cost like the Xbox 360.

Thanks for wasting loads of space with irrelevant figures on speed. Nice cut and paste from the internet btw, that you clearly don't understand - firstly you state that Bluray is 9MB/s - then you state that DVD @ 1.57 MB/S is faster!

Those DVD figures are just rubbish - the actual Xbox 12x DVD speed range from ~ 8-16MB/S - and can be optimised to put frequently used content in the faster areas of the disk.

This is why the PS3 is crippled by having to cache pretty much everything to disk before you can play it.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-players/354919-2x-blu-ray-what-its-data-transfer-rate.html

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed, it's total tripe that the PS3 can't do 1080P 60FPS. Many PS3 exclusives have no trouble at all (GT5, WipeoutHD etc..)

What the real problem of course (and the problem nobody wants to upset Microsoft by talking about), is the Xbox Can't do it, so a whole generation of multiplatform titles have had to be reined in, just to cater for their rushed out pile of crap.

Sure the Xbox fanboys will downvote me, but it doesn't make it any less true.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The issue with PS3 games and not doing 1080p is in the publishers being payed off by microsoft to not allow higher than 720p because you know... xbox360 just doesn't do it."

You sir are a total frikkin spanner. You really think that with current game coding technology the developer gives two hoots what resolution the game is rendered at? The coder describes the environment and physics, the graphics hardware renders it at whatever resolution it can and the console will generate pictures based on this.

Are people really that lazy these days that they can't be arsed with exercise or even to learn why their games render the way they do? might as well end it now...

2. Richard 22

My prediction;

- They will offer a download-only cost-reduced version (if not at launch, at some point in it's lifecycle)

- It will have 4k output with upscaling for Blu-ray

- Sony will offer downloads of 4k films for playback on the device (again, if not at launch then later on)

- Games may only be rendered at 1080p, but this will be more of an all-round entertainment device.

6. MJI Silver badge
    Mushroom

Will buy when

A must buy game appears on it.

I hope it still supports all the PS3 controllers, that would help.

But rumoured launch games may force a purchase. Explain what Naughty Dog other team and Guerilla Amsterdam have been up to? NDs other team should be near with another Uncharted but no noise even - unless this is due to TLOU delays. And Guerilla, I know Cambridge are working on a Vita game, but the main office, two years since KZ3, should have seen a KZ4 at last years E3, this to me says KZ4 is a launch game.

And of course Polyphony has mentioned GT6 is well under way.

I am going for the 4 big launch games are

Uncharted 4

Killzone 4

Gran Turismo 6

The Last Guardian

<------ Red Dust

1. Joseph Lord
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Will buy when

GT6 as a launch game? Do you remember how long GT5 was in development? I think it was meant to be available soon after PS3 launch but it didn't ship until November 2010.

I really wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: GT5 Infamous 3

Yes I do and I lost all interest by then.

Howver it is about the right time span and the rumours are coming from that directions

As to Sucker Punch - I think new IP is more likely.

Also I can't see all of MM doing Tearaway

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tripe.

Full Gran Turismo games have NEVER been launch titles, nor have they ever been advertised as being. There is sometimes a prologue version out, but the real deal has never arrived on either PS1/PS2 or PS3 until mid-generation.

Go check your facts. Just because it was fun to jump on the GT5 delayed again bandwagon, doesn't make it any more true.

All you have done is make yourself look a total idiot that believes anything written on the internet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What about inFAMOUS 3? :-(

Otherwise, I love the list

1. Greg J Preece

What about inFAMOUS 3? :-(

I hope it doesn't happen, personally. The story is done. Just because a game series is good doesn't mean you have to keep producing sequels until you run it into the ground.

If you need a new inFamous fix, go play Festival of Blood.

3. jai

Is the Last Guardian still a concern? I was really really looking forward to playing that.... LAST YEAR :(

at the very least, i hope they bring out a 4K version of Shadow of the Colossus!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep, Last Guardian was going to be the platform exclusive that actually tipped me over the edge and made me buy a PS3, I loved SOTC and Ico to bits, and was charmed by the Last Guardian trailer.

Didn't happen, and actually, I am starting to feel more and more "over" consoles, too. I play demanding games on my PC, and casual stuff on my iOS/Android devices. My existing consoles are packed away now. Not really that excited about the new PS or XBox unless they launch with some completely mental features that you can't get elsewhere, I must admit.

4. Psyx
      Thumb Up

"Will buy when

A must buy game appears on it."

That'll be Gran Turismo 6, Borderlands 3, or Cyberpunk 2077, then!

5. Steve78

So basically prettier versions of the same old franchises that many of us are bored to tears with? *sobs*

6. Andee

Don't forget Dragon Age III, which was recently announced would be coming to Next-Gen consoles after all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SingStar on PS3 XMB anyone?

After the way SCEE have forced an advert on the XMB, in a 'hard to miss' place recently, for a 'game' that many people like me, would never have any interest in (SingStar) that cannot be removed, and then ignored all requests to make it removable. They are silent on the issue, even though many people want it gone. I don’t think I would even consider a PS4 (I have PS1, PS2 + PS3). SCEE is going in directions I would not want to follow… But hey, that’s just my humble lowly opinion...

1. Test Man
      Facepalm

Re: SingStar on PS3 XMB anyone?

Pah - I ended up using it anyway. So Sony's "plan" worked!

2. kyza

I've seen this post somewhere before - maybe here, maybe on the Graun - and as a PS3 user I honestly don't know WTF you're talking about. I've never had an advert for SingStar appearon my XMB.

So I call bullshit and possible bot.

1. GregC

@kyza

It's not bullshit - although whether it's an advert probably depends on individual point of view.

After the last update a SingStar icon appeared under Games on the XMB, no matter whether you had the game or not. Selecting it prompts you to download and install the game, and it cannot be removed. It annoyed me at first but now I don't even notice it's there tbh, but it's still a dick move by Sony.

1. kyza

Re: @kyza

Just had a look online at where it appears and even tho I've got 4.3 installed I honestly haven't noticed it...I;m going to have to go and look for it so I can be outraged now.

1. GregC
            Coffee/keyboard

Re: I;m going to have to go and look for it so I can be outraged now.

Excellent :)

2. MartinB105

The SingStar icon appeared without notification in a firmware update. If you're not seeing it, then maybe you didn't download the latest firmware?

I believe that it only affects European users, and may be further limited to specific regions, so this may be another reason that you might not see it.

1. 1Rafayal

Yeah, the Singstar thing on the XMB really pisses me off.

I dont want it and will never need to play it, I would have preferred stuff like this to be an optional extra.

3. MJI Silver badge

Re: I threatened my boys

That if they mess about I will go into it on their login so it shows on their trophy list!

4. djack

Exactly. With this and the Linux fiasco, I have lost faith with Sony.

I don't ask much from companies I do business with ... just the acknowledgement that what when I purchase something it becomes mine (and is not something that they should tinker with to my detriment) and a modicum of respect for my opinions and me as a paying customer.

Sony decided that they did not want to provide that so I have decided that I do not want to provide them with any more money.

Eagerly awaiting the Piston.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why don't you talk about all the featueres they HAVE given you? Ah yes, you forgot about them.

It's a double edged sword. You want full 3D support, latest Blu-Ray specs, Gakai and so on, but as soon as they add a XMB icon, or take away something that allowed freetards to pirate games, you get all upset.

Grow up, or just get an Xbox, it's full of 16yr old crybabies like yourself, you will be right at home.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh, too early for PS4

PS3 is still going great guns. The Last Of Us out in a couple of months, and Playstation Plus scooping up subscribers like no tomorrow...

I would put money on NO PS4 reveal, perhaps some hints. The focus will be on the Gaikai acquisition, and giving Playstation Plus gamers free access to thousands of PS1, PS2, PS3 titles and PC titles. Along with some hints that PS4 will support this out the box.

1. MartinB105

Re: Meh, too early for PS4

Agreed. I still have a huge backlog of great PS3 content to get through before I even consider buying a PS4. Even if PS3 game production ceased today, I probably still wouldn't be finished with my backlog until at least 2015.

This generation of gaming has been amazing for me. :)

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Meh, too early for PS4

I know what you mean but my back log is NOT that big, but I have not bought that many games.

But then as an example I could not be bothered with Skyrim yet my children do. Yet they don't like Fallout 3. CoD and BF do not interest me. Used to like Assassins Creed but lost interest during the 2011 game.

I am the only one to finish Dishono(u)red (twice and I have no kill - so cool).

I tend to run 2 games, one for SP and one for MP, currently they are Portal 2 with Sixence patch for Move and Killzone 3.

Probably get Far Cry 3 at some stage.

The Last Of Us and Bioshock Infinite are my two for the early part of this year.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I already have a PC

So it doesn't really make sense to spend hundreds of dollars so that I can play a handful of console exclusives. I also like the fact that I can play user generated content in games like Skyrim - a PC only feature. Also, my PC has a dual GPU graphics card with 2 GB RAM, so the console is unlikely to be as good. Should I decide to improve on that in the future, I have the option without buying a whole new PC. As usual, your mileage may differ, etc.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: I already have a PC

Handful - there are a LOT of exclusives.

So you miss Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, Gran Turismo, Resistance, Motorstorm, Little Big Planet, Journey, Ratchet & Clank, God of War, and a lot more. And if you are in the other camp Halo and GEARs of War.

Well over 25 above just for PS3 over 10 are over 90% on Metacritic of my list (eg no Wipeout)

2. DEAD4EVER
      Meh

Yes but PCs are expensive to keep upgrading your talking about 500 to 1000 maybe higher if you want a top spec system. Consoles on the other hand you don't have to upgrade or the hardware is fixed apart from hdd though in ps3s. Not everyone can afford to keep upgrading PCs every five minutes god we would go bust lol.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You do realise, I assume, that PCs don't wear out any more than consoles do. Upgrading is purely optional, and only done if you want to improve performance even more - an option that is denied to console users. I am happy with the performance of my PC, haven't upgraded it since I bought it two years ago. It ran rings around the XBOX/Playstation then, and it still does now. In the meantime, consoles have not improved either, so nothing has changed. (Funny that.)

3. John H Woods Silver badge

I bought my two boys parts for a budget games PC (AMD K-5 based) and we overclocked it to half way decent 3Dmark score. What I didn't realise was how much more expensive the games are. Because, thanks to Steam, I appear to have to buy two copies of every game now.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I would be very much obliged if someone could put me right.

1. Greg J Preece

What I didn't realise was how much more expensive the games are. Because, thanks to Steam, I appear to have to buy two copies of every game now.

......Eh?

OK, look, I have a shitload of consoles, and a massive gaming PC that I built oodles of years ago for oodles of money. Given the option, I always buy stuff on PC, because my PC is just better, and the games are cheaper, by miles. Light years. Parsecs.

Name a game, and I can almost guarantee that the PC version is cheaper on launch. A month or two after release, the PC game is probably available for half the price of the console version. As soon as a Steam sale hits, it's probably a third of the price. That's where I make back the money on my expensive gaming PC, and the part that clueless console feckwits like the guy a few posts back always fail to grasp.

For example, last year I bought every single GTA game ever released on PC, including GTA4, expansion packs and all for....5 quid. Try that on PS3. A month or two ago NiGHTs Into Dreams got a PS3 release. I was going to buy it for 8 quid, then realised I could get it on PC two weeks later for 3.50. So I did.

How the hell are the games you're buying more expensive than console? I couldn't spend more on a PC game than a console game if I tried. And what's this "buying games twice" stuff? A retail game might come with a Steam code, but you still bought it once. I honestly don't understand what you're saying.

The truth is, over the course of its lifetime a gaming PC I build will span two console generations, and in that time, I will save more than the PC's value in game discounts. There's a reason that Steam sales always abuse my wallet: they're worth it. On top of that, online play on a PC has always been superior to a console, as well as free. Patches and mods aren't just readily available, but even encouraged by many developers. It's just a better ecosystem to be gaming in, where I'm treated as a customer and not a criminal, and the notion of after-sales support still exists (unless you're buying from EA, in which case fuck you, you filthy PC pirate).

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Steam

Its problem is this, you have to buy a game for each user, not just one copy.

Take example the Half Life series. I bought it a while ago, now my boys want to play it, I have to buy it twice, once for each account if I don't want them playing on my account.

They only get Steam games when they are stupidly cheap.

There are similar lockouts with Vitas, you can only use the online code with one account/Vita this meant we spent ages looking for the cheapest LBPV

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They plan to unveil...

... my credit card details.

12. Jason Hindle

If you're into gaming, they're not a terrible investment

Our first gen model finally died on us a couple of weeks ago (fan issue - we'll probably get it repaired) so five years isn't bad for a bit of modern tech, and it isn't even obsolete at the moment. So, I just bought the new slimline model and hopefully that'll last a further few years (the PS4 or whatever they call it will be optional).

13. Atonnis
    Devil

Timing...

IF they have certain insider knowledge, and IF Microsoft are considering presenting the next XBox come E3, then Sony would be smart to present the PS4 now, if it's ready.

Since the PS3 came out quite a bit after the XBox 360 came out, everyone would expect the same thing to happen, ie that Microsoft present the XBox then there's a waiting period for the PS....so a lot of people who don't want to wait/can't wait will go pick up an XBox since it's available, and by the time the PS has come out the XBox will have dropped in price.

It'd be a good timing move by Sony. I just know I won't be interested until they a) stop using proprietary Sony everything, and b) make it a networked media center. The same way that I'll be in two very distinct minds about the XBox if it doesn't improve it's array of media codecs and capabilities. If they stick with apps like XBox Music on Windows 8 - they can screw themselves. It's horrible.

That, and the entire gaming side needs to be beyond awesome. I'd like a modular box, allowing me to upgrade to better hardware as time goes on, like a PC - but with only approved parts that are guaranteed to work.

14. chluke

I am loving our PS3 and it is mainly being used to stream movies from my PC and to watch DVDs and blue ray. My boy who is 6 loves racing games so her gets to use it as it is intended. I like the media side so much I bought a second PS3 for the wife's office\lounge. I will probably buy the next version of the Playstation but mainly for it's media capabilities.

1. John Tserkezis

is mainly being used to stream movies from my PC and to watch DVDs and blue ray

By far most of the people I see with playstations nowadays use it only as a media machine. Even if they *used* to be heavy into gaming, today, it's media consumption.

15. TakeTheSkyRoad

Backwards Compatability ?

I'm suprised nobody has raised this yet but what does everything think the odds are that the PS4 will play PS3 games ?

If it does I'm a dead cert on a release model since my 60gig 1st gen PS3 is running fine but I'm getting nervous about how much longer it will last.

It is doesn't then I may buy a PS3 cheapo slim and stick with the perfectly acceptable PS3 for a while longer. Possibly putting the money into a 3D TV instead :)

1. tmcd35

Re: Backwards Compatability ?

Backwards compatibility? Zero, especially if the rumoured AMD specs are true. It's possible software emulators for PS1 and PS2 might be included to enable disk loading of those games but I bet that the only PS1 and PS2 compatibility available will be via PSN Store purchases. As for PS3 - that's what they've bought Gaikai for, no?

2. Kaltern
      Trollface

Re: Backwards Compatability ?

I can almost see it now on Playstation Store:

New! Bring your old PS3 games into the future with our PS3 Compatibility Pack! This one-time purchase will allow you to play your PS3 games in glorious 4k resolution*, better than the original!

Pre-purchase now, and get an EXCLUSIVE $ Avatar!**

You can pre-order at the Store now, for just £79.99!

* On selected games. Subject to exclusivity deals.

** One time use only. Non transferable to other consoles. USe of this Avatar is subject to terms and conditions.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest question

Has to be 'what will Sony do to shoot itself in its foot this time round?'

17. jai

GTA5?

Is this the reason why the GTA5 release date slipped from Spring 2013 to September 17th 2013??

(i doubt it, i guess GTA5 just isn't as near finished as they'd hoped it to be, or they've their sights set on Xmas sales, or trying to avoid the media fallout from all the shootings in the US)

18. Andy Fletcher

Resistance to online only gaming?

I'm a bit surprised the majority appear to be in favour of hanging on with gritted teeth to optical media, and crying that online distribution is beyong the technical capabilities of the human race. Personally, I like to look forward. Devices without any moving components brings some really great benfits in terms of power consumption, reliability and longevity. Digital distribution destroying jobs in bricks & mortar stores? Sure, but this is just a Luddite's argument and if you can be honest with yourself you know it. Thumb me down if you think technological progess should be halted - I double dare you!

1. GregC
      Stop

Re: Resistance to online only gaming?

I've got no problem with progress, but if you can find a way to get the entire UK broadband infrastructure (ignoring the rest of the world for now....) to a point where online-only distribution of 25Gb+ games is a practical proposition for everyone, and do it in time for next Xmas when we might see new consoles, then you really should be offering your services to gov't.

San Andreas just got released as a PS2 classic on PS3, and I'm seeing a fair bit of moaning about how long it's taking people to download it - and that's "only" a few gig. Physical media remains necessary for a lot of people at the moment, and will do for a few years yet...

2. Greg J Preece

@Andy - Thanks for the condescension, but the reason I don't want a download-only console is because the publishers will use it as a method to screw me over. EA and the like have not and will not drop their prices to compensate for the reduced costs and content of digital distribution. Hell, they moved off Steam because Valve don't treat their customers badly enough for EA's tastes. At launch, the latest FIFA game was 20 quid more expensive online than in a high street store. That is disgusting, and that's why I don't want an online-only console; it'll be too expensive to play on.

I buy lots and lots and lots of games online, but from Steam, Desura, GoG, etc. Having multiple marketplaces on the PC means competition between them, and as a flag-bearer for the industry Valve were pretty bloody exemplary. The result is a convenient, customer-focused system that benefits me. On a console, you have one marketplace, and you're constantly bombarded with loyalty tests to prove you're not some scum-sucking pre-owned game purchaser (which I am).

1. Andy Fletcher

OK Greg & Greg, apologies. Reading back my post does sound somewhat confrontational. I do, however, firmly believe this is the direction the industry is going in.

19. DrXym

Why download games at all?

Anyone who has the colossal bandwidth needed to download a full retail game in a timely fashion probably has the bandwidth to just stream the thing. For most games any latency is largely irrelevant. Why even bother installing it on a console when the video and sound can be sent over the wire?

Anyway I think most probably they will support disc based games. It would be madness not to. Broadband is not ubiquitous by a long shot and people still want to watch things like blu rays and DVDs.

20. kyza

What's funny...

...is that I've seen complaints about the possibility of lock-outs to prevent re-sale of games, and lots of people banging on about how having a disc-based system would be luddite.

How exactly would a dl-only environment enable a second hand market?

1. tmcd35

Re: What's funny...

I've been download only for a while now thanks to the PS+ subscription. But then I'm on VM so I only have to avoid peek times to get usable internet speeds.

As for a second hand market. It'd die. I'm sure players who bought second hand would either what for the inevitable price drops, the game to be released as a 'PS4 Classic' or "PS4 Essential' title. or (as I do) what and see what is given away in the PS+ subscription.

For me a combination of PS+ subscription, PS1, PS2, Mini's and PSN titles keep me suitably entertained without having to pay £60 for the latest and greatest releases.

2. Rugster

While I don't discount the possibility of them locking out re-sale of games, this particular rumour was started when the PS3 was announced as well. So I would take it with a pinch of salt at the moment. Bad publicity move if they do though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's not just a rumour, it's something Sony are actively pursuing- using embedded RFID in the disks. See recent patents for details. Whether it actually hits anyone stupid enough to greenlight it for production is another matter.

1. JaimieV

As to reselling of downloaded software - Germany is leading the charge on this, very kindly:

http://www.zdnet.com/oracle-cannot-block-the-resale-of-its-software-in-europe-7000000189/

Following which, they're currently suing Valve (take on the big boys first!) for not allowing reselling:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/02/02/valve_sued_in_germany_over_used_game_sales

21. RussellMcIver
    FAIL

"to come next month"

You guys know it's February already right?

22. Boris S.

It's all good

The PS4 will feature AMD's APU power.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Download, upload, sideload...

And who still cares about consoles? The people that like dedicated titles. And who's fault is it that they can't play those on PC? But people just keep supporting this paradigm due to an ever shrinking sense of "ease to play experience".

It isn't my opinion that the game console is dying, it is the opinion of the ones making them. How much do the "Dashboards" of current consoles look like what you ONCE considered a console? How much do they look like CURRENT PC's? Which way is the trend heading?

These console companies should just sell a gaming PC in an mATX for factor. Fully upgradable and all that a PC is. That would bring the inevitable quicker. However, then they might loose the chance to force marketing through their "Dashboards"...which is the trend.

1. JaimieV

Re: Download, upload, sideload...

The biggest useful thing about consoles is that they're *not* possible to upgrade. This gives the software developers a clear and solid target to aim for, even over a three-year development cycle, so they can squeeze every last drop of performance from it (which is what we're seeing now with the latest Xbox360 and PS3 titles). It also means all users have the same basic kit, removing possibilities of driver issues, out-of-resource issues, and cutting QA down massively. Also enables console-wide services like the Friends system, Xbox Live Chat and so on - although Steam has brought much of that across to the PC too, hurrah!

(On the downside, it also means that otherwise interesting addons (Move, Kinect, erm...) tend to die because without 100% deployment no devs want to really commit to them. Which is why the PSN chat facility is never used - no headset in the box)

2. Van

Re: Download, upload, sideload...

Before accusing consoles of becoming too much like PCs. AFAIR PCs actually moved towards being like consoles when they were able to slot in a custom graphics and sound cards and have Steering Wheel pedals etc. Custom chips that were being designed for games consoles, Arcade gaming machines and the 'home computers'.

These cards were only affordable in the late 1990s. Even so, it was a long time before PCs were able to do the super slick Arcade beat' em ups, exhilarating Arcades racers and the platformers that the lower powered consoles were doing.

24. Zmodem

build you very own for £300, with hybrid sli and 16gb of 1800mhz ram of ebay and put it all in

Antec ISK310-150 Micro-ATX Case

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41b6oR0sb2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and

in 2 years time have to replace your hdd, cpu, gnu, and ram (plus m/b) to play the latest games. Used to do it years ago, I must have spent an absolute fortune on hardware.

Also as each iteration of WinOS comes out your kit will be left behind driver wise, etc.

Or you could buy one device that is easy to play out of the box?

1. Zmodem

Re: and

playstation and xbox have hundreds of versions each to update gfx cards, hdds, etc etc etc, and they still bottleneck on 90% of 1st generation games

put a basic pc in the antec box and plug it in your tv, with the posh little box on your tv stand, and then you can just buy a wireless keyboard, the gt610 plays most pc games on low detail and only cost £30, without a full atx box, you have to get a gt630 with gddr 5 ram on and not all have and most shops lie so you have to check the model numbers on google, or gt640 if the board has pci-3.0

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fallacy.

My PC was bought 3.5 years ago, hardware produced before Win7 released. Upgraded to Win 7, no issues.

I haven't spent a single penny on it since then. Graphics way better than any console and can still play all the latest games.

Not to mention all the benefits of mods, customisation, etc...

You're misinformed and spreading FUD - you need to wise up.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Cost ~£400, so it wasn't some uber-hi-spec jobbie either.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I haven't spent a single penny on it since then"

Thats because you overpaid at the time for hardware that PC games couldn't utilise.

PCs have always been notorious for it.

Traditionally, upgrading a PC for games meant going up a notch in resolution and perhaps an increase in 20fps. Gamers were enjoying the tech side of things more than the actual gameplay on offer. It was a hobby in its self. Sure, many people will still be enjoying building their first PCs and upgrading in the future. Others however, got fed up, bored, or just don't have the time and money to tinker anymore.

There is still a massive back catalogue of great gameply to be had on all the old platforms, once the tech snobbery gets out of a gamer's system.

2. Van

micro case

complete with dated and bulky optical media drive :)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's take bets on how long it'll be before they remove PS3 backwards compatability!

26. Danny 5
    WTF?

why?

Why am i reading the PS4, from which we know next to nothing and am i not reading about what most likely will be the killer feature on the new Xbox, the illumiroom?

It's one of the most amazing things i've ever seen. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/illumiroom/

If this is going to be on the Xbox 720, or whatever they're going to call the thing, i'm going to have to start saving money, as this is the best thing ever.

27. soulseeker UK
    Mushroom

Sony Specs will it be 2005 all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_f_ahmAESI&feature=player_embedded

will sony do another repeat of this... Seems like more than possible...

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

honesty

Hope they're honest about their console's performance this time. The PS2 and PS3 were disappointments when compared with what we were told to expect.

Nintendo have been kicked into the gutter over the Wii U's low processing power whilst the hardcore are still expecting 'The' top line CPU and GPU to be fitted to the PS4 and 720.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like