back to article Netflix shares jump as outfit adds 10 million subscribers in 2012

Netflix watched its stock blow up - spiking 35 per cent - on Wall Street on Wednesday after the company reported better-than-expected profit in the company's fourth quarter and a climb in global subscribers to 33 million. The outfit's outspoken boss Reed Hastings also took the opportunity to have a dig at the competition in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New features...

Don't they realise new content is more likely to pull in punters.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: New features...

Couldn't agree more. I did a trial, but their content, compared to Lovefilm, is decidedly lacking. I am not so desperate that I can't wait for DVDs in the post.

2. Efros

Would be interesting to see

If cable TV subs are going down by the same extent.

3. The FunkeyGibbon
    Meh

Netflix still has some way to go.

I like what I can get on there, generally, but in the UK at least there are some massive holes in it's offering.

1. Anonymous Coward 101
      Unhappy

Re: Netflix still has some way to go.

I was impressed with the service I got on my Xbox 360 during my month long trial. Films were clear and quick to resume after a break. It also worked on my Android phone. I was not impressed that, with a few exceptions, films were straight-to-video crap. There are some good US TV series there, but it is otherwise shite.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No point here - adsl1 and a lousy piece of copper means my line isnt stable enough for streaming - speed isnt stable enough to bother downloading...

Digital Britian? Not while Openjoke are fiddling with the network

1. Binky

I have a 1.5meg line and streaming from netflix to idevices works fine with very short buffer times.

5. Wardy01
    FAIL

Netflix is good but ...

... it lacks real substance.

When they make it a viable alternative to TV i'll drop my TiVo subscription.

My subscription: cancelled!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Netflix is good but ...

NetFlix is poor in the UK. Disregard what your American fanboys and shills tell you, Lovefilm is the way to go over here. Either streaming only (£4.99), or disks by post too( £7.99)

1. K

Watch the US Netflix then, I do!

1. Geoff Lamb

Which is illegal. So why don't you save the money and illegally download it?

Why would you pay money to break the law?

1. chrisevans1001
            WTF?

Can you show me the law that states it is illegal?

You have signed up with Netflix using a UK account, paid using a UK credit card and access their US site. The agreement for where content is distributed lies with Netflix and the relevant content owners. The fact that you can access is their problem and they could put an end to it if they wished.

Regardless, Netflix have themselves posted on Twitter in the past about using a VPN to access content from the US.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

In truth, there's probably no single service you can depend on if you want to "cut the cord". On the other hand, it's pretty easy to tap into multiple services. A combination of them may be just the thing.

You just might have to pay more than $8 per month.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are likely to compete more like Showtime and HBO do today.

Do they honestly think this will work?

A couple of years ago, I dumped the use of Torrent etc as I could get the content I wanted from 1 legitimate source at a very competitive subscription cost. If you honest believe I would also be willing to splash out on multiple subscriptions, you are fucker bonkers (He says as he dusts off the Torrent client!).

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: We are likely to compete more like Showtime and HBO do today.

Oh so true....just like the 'great ideas' to break sports into separate packages so you have to buy more than one subscription to watch a full tournament/league/season.

While I hate the idea (and reality) of monopolies, GET A GRIP. If you guys insist on having a treasure chest of content which no-one else can have (my preciousssss) then guess what? Someone will find/create another channel which may not be the same high quality but it's free.......

7. ElsieEffsee

I've cut the cord

In October last year I cancelled by VM TV contract but have kept the broadband and landline. As I was on an XL contract this has saved me a hefty chunk of cash each month. Yes, I miss the sport, my sons miss all the Discovery / Nat Geo channels and my daughter the music but you soon get used to Freeview and running Netflix through a PS3.

Admittedly, there is an awful lot of rubbish on there but there is more than enough quality to justify £6 a month for great quality streaming. However, I'd be happy to pay more for extra / more up to date content. I know its early days but the days of watching shows to a set schedule is coming to an end. Being able to legally stream what you want, when you want at a reasonable price is the future.

8. Sleepy 3

You can use unblock-us.com to get access to the US & Canadian stuff, which is a lot better. If my wife wasn't soap addicted, I've have gotten rid of Sky months ago.

1. Efros
      Pint

Likewise my wife, except her addiction is even more reprehensible... Reality TV, bleugh!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netflix is for the cheapos in society who don't want to pay for Sky!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Untrue

I cancelled my £20 a month subscription, as I was watching bullshit "because it's on". For £8 a month, I have Loveflim, and now watch what I want to watch, and nothing more.

It's a WAY better service.

2. The FunkeyGibbon
      FAIL

Disappointed with Sky

It doesn't offer much above and beyond Freeview, Sky1 should just be called the Simpsons Channel, and their double dipping approach of adverts *and* a subscription is a piss-take. ITV manage on the former BBC on the latter. Sky don't actually produce much, they are more or less a reseller for HBO these days.

10. K
    Mushroom

@ Obviously!

Maybe so - But Sky is for idiots in society who don't know when they are being shafted!

1. JEDIDIAH
      Mushroom

Re: @ Obviously!

> Maybe so - But Sky is for idiots in society who don't know when they are being shafted!

Cable is something that is seen by many as overpriced and you don't have anything to show for it in the end. It's this big money pit. I get a lot of flack from the missus over my own cable subscription but never hear any complaints about the things I just buy outright from places like Amazon.

It's not surprising that there's discontent out there.

11. Barry Rueger

Bang for Buck

We're one of those new Netflix households, via a new Sony DVD player. Plus a sub to Blockless.com, which makes NetFlix think we're in the US and not Canada, quadrupling our choices.

Upside: $12-13 a month, versus the $50-100 we would pay for a cable subscription.

Downside: a really mediocre interface, esp. on the TV; great holes in the selection, and no obvious way to guess what will or will not be available.

The geographic thing is critical. How come, for instance, US Netflix has more Dr Who episodes than UK Netflix? Weird.

All in all though, we've been lapping up a whole bunch of TV series that are new to us, if not to the greater TV universe.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like