back to article Microsoft architecture chief 'clarifies' online formula

Microsoft's chief software architect Ray Ozzie tried to clarify Microsoft's software plus services internet strategy. And guess what, it involves advertising and Yahoo!. Ozzie opened Microsoft's Mix 08 offering developers the "big picture" on a strategy he promised would culminate with massive software and service launches at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Commodification of the user

"Advertising will be the primary way we monetize the web... Microsoft is doing its part to ensure there's a vibrant ad system on the web,"

Wonderful I look forward to the majority of internet content becoming to me valueless.

The first "deeply embraces" advertising, and the second covers the way the internet is "shaping and transforming" Microsoft products.

Makes a change from m$ trying to control, transform and shape the web to meet their own ends. Whatever the case is it not obvious that m$ sees users as just commodities to be exploited. I wish m$ would just go away, they are not required. Although some of their products are useful, the Internet would thrive without them.

2. Morely Dotes
    Boffin

Steeeeeerike one!

'The first "deeply embraces" advertising'

The only time advertising on the Internet is acceptable is when the advertisers are paying for whatever it is I am accessing; that is, a "completely free" service, such as Hotmail, Gmail, or Yahoo mail.

And Microsoft has enough cash in the slush fund already, in my not-so-humble opinion, so I expect any ad-supported offerings from them to be truly innovative and absolutely necessary to my quaility of life.

Which is why I don't use any ad-supported services/products from Microsoft. The never did know the meaning of "innovative," and they've never had a product I could live without.

"Do not look directly into the Microsoft Marketing laser with remaining eye!"

3. Fatty Treats

@Morely Dotes

"they've never had a product I could live without"

I don't think that's what you meant old boy :p

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Judgement on content?

--"as a medium for building and delivering ad banners on sites and inside steaming video"

I can't really argue with this as an assessment of most video content available on the Web.

5. amanfromMars Silver badge

Priceless Questions

"and they've never had a product I could live without." .... By Morely Dotes Posted Wednesday 5th March 2008 21:51 GMT

Would you expect them to Provide Code which you can't live without, Morely Dotes?

And ... what if they could?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Vibrant Ads?

"social mesh"? What a marketing crock. I am really glad I haven't had to attend one of these Microsoft circle jerk festivals yet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like