back to article Mayer! predicts! mobile! personalized! future! for! Yahoo! at! Davos!

Marissa Mayer has given an extended interview on her future plans for Yahoo! in which she said the company is ideally positioned to catch what she calls the "fourth wave" of the internet. Yahoo! was the first stage of internet development, i.e. internet directories, Mayer said during an interview with Bloomberg at the World …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Marissa. What part of FOAD do you fail to understand?

I am already heartily sick of ads that have been triggered by what I looked at last week. Hello! I've seen it, read about it and done something about it. Its now gone.

Yes, I've looked at Dealextreme.com a few times of late. I know who they are, what they do and how to find them. Yet I still see a swathe of ads for them. Guys, forget it. All you'll achieve is for me to look for other people in the same line.

I dont want or need some marketing droids idiot (and insufferingly condescending) idea of what I am interested in. If I am really so desperate as to want your opinion, Ms Mayer, I will come to you and beat it out of you. Until then, please keep your presumtions to yourself.

You may like to reflect on Yahoo's inability to produce a product that is actually desirable. Your bloody toolbar is so awful it has to be packaged up as a piece of malware and distrubuted as a pre-selected "optional" unrelatd add-on with other peoples software.

As for your few words on privacy, Ms Mayer, please give us a break. Its a matter of record that Yahoo has edited peoples emails to add ads. What search results would you show for the string "hypocrite"?

No, Ms Mayer, you cant have my profile.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe it is true

Blonde = Bimbo

At first I thought 'this is refreshing a clever and attractive woman' but now....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She said "graph"

Graph must be the new cyber.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: She said "graph"

yes, graphy, graphy, graph, graph.

If they say it often enough, it must mean something, right?

3. dssf

Maybe fb are having problems making sense of the data

-- Because common words appear too often

-- Possibly fb are not using normalized tables, meaning that if they for some bizarre reason are not using linkable columns, then keywords in a sea of words won't help distinguish a "the" in one area from another. SCUBA gear in the about me might misinterpreded in a blog vs a commentary....

4. bag o' spanners
    Thumb Down

Yahoo is your dad playing squiffy air-guitar to "We Built This City".

They shafted their huge YM and Groups user base with the execrable 360, and it's been downhill all the way since. I still have a legacy email addy for junkmail notifications that I bulk bin once a month. The only purpose they serve in the UK is as the Barclays footie channel for highlights. It's the Poundland of search and social.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

@bag o' spanners

That's unfair to Poundland, and you know it.

I'd allow you that they are the Comet of search and social.

5. Mr Young
    WTF?

"better user experience"?

I've heard that bullshit so often I can only conclude the people saying it actually believe it! I'll have a eat this/nuke icon as well thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "better user experience"?

Less is more. What tends to happen with software tools is they start off nice and simple, easy to use and then people start going feature crazy wanting more and more options. Eventually the application becomes all but impossible to use for all but the experienced long time users.

It's pretty inconcievable that Yahoo will come up with anything new and decent. They lost any advantage in search, their messenger was never number 1 was it? Yahoo groups became full of spam and so unusable and they've never tried a social media site have they?

Their only bet is to back some small clever start up company and keep their mouths shut that it is a Yahoo enterprise so it remains cool.

6. darren.b
    WTF?

Ya-who?

They're still around then?

7. The Boojum
    FAIL

There are clearly some highly illegal substances circulating at Davos.

8. TheOtherHobbes

"Part of that was down to what she called the 'interest graph,' which would connect people who not only are linked by places or relationships, but by a commonality of interests."

And these people will be messaging each other? Like in YahooGroups, but with added 2013 SocialGraphyNess?

Well. That's exciting.

9. jake Silver badge

"Yahoo! was the first stage of internet development"

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! What a fucking ignorant statement! I was using (and making money from) the thing we now call "The Internet" before Marissa was an itch in her dad's pants ...

""Privacy is always something users should consider, but it's a trade-off," she said. "When you give up some personal information you get some functionality in return."

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty. --Ben Franklin ... yes, it applies. Think about it.

"For me the core concepts of privacy online are transparency, choice and control."

Transparent to you, your choice, and your control. Not that of your (l)user-base. Who are you trying to kid?

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Not in the clouds but the sand

Hopefully this fourth wave finally drags Yahoo out to sea and buries it. They're a vast digital ghost town of run down services with no inhabitants. Their web portal is a complete wreck of ad content that hijacks the page layout. It won't load reliably without an ad blocker yet links don't work with one. How is this same portal is going to safely collect data to build an "interest graph?" I see maybe two Yahoo e-mail addresses a year that aren't a 419 scam, phishing scam, or spam from yet another person with a stolen Yahoo account. The ROI of firing the anti-abuse staff should be clear now.

11. Mike Flugennock

So, can we just make it official...

...that whenever one of these clowns mentions "personalization" it actually means "we're going to hoover up as much of your private data as we can and sell it"?

I'm also impressed -- in a perverse fashion -- that Mayer and her ilk are still beating that "user experience" riff to death. That bullshit's almost as beat to death as "Electronic Pearl Harbor".

12. MrRtd
    FAIL

In other words, let us track your every move online and we'll be able to more accurately target ads to you.

No thanks.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aw, cut her some slack!

I don't see why the decades old toolbar, groups and 360 blog thing are being blamed on a CEO who only joined last summer? ;-)

Yahoo Mail's been perfect for me over the years, same address since the nineties, because it wasn't my trainer-wheels email account, I'd already learned through my usenet days not to share email addresses with random sites and forums or I'll end up with spam. That's my theory, first accounts are always the spammiest, or if freshly signed-up you might have recycled screen name from less data-hygenic previous owner.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like