back to article WORLD temporarily FREED from BURDEN of TWITTER!

Twitter is broken for an unknown number of its 500-million-strong userbase. The site's over-capacity Fail Whale is greeting many people who are trying to access the site, while others are finding the service to be extremely slow. A spokeswoman at the privately-held company confirmed to The Register (by email) that there was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Parax

It was all because of this .

2. Peter Mount
    Alien

Was it HMV's fault?

When there was a tweet just over an hour ago stating:

'Just overheard our Managing Director ask "How do i shut down Twitter?"'

Was it a coincidence? ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Was it HMV's fault?

Strangely enough, it occured for me when I tried to access the hmvtweets account to read what the disgruntled employees were saying.

3. Flywheel
    Thumb Up

Well, the sun's already out in Woking - result!

1. MarmiteToast

I thought the sun never visited Woking!

1. Naughtyhorse

i thought the sun was in waltham park these days... praps not yet

4. The FunkeyGibbon
    Happy

As the Depeche Mode boys would say...

Enjoy the Silence

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As the Depeche Mode boys would say...

All I ever wanted. All I ever needed. Is here in my arms - referring to an iPhone 5

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Re: As the Depeche Mode boys would say...

Your own, personal, Jesus phone?

5. M.D.
    Joke

But will the recovery really happen

...or will large parts of the (predominantly Western) World grind to a halt, while millions of businesses stop functioning as their wild-eyed workers feverishly pinch 'refresh' on an endless quest to communicate a few words of rubbish to the rest of the Tribe?

Is this what the Mayans were really warning us about?!

6. the spectacularly refined chap

Great stuff

Perfect excuse to claim ignorance of the wife's re-arranged plans for going out tonight.

1. CASIOMS-8V

Re: Great stuff

wives can use el Reg too you know

7. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Holmes

I have a friend...

Who is from another European country, who is doing a placement year in New York, and her quote about America sums this up perfectly.

'America, 3rd world country'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have a friend...

Yep, New York is a 3rd world country. Actually, it's several of them and they don't share a common language.

8. Tony Green

Oh no!

How will I cope with not knowing when Stephen Fry's having his afternoon shit?

1. Spoonsinger

Re: when Stephen Fry's having his afternoon shit?

Around about now. (Also probably has a box of chocolates in there as well). Is that 140 characters? Nope? Crap!, (but not literally). Ummmm.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh no!

> having his afternoon shit?

Now is that any way to refer to his boyfriend?

9. Anonymous Cowherder

Football's transfer deadline day

The power of football to kill websites dead.

10. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

Can we put the cats onto that stupid bird?

and make it die properly?

I was in a meeting the other day and anyone's phone that announced a tweek was ceremoniously dumped into a bucket of water. 6 went in before thay got the message.

11. Not_The_Droids
    Pint

I'm here for the beer...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I like Twitter

There, I said it.

Feels a bit like admitting you like towie here on El Reg, or that you find BBC's weather girl, Carol Kirkwood, attractive. ... oh shit ...

However, I do hate 99.99% of the people that use twitter, as they are generally self serving wankers of the first order (or worse, marketing types) (or even worse, politicians)

1. Naughtyhorse
      Trollface

Re: I like Twitter... i'll see your 99.99%

and raise you 0.01%

fixed

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I like Twitter... i'll see your 99.99%

Nope. Still broken.

2. heyrick Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I like Twitter

<googles Carol Kirkwood>

Mmmm, not that bad. Though I think Laura Tobin has more going for her...

13. Nigel 11
    IT Angle

Why ...

Why are people who Twitter not called Twits?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: Why ...

Hmmm,

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hawking

https://twitter.com/davidattenboro

There's two reasons.

Why is it "Too cool for school" around here to diss Twitter? Ah well, complete lack of imagination.

2. NukEvil
      Trollface

They're called Twats instead, and rightfully so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Why exactly?

Care to explain why anyone who uses Twitter is a Twat?

I work with some exceptionally intelligent and friendly people. Complete geeks, full on code hackers.

They all use twitter.

Not a lot, but they use it.

People who dismiss Twitter with idiotic statements like yours really are just first class Trolls.

1. NukEvil
          Trollface

Hey, guess what? I DON'T use Twitter. I'm exceptionally intelligent and friendly. I'm a complete geek and a "full on code hacker", as you incorrectly put it. I only access the Twitter website whenever someone posts a link and says "hey look at this". And then I usually regret clicking on said link after reading whatever is behind it.

True, whenever important events happen, I'm sure the Twits (Is that what you call posts made on Twitter?) are relevant to whatever is happening at the moment. However, I find that giving the average person a medium in which he or she will have something to say often translates into that person having NOTHING to say, and saying it anyways. It's happened on just about every single content-aggregate website that allows its users to write to a public database, and will continue to happen until our species annihilates itself. In this case, however, the name of the site itself can lend to some colorful suggestions of names for its users. You should probably lighten up a bit.

1. heyrick Silver badge
            Happy

"I'm sure the Twits (Is that what you call posts made on Twitter?)" - long 'iiii', "tweets". It's a play on words of that blue bird. I wouldn't be suprised if group postings (if it can even be done) wasn't known as "chirping".

"However, I find that giving the average person a medium in which he or she will have something to say often translates into that person having NOTHING to say, and saying it anyways." - you mean like BBS messageboards FidoNet Usenet chatrooms forums news/blog article comment sections? People have a tendency to spew drivel given half an opportunity, myself included. Perhaps the biggest wonder is why people think that somebody is reading. Perhaps the biggest wonder is why somebody is reading.

If you've read this, congratulations, that's thirty seconds of your life (and about 25 heartbeats) you'll have wasted. Waste another few seconds - click on green if you think this message has at least been mildly amusing if not exactly enriching...or click on red if the only response you have now is "screw you dumbass". Your call!

1. Deano2099

Then don't follow 'average' people. Follow only the exceptional ones. The medium isn't the problem, it's the deathly boring people you chose to follow.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And the problem with that is what exactly?

Why shouldn't people say what they want?

They may have nothing to say to YOU, but they may have something to say to the people that follow their tweets, like their friends, family, co-workers.

This obviously annoys some folks who post here on El Reg - I find it ironic your telling me to lighten up, when it's you who gets annoyed.

I've been posting comments on El Reg for years now and tend to get more thumbs up than down - except on this matter.

I wouldn't call it a personal crusade, but it just annoys the hell out of me when I see otherwise intelligent people dismissing twitter as being crap at every opportunity they get, so I reply.

... and I get thumbed down every single time ... :)

The entire web is filled with millions of pages of crap content, Twitter is just an easy target...

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Why ... Why not?

Maybe I didn't use it right when I was persuaded to open an account, but I just don't see what Twitter is for. All I would get was notifications in my inbox that someoneconnected with my area of interest (e.g. Gary Slapper) had retweeted something from someone else. Big deal! Also, the format didn't allow for sufficient detail - I'd have to trail off and find the real information somewhere else: not useful.

Twitter seems like the tool of choice for attention-deficient attention-seekers, hence I do refer to its users as Twats.

14. bag o' spanners

I thought it was rhyming slang. It certainly appears to be in it at present.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Rhyming slang guv

"He was full of Twit"

"Holding the Twitty end of the stick"

"Eat Twit and die"

"I think I'll go and Twit allover the internet.".

15. N2
    Thumb Up

Excellent

Now perhaps people might go down the pub and engage in conversation with their friends.

16. Yet Another Commentard

News

How will the BBC compile its news without Twitter to quote mindlessly?

One assumes it will return to asking cab drivers for uninformed opinions.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Meh

Re: News

To be fair, it's Sky News that identifies all its presenters by their Tw@ter ID and sometimes changes the ticker at the bottom of the screen to display the latest (ir)relevant twitterings on the article under discussion.

<Grebulons>

Ruuuupert!

</Grebulons>

17. Arctic fox
    Trollface

"With this outage, the economy might get back on its feet........."

No, they will just spend more time checking their FB accounts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like