back to article Facebook reports revenues up 40% but Wall Street says 'meh'

Mark Zuckerberg must be tearing at his hoodie after Facebook's shares dipped following the release of what are, on the face of it, very respectable quarterly results for his company. Revenues for Facebook's fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 stand at $1.585bn, up 40 per cent on this time last year, with advertising up 41 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Naughty.

"...will continue to invest to achieve our mission..."

The mission is either to watch you while you sleep, or it is just to consume the legendary 96er in one sitting. I'm pulling for the free meal and hats.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Beware, beware the Ides of March

If Zuck publishes a 40% increase and the Stock Market decides to drop the share value then it appears that somebody knows something that we don't

1. P_0

Re: Beware, beware the Ides of March

That "something" is that Facebook's path is unsustainable. Costs are rising faster than revenues. The fact is they need a new model for generating income, and they know it. Hence:

*Sponsored stories

*the email announcement from about a year ago.

*That new search thing that everyone forgot about immediately

and some others that I don't know about.

They probably can't change their model. They are still just a place to view each others photos and play games.

If I were them I would stop trying to take on Google with search. They're really picking the wrong battle.

They should take on eBay by letting people buy and sell stuff on the Facebook platform. Just MHO.

3. Steve Button Silver badge
    WTF?

618 billion daily users?

That's impressive.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: 618 billion daily users?

That's probably what Zuck told the investors....

4. mwcer
    Happy

618 billion daily users?

2 orders of magnitude more users than the total population of the earth? I didn't realize the fake facebook account problem had grown to such proportions.

5. coda122

That's a lot of fake accounts

"Meanwhile, the social network has 618 billion daily users..."

6. Silverburn
    Facepalm

oooooh

Facebook generated just $64m in income last quarter, down from $302m during the same quarter last year.

If I was an investor, I'd be pretty pissed at this too. This is a *massive* drop.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revenue is vanity...

profit is sanity.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like