back to article 'Gozi Trojan trio' blamed for multimillion-dollar bank raid spree

US prosecutors have accused three people of using a bank-account raiding Trojan to infect at least one million computers and steal millions of dollars. Russian national Nikita Kuzmin, 25, Latvian resident Deniss Calovskis, 27, and Mihai Ionut Paunescu, a 28-year-old Romanian, were behind the scam, according to charges filed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"among 1,000,000 computers suspects accused of infected"

Erm?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows Kiss of Death

I'll save you the bother Eadon...

Windows is doomed. Windows was always doomed. Microsoft are a scab on society's anal flanges. The world is doomed to eternal damnation and hellfire if it continues to use Windows. NASA will burn in Hell for using Windows too.

Now, if they all just switched to Linux, it will all be sweetness and light and we can love one another and the world again.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Windows Kiss of Death

In my family we have Windows too but I never use Windows for any banking tasks. For a Windows user I would suggest a usb stick with Linux for banking transactions. Cheap and easy to do. As for Eadon perhaps he is a Windows user in disguise. A very counter productive chap if he supports Linux. If I prefer a Mercedes to a BMW why would I write about BMW all the time, why not rather some good about the Mercedes.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Lars Re: Windows Kiss of Death

"....I would suggest a usb stick with Linux for banking transactions....." Whilst that may save you from some attacks, it will not save you from user-stupidity based attacks or social engineering. Just don't use online banking, simplest answer of all, as I have refused to since it first appeared.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Now, if they all just switched to Linux, it will all be sweetness and light and we can love one another and the world again."......until "software nasties" are written for 'nix machines.

Honestly, pointless!

(I hate twenty-teenagers)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I hate twenty-teenagers"

What about the other 1.5 billion?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"or a Windows user I would suggest a usb stick with Linux for banking transactions."

Why?

I've been banking online for years and years on a windows machine. NEVER EVER had a problem.

Though, I have at least 1 brain cell. 1 more than the average PC user tho.

4. Alister
    Coat

As the US Department of Justice points out, "the charges contained in the indictments are merely accusations and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty".

Really? When did they change to that?

1. Gray
      Trollface

Don't believe everything you read ...

@Allister

They didn't ... this is a press release, remember? Please ignore the mandatory boiler-plate statements.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bank-account systems raiding Trojan?

`Systems at NASA were among the 40,000 computers in the US infected by the trio's Gozi Trojan, described in a US Department of Justice statement as "one of the most financially destructive computer viruses in history"*.'

`The Gozi Virus is malicious computer code or “malware” that steals personal bank account information, including usernames and passwords, from the users of affected [Windows] computers' ' link

6. Jtom
    Megaphone

Time to stop this sort of thing

I haven't had a problem with this Trojan, but like most other Internet users, I have had to clean up a few viruses and Trojans, as well as fend off deceptive phishing emails.

It is vexing, irritating, and can be very time consuming to rid a computer of an infection. So if any of you are in a position to influence the criminal laws on this, please consider this as 'fair':

Anyone convicted of writing or deliberately distributing a virus or Trojan that infected machines must pay any and all costs or losses attributable to the virus or Trojan, AND a jail sentence (no parole) equal to the total number of man-hours spent to remove of said virus or Trojan from those machines. So if one million machines were infected, and it took an estimated one-hour to clean the machine, the perpetrators would receive a jail sentence of one million hours. That would be a sentence of a little over 114 years. Then maybe these creeps would have some idea of the magnitude of the problems they create.

This topic is closed for new posts.