back to article HP launches security service for after the horse has bolted

HP is getting into the lucrative security remediation sector with a consultancy service designed to minimize the effects of a successful attack, collect evidence for prosecution, and help recover what has been stolen or corrupted. "It's nearly impossible for organizations to prevent a breach, but they can take control of how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Happy

I like it.

It has been years since HP made "instruments", you know the sort of stuff you have to have after you've noticed something unexpected ? I think they used to call it "Science and Engineering" and HP was very very good at it back in the day.

1. asdf
      Trollface

Re: I like it.

Science and Engineering are largely obsolete in our new post information age economy as patent attorneys have already assured someone else will make money on anything discovered. What we really need is more mathematicians. Wall St badly needs better and better quants to come up with even more exotic ways to help companies hide money. That is what our new world order economy rewards. Creating physical stuff not so much but bring on the exotic financial instruments.

2. JaitcH
      FAIL

Re: I like it. HP? Security?

You are what your last name implies.

Remember when HP accused certain people of theft? Nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

"Remember when HP accused certain people of theft? Nothing."

If you mean Autonomy, then that's still under investigation. Having reported a criminal act there's not much they can do but wait on the wheels of justice, which grind slow and inconsistently. As a guide to the timescale, it wouldn't be a record if the SFO decide there is a case to pursue, for it to come to court in six years. For example, the principal accused from Torex Retail, that went "pop" at the beginning of 2007 won't be seeing the inside of a court room until March of this year.

1. asdf
          FAIL

>If you mean Autonomy, then that's still under investigation. Having reported a criminal act there's not much they can do but wait on the wheels of justice, which grind slow and inconsistently.

No HP never did report the crime to any authorities, the DOJ started looking at it on its own. HP only reported it to the press to cover their worthless no due diligence C Suite retards but they don't really want it investigated throughly. It will only show the world more how incompetent HP's management truly is.

2. Donald Becker
    Coat

Oh, haven't we seen this before

I'm having a pre-deja-vu moment.

In three or four months we'll see this group/product/service severely hacked, with all sales and customer data taken.

3. Captain DaFt

Pardon my cynicism

Yep, sell security for systems, and after awhile, the beancounters bitch,"Why are we paying for this, nothing ever happens to our systems!"

Far better economically to sell something that helps clean up the mess afterward than prevent it in the first place.

1. Canecutter
      Trollface

Re: Pardon my cynicism

Yeah. That must be why HP is actively burying one of its most highly regarded products as far as security is concerned.

You know: bury the thing that was conceived and designed with security in it from the word go; sell the insecure thing; make container-loads of money selling "bolt-on security and services".

That is why I just cut sugarcane.

2. Don Jefe

Re: Pardon my cynicism

At my first job I watched in horror as our system admin & in house security guys were fired because "nothing ever happened". That worked fine for about five months, then the wheels came off.

You are correct that the bean counters make really dumb decisions. Although I believe that senior tech staff are often to blame with hostile attitudes and the inability to argue their case in a business friendly way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Trusted integrated innovative managed business security risk solutions?

Maintain two systems, a primary one to run the business, and a second one that keeps an irrevociable audit of activity on the first. A combination of cloning the log files and monitoring at the IP layer. Use a PKI key on a hardware dongle to allow access from the clients. Key monitoring and revocation is carried out on the second system.

-------

"We deliver integrated, innovative, and trusted security solutions that are proven to manage business risk and maximize your information security investment .. Our consultants hold a variety of global IT and security certifications, including CHECK, CLAS, CISSP, CISM, CISA, CLEF, IISP, ISO 27001 Lead Auditor, PCI QSA, and others".

Wha?

1. MyronC

Re: Trusted integrated innovative managed business security risk solutions?

There is very little credibility to any one security certification agency so those looking to tout their certs just throw all of them in, like a scrabble bag in a blender.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Trusted integrated innovative managed business security risk solutions?

"We deliver integrated, innovative, and trusted security solutions that are proven to manage business risk and maximize your information security investment .. Our consultants hold a variety of global IT and security certifications, including CHECK, CLAS, CISSP, CISM, CISA, CLEF, IISP, ISO 27001 Lead Auditor, PCI QSA, and others"."

Time will tell if their main qualification is to talk BS.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP China was hacked on 12/24/2012. They didn't do much about it. So if their response shows how they will "help" others respond, it will be a huge waste of money.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ArcLight?

HP don't have a product called ArcLight.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: ArcLight?

I thought that Arc Light was a series of U.S. bomber missions in southeast Asia. And I also seem to recall that they were successful, and very little survived. Not a good tactic for a mitigation strategy.

7. The Alpha Klutz

lol so true

If you are not paying PEOPLE to secure your computers, then your computers are not secure. No software will do it for you. Not even software with cool names and graphics.

1. Don Jefe
      Joke

Re: lol so true

But the animated graphs are so cool!

2. greatfog
      Alert

Re: lol so true

Hire Cliff Stoll to watch the Receive/Transmit LEDs 24/7/365.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

motive?

Perhaps they've thought of using this capablity on the Autonomy purchase.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

The hidden benefits of Windows.

Lots> of opportunity for sysadmins to practice "heroic" security and cleanup efforts.

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: The hidden benefits of Windows.

Another "hidden benefit" of Windows WindblowZE is in its ability to drain corporate coffers of profits in the form of expenses to "protect" the system from hackers, and enrich "security" vendors.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The hidden benefits of Windows.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HE SAID "WindblowZE" !!!!

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like