back to article Microsoftie's tell-all on 'rival-flinging' Ballmer: The politics of disbelief

A former Microsoft executive has sketched an unflattering portrait of Steve Ballmer that depicts him as a cut-throat Machiavellian schemer, and claimed in his new book that the top man at Redmond has forced out rivals who challenged his authority. Joachim Kempin, a former head of Microsoft's OEM business, claims chief …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn
    Happy

In other words...

Respect my Athoritaaah!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Microsoft Damage Control©

I see the damage control exercise has already begun in the media ...

1. Ged T
      Coat

Re: Microsoft Damage Control©

MSO-911-112-999 "Microsoft advise that this media player patch is applied with immediate effect."

Mines the one with thet box of press bandaids in the pocket.

3. dogged
    Holmes

Good article.

Oddly, I agree with Gavin pretty much 100%. "Outsiders" don't seem to last long at MS and Kempin wants to sell a book. Ballmer's weaknesses have historically been backing losers rather than Machiavellian plotting. If Sinofsky hadn't bailed (and nobody except he and the MS board really know why), this book would have sunk without a trace due to lack of media interest.

As it is, he'll probably sell a copy to Eadon (it can go on his "erotic fantasy" shelf) but that's about it.

4. wowfood
    Black Helicopters

Shaky Ground

I'm not all that knowledgable of the american legal system, but a book about this kind of thing, could Balmer not have a case of libel / slander against the guy?

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Shaky Ground

It is nearly impossible for a public figure to win a libel suit under US law. Since Sullivan v. NY Times, the plaintiff has to prove actual malice.

5. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

Interesting to note in passing that Elop left after a year at Redmond.

If he left because MS' corporate culture was not to his liking (as implied in the article) then that does rather beg the question as far as his alleged role as a "trojan horse" at Nokia is concerned, hmm? Perhaps we might even focus (when the issue comes up) on evaluating his decisions at Nokia on their own merits/demerits rather than the tin foil hat speculation that a certain number here are so fond of.

6. Arctic fox
    WTF?

"If Elop was not a Trojan horse, then he would have kept Symbian and Meego alive"

What you appear to be saying is that because he has taken decisions that you don't agree with then that proves he is Redmond's trojan horse? I do not know where to begin to explain the fallacy in the logic of that argument. Apart from anything else it is based on an assumption that the man is a villain because he does not share your opinions. You must be an absolute joy to be down the pub with if you are of the view that anyone who disagrees with you must be doing it for the worst possible motives.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: "If Elop was not a Trojan horse, then he would have kept Symbian and Meego alive"

Personally, I can't wait until Eadon starts distilling his wisdom in published form. CEOs around the world are probably already thinking "now, what would Eadon do?".

7. piscator
    Gimp

Says it all

"the company has spent 12 years throwing billions of dollars at every game-changing technology wave to catch up" ... (and never did .... will they ever learn ?)

8. disgruntled yank

startup

"A 47-year-old Unix server guy from Silicon Valley joins an aggressive, Unix-bashing start-up outside the The Valley?" Was Microsoft really a start-up in 1998 or 1999? It seemed to me to be pretty well entrenched by then.

9. Frankee Llonnygog

Captain Immanence

Eating the first and second children is standard practice among the Prador

10. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

I still don't get it.

OK, the N8 (s60) and the N9 (MeeGo) weren't making a lot of money. But they were making money.

Why dump them before time?

So Flop jumps off his burning platform, to go Windows-7 (already obsoleted), and now we've got Windows-8.

Hope Flop lands in the "Jolla".

11. Ramazan

Xbox

There are Dean Takahashi's books on Xbox, and Ballmer didn't obviously have to do much with the Xbox project

12. JCHolyManPayneUnix333
    Angel

Google is God and Microsoft the Devil

Well considering they are all working for the planets largest secret satanic cults, they are all probably guilty of crimes they could be imprisoned for. Two devils fighting over the scraps. The company needs to be exposed, sued, dismantled and most of its evil employees who have been been aware of this activity should have their day in front of a firing squad. Greed does strange things to you humans. You all could be living in paradise and instead you choice to drive in circles letting these corporate monsters destroy anything positive about this planet and its people.

13. Levente Szileszky
    Thumb Up

Mandatory link to Vanity Fair's excellent article about the lost decade of MS...

...under Ballmer's uber-incompetent "leadership", a mandatory read:

How Microsoft Lost Its Mojo: Steve Ballmer and Corporate America's Most Spectacular Decline

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer#1

It's all there, it's OBVIOUS that it is IMPOSSIBLE to fix MSFT while Ballmer and his ilks are still running it - BALLMER ET AL MUST GO ASAP, period.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

I'm sorry, I got through the article to the point when it said "the hallways at Microsoft were no longer home to barefoot programmers in Hawaiian shirts working through nights and weekends toward a common goal of excellence" and I realised it was bollocks!

14. Sugoi
    Windows

Very true to culture

I got involved in the Microsoft corporate business ecosystem in the early 2000's timeframe. I don't know whether Beluzzo and Ray Ozzie are direct casualties of the executive culture. But I know with full certainty that the cultural trend in the last decade has mushroomed and is now in a state where even PMs don't speak up for fear of saying the wrong thing and risking their career paths. Innovation has ground to a nearly complete halt because no one is willing to compromise their review score (and promotion, raise, and bonus...see also the Vanity Fair article) because they volunteered an idea management didn't like. That's really how it is culturally.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like