back to article Report: DDoS attacks now MORE ANGRY, complex and targeted

The days when attackers relied on sheer bandwidth volume alone to knock out websites are over, with miscreants increasingly using application-layer and multi-vector attacks. The latest annual study from DDoS attack protection company Arbor Networks reports that 46 per cent of respondents said they had experienced multi-layer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. taxman
    FAIL

Tut tut

This story was published by SC Magazine on the 29th!

Come on El Reg, keep up!

2. ratfox
    Happy

I like this new conjugation

"The vast majority […] reported they had been hot by attacks during the study period."

So much better than the bland version. I hit, I hat, I have hot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A few easy-to-catch perps in recent high profile pirating cases have scared profit-motivated malfeasors into the safer, but remuneration free, world of non-profit activity.

4. koolholio
    Holmes

Only just figured this out?

Web services are usually easy targets, since theres the issue of 'upgrading the platform' but 'forgetting' to upgrade the code running through the platform to suit, so they rarely do either usually, unless its break-fixing, mainly due to service level agreements.

I severely doubt application layer/multi vectors or spoofing or poisoning attacks are any "new" tactic, but it would make, theoretically, logical sense to get the maximum bang for your buck in the "criminal underworld"?

DNS specs have changed considerably in the last 10 years and the invention of IPv6, this is why some networks have modified their servers for their clients 'stupidity' without knowing/measuring the full extent of their changes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like