back to article Filter Great Firewall of China's architects at US borders - petition

A petition hosted by the White House calls for the computer scientists who built the "Great Firewall" of China to be denied entry to the US. The petition was submitted to the Obama administration on Friday, and has already garnered almost 7,000 signatures from American citizens who oppose China's extensive web censoring " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oxymoron?

We protest at the people denying access by errrmmmm....asking you to deny access to these people.

1. WatAWorld

Oxymoron only if you don't look at it from a logical cause and effect perspective

The difference is they denied access to the internet to innocent people merely because those people lived in China.

We would be denying these censors access to the USA because of their own personal actions.

People should be held accountable for their criminal and immoral actions during working hours.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oxymoron?

In diplomatic terms denying entry is generally the only option when faced with an individual you do not approve of. Allowing them to come to the US then enacting some form of punishment such as arrest would cause more sigificant problems as not only would their country be somewhat upset you're holding their citizen prisoner, but you have to then justify the imprisonment under american law as well. Given that the 'crime' didn't take place in the US, it would of course be argued that they have no jurisdiction.

Conversely, I imagine the constitution to be somewhat more lax in terms of granting entry into the first place, and therefore much easier to get away with, and possibly less opaque as to the reason for denying entry.

The death penalty for murder is another example of punishment through similar means to the crime, and while some people may not agree with it on moral grounds, others certainly see it as an appropriate punishment.

Personally, I've always been a little surprised that Anonymous have never taken an interest in the great firewall of china. They're generally happy to put up a fight over things like the attempted censoring of WikiLeaks and the persecution of Aaron Swartz, but not the censoring of the internet for an entire country. Whether they don't think they can make a difference, or are concerned about the events they may set in motion, I don't know, but it's always seemed to me that this would be right up their street. Not that I'm encouraging them, or support them of course, I just find their lack of action on this topic interesting.

3. Graham Marsden

Re: Oxymoron?

Ah, but you see it's *different* when we do it...!

2. hplasm
    Headmaster

"wish you weren't hear..."

We wish you were deaf?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: "wish you weren't hear..."

God dammit. I'm in too much of a rush this morning - it's been fixed.

PS: Please use the correction button on articles - the messages go straight to my desk, phone, tablet, shoe, home - rather than relying on me to check every one of the thousands of comments posted a day.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really?

It has certainly seemed in the past that the polite and nicely-worded communiques that I have taken the time to direct your way have always been completely ignored.

I shall have to try again some time.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Really?

"have always been completely ignored"

When was that? We found that a lot, if not most, of the submitted corrections were eaten by a spam/security filter. As of at least month ago it's a simple email address you can fire into rather than a CGI form.

C.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: "wish you weren't hear..."

"PS: Please use the correction button on articles - the messages go straight to my desk, phone, tablet, shoe, home - rather than relying on me to check every one of the thousands of comments posted a day."

It also means you don't get caught out in public ;-)

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Progressives everywhere

These tools are used by the kumbaya Obama administration to root out leakers, pursue people who contact journalists and find out who exfiled details about the latest scheme to kill, main, obfuscate, deny, control, wiretap, spy and powergrab.

Have you no shame!!

1. WatAWorld
      Holmes

Re: Progressives everywhere

You're an example of someone who touts the existence of black helicopters who wishes us to quietly submit to the New World Order.

At the other end of the spectrum you have Hollywood and LA.

The Hollywood types say they're liberal, peaceful, against war, and in favour of big government.

But every hour of every working day the people of Hollywood are making or promoting films that promote domestic violence, gun violence, war and black helicopter theories, thus creating the culture of the right-wing and red-neck America.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Holmes

Re: Progressives everywhere

For those who are confused:

Even the Neocon Post agrees that the Magic Negro's administration is into snorting the data

4. WatAWorld

93,000 signatures at the moment

The signature count is rising rapidly.

1. Steve the Cynic

Re: 93,000 signatures at the moment

No, it's not. That's 92,343 (as of the moment of writing) left to win the somewhat dubious prize of an official brush-off.

5. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Press the Big Red Button

...the messages go straight to my desk, phone, tablet, shoe, home...

Thank you, Agent Smart.

6. Infidellic_
    Big Brother

"arguably the world’s most successful and comprehensive web filtering system"?

"arguably the world’s most successful and comprehensive web filtering system"

*Cough, cough* North Korean *Cough, cough*

Big Bruv - obviously

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... while they're at it will they be kicking out all the US companies that provide the hardware and expertise that made the firewall? Thought not. Liberal racism at its finest.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cuba, Laos, Peoples Republic of China and Vietnam are the last communist governments left on the planet. The rest either imploded or were overthrown for damned good reason. 60+ million people have been killed because of these repressive regimes. Millions more are in jail for "political crime". China has subjugated Tibet and is currently trying to expand influence in the South Pacific for resources. The only solution is to completely isolate these countries economically, socially and physically until their people are give the basic freedoms that all mankind should have. Any western power, corporation or organization that supports these regimes by buying their goods is indirectly supporting a brutal subjugation of their citizens.

North Korea is not communist. It follows "Juche". They too should also be on that list for the above reasons.

9. Gordon Fecyk
    Go

We should've kept John McAfee out then

This is so 2001: Chinese Feds demand computer virus samples.

By the logic of said petition, they should eject all foreign nationals employed by anti-virus firms that are members of CARO. And let's not forget foriegn nationals employed by Cisco.

Neither will happen.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Kidding right?

While I abhor the Chinese censorship (and any other countries attempt) maybe the petitioners should start closer to home first. Its actually starting to get scary what the US government is doing.

11. Aaron Em

Curious

That petition reads like English is not its author's first language, don't you think?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curious

"People want political reform, should learn write sentences"

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Curious

"That petition reads like English is not its author's first language, don't you think?"

He's probably American then!

12. Christian Berger

Isn't most of their technology from the US

I mean their great firewall is made out of building blocks from the US, deliberately sold to them to be used to surpress people?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Banning the architects and engineers, but not the governments whose policy they are implementing

You're blaming the wrong people here, US.gov!

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

"Chinese Media Reciprocity Act."

Presumably so called because the "Chinese media tit-for-tat act" just sounds so pathetically childish.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like