back to article Latest Symantec CEO's 'revolution' could axe 1,000 jobs

Symantec's latest CEO plans a "revolution" to create a 4.0 version of the firm by slashing bureaucracy, shaking up its portfolio, renewing a direct sales push in the enterprise, and cutting staffers. An insider told Bloomberg that the reorganisation could impact up to 1,000 employees. The plan was formed by Steve Bennett, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Ramsay

Sounds like they've worked out...

...how bloated their software is...

1. Tom 35

Re: Sounds like they've worked out...

Sounds more like a typical CEO "how to make the stock market happy" then a "how to make to product and service better for the customer" plan.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

c'mon c'mon

Are they going to give us sweet solutions?

3. The Godfather
    Facepalm

Hope all the notes gathered during the whistle-stop tour make sense when finally read. This is admission of failings but results will define the success or otherwise of proposed changes. Saying the right things and delivering them are never assured.

4. David Austin

Yeah, nice whatever: When is Backup Exec 2012 R2 Gonna ship? It may actually make the product usable for anyone outside Enterprise level IT again.

1. zaphy42
      FAIL

We want Backup Exec 2012 R2 NOW!

I agree entirely with David.

I don't give a toss about this. Symantec needs to all their resources into sorting Backup Exec out, after the utter crap that was 2012!

2. Paul S. Gazo
      Facepalm

Friend, BE2012 isn't usable for anyone INSIDE Enterprise level IT. In fact, the loss of multi-server selection-lists impacts larger companies the most. While there were some really neat improvements in things like DeDupe, the fundamental functionality of the product is seriously degraded.

Good news: Symantec has a Beta out for the next release of BE.

Bad news: the beta is a refresh to include Server 2012 and Exchange 2013. It explicitly won't return Job Monitor or multi-server selection lists. For that... we continue to wait.

This, after the debacle that was SEP11's gold release. SEP is pretty decent now, but after the elegance of SAV, the 11.0 release was horrendous.

My advise to Symantec: stop worrying about "solutions" and "channels" and such. Just make your products better than everyone else does and you'll rake in money.

1. Roger Greenwood
        Happy

"Just make your products better than everyone else does and you'll rake in money."

Very true.

And todays winner (financially) is Samsung.

I am not comparing products, just attitude and results.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they have already left?

Was not able to get Symantec chat support for hours today...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Were you trying during India office hours?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing wrong with this company

Every IT company thinks they are going to grow profits and revenues by 10% a year while total IT spend is flat. Not going to work. Sounds like another slash and burn job to get a sugar rush profit increase followed by a steep decline.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope it's painful...

Hair shirts for all Symantec folks. No exceptions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like