back to article Scottish Power blows a fuse after Twitter hijacking

A Scottish Power Twitter account was hacked this morning to usher customers into the clutches of web miscreants. Many of the 2,000-plus followers of the UK utility's @SP_EnergyPeople feed received malicious direct messages tempting them to visit a phishing website designed to harvest Twitter login details. Scottish Power …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RyokuMas
    Flame

In the current climate...

... you're likely to lose less money to a phishing scam than you would paying the extortionate rate that Scottish Power - or indeed, any other energy provider - charges.

1. LarsG
      Meh

2000 followers

What do you mean Scottish Power has 2000 followers.

Do these people have nothing good going on in their lives?

1. Gav
        WTF?

Re: 2000 followers

That's what I thought. Who the hell follows an energy company's tweets? Why?

1. PaulR79

Re: 2000 followers

When all power here went out at about 5:26am a few weeks back I was wondering how I'd find out what was going on. We don't get our power from SE but I can see it being used, potentially, for things like this. As it happens I found a site that gave me the information I needed but no ETA on a fix. Power was back after about 40 minutes so I didn't have to empty the freezer and feast eat the things that were going to go off.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Supplier / Faults

"We don't get our power from SE but I can see it being used, potentially, for things like this."

It may be worth pointing out that whatever energy supplier you use, it is not they who are responsible for infrastructure maintenance and fault rectification. It would be your local distribution network operators (such as United Utilities) who would be best positioned to provide status information - they usually provision an automated telephone service for such.

Maybe they could tweet as well (I haven't checked), although some people might find it hard to use Twitter when the power is off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the current climate...

Generate your own, then. I don't think DECC have rejected a single CCGT application in the past five years, so yours will surely be approved.

2. Chris Pinto
    FAIL

This actually happened 2-3 days ago

And I made them aware within about 5 seconds of them posting the 'spam' initially.

They did remove it within seconds but hey, it's the internet.

3. teebie

Burns night

Is the implication that this happened because they were drunk?

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Burns night

and high on haggis.

I miss haggis.

4. EddieD

Hic..

Lester's haggis pakora recipe worked wonders up here, for an alternative Burns' supper

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like