back to article Kernel hacker Alan Cox quits Linux, Intel

Top Linux kernel contributor Alan Cox has announced that he is stepping down from his position at Intel and will no longer be involved with Linux development, citing family reasons. The British-born Cox, who makes his home in Swansea, Wales, has been one of the most active developers of the Linux kernel since the early days of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He stuck to his convictions.

"Top Linux kernel contributor Alan Cox has announced that he is stepping down from his position at Intel"

Good to see he stuck to his convictions and wouldn't work for any kind of monopolistic corporation.

Ha-ha-ha.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Windows

Re: He stuck to his convictions.

I doubt that you could contribute even a pair of old socks to a charity shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I doubt that you could contribute even a pair of old socks to a charity shop."

Indeed. I'm surprised the fucker contributed so much as a comment to this board. He needn't have bothered though.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Linux

"Good to see he stuck to his convictions and wouldn't work for any kind of monopolistic corporation."

Can you link to evidence of 'his convictions'?

Most work on GNU/Linux is done by developers who work for RedHat, Intel, and other large for-profit organisations. Open Source/Free software does not preclude business. This isn't Oxfam!

Life: it comes and gets you sometimes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Even kernel hackers have to eat occasionally.

1. Bob H
        Coat

@Mahatma Coat

I was under the impression they sat atop mountains in a meditative state generating code with just their minds?

1. James Hughes 1

@Bob H. You are thinking of Stallman. They don't have showers up there either.

4. yossarianuk

Alan Cox was not only Linux no.2. He was also British, arguably the most famous British kernel hacker on the planet.

Know anyone British and famous that works @ Micrsoft - cos I don't.

2. John Sanders
    Pint

I for one...

Want to thank Alan Cox for all his work and wish him good luck.

That beer is for you mate!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I for one...

Thanks to Mr. Sanders for having got in line first to express gratitude to Mr. Cox. I don't know if he reads these boards, but I do wish him well.

As for this bit: "I'd like to assure everyone that while I frequently think Linus is an asshole (and therefore very good as kernel dictator) I am departing quite genuinely for family reasons"

I think that's just class!! :)

3. billium
    Pint

me too

Thanks Alan Cox.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tip of the hat

A legendary kernel hacker and a hell of a nice guy, and instrumental to the success of Linux. He did things that Linus was sure couldn't be done early on, and arguably gave the whole project a massive kick up the arse. Modern computing has changed for the better as a direct result.

Here's to you, AC, may life treat you kindly, whatever you do next.

5. E 2

Thanks Alan

Thanks for all your work on Linux. You are a great guy and I think Queen Lizzy should give you a knighthood.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thanks Alan

And then he rejects it with background music by T he Sex Pistols.

6. Geoffrey W
    Linux

Wow!

I don't mean to be mean or anything but what else could a guy who looks like him do but be a Linux kernel developer? He even wears a red hat! I wonder which comes first, Linux or appearance.

Hope the family problems aren't too serious.

1. The FunkeyGibbon

Re: Wow!

I dunno, I looked at him and thought maybe he could have written Watchmen, Tom Strong and From Hell... :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm in shock!

Someone actually uses Google+ by choice!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Dr. Mouse
    Pint

Good luck to him

Not many can say they have left as big a mark on the computing world. I wish him all the best and hope the "family reasons" aren't anything serious.

On a side note, I think that his response to the conspiracy theories is a classic:

"while I frequently think Linus is an asshole... I am departing quite genuinely for family reasons"

I'll raise a glass to him tonight. Cheer Alan!

10. Jeremy Sanders
    Pint

Knighthood

Alan Cox is a serious monarchist:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.acpi.devel/53429

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The end of linux

I predict this is the end of Linux as an operating system. Without the contribution of a man of the talents of Cox, there is no future. The question is who will be the main beneficiary. Microsoft, despite having developed one of the most innovative OS's of all time in Windows 8 have failed to convince the idiotic computing community that the incredible metro interface is what they have been looking for all along. Apple, under the dubious leadership of Cook are flailing around attempting to find a new unwanted product they can market to the sheeple.

The only hope now is that IBM resurrect the classic design team of the early 90's and restart development on OS/2 Warp. But that is unlikely. Dark times for the community.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The end of linux

What are you smoking, out of interest?

1. blcollier

[@AC, 11:24] Re: The end of linux

I don't care what it is as long as he gives me the number for his dealer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Possibility #1: OP genuinely believes Linux is dead, Win8 is an innovative failure, Apple customers are "sheeple" and the solution is for IBM to bring back OS/2.

Possibility #2: Y'all posting in a troll thread.

Which seems more likely?

3. Fatman
      FAIL

Loverock Davidson???

Is that YOU????

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I frequently think Linus is an asshole

And I'm sure his openness makes for a good working relationship between the two.

The commercial world would do well to learn from this refreshing honesty.

Of course, there are assholes ...and real assholes.

13. bamalam
    Linux

Thank you Alan

Just like to say thanks to Alan for all the dev work on the Linux kernel which made it a lot better than it could have been.

A great guy, so best of luck for the future.

14. Mark Allread
    Thumb Up

It's DEFINITELY because

He's fallen in love with Windows 8. The lure of the live tiles did it in the end.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like