back to article RIM's Heins beams: BB10 must walk the walk before we talk the talk

RIM will leave the door open for those wishing to license its QNX-powered smartphone operating system - but not just yet. CEO Thorsten Heins has told Die Welt that BlackBerry OS 10 must prove itself in the marketplace before any deals can be cut, but he didn't rule out any agreements. “First we have to fulfil our promises. If …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Sanders
    Linux

Scorched device policy...?

If RIM follows the "I have sold you the device, have a minor patch for the most glaringly obvious bugs, and if you want another version of the OS buy another handset, we need the money thanks" "Scorched device" policy that they have been following for the last 5 years they can kiss my shiny plastic Android phone.

This comes from an Ex-RIM fan.

1. James 51

Re: Scorched device policy...?

The playbook has gone through OS 1.0, 2.0, 2.1 and soon to be 3.0 on the same device.

1. jai

but can RIM actually afford to spend time and money on R&D of new Playbook hardware? they're best served focusing on the new phones and if those save the company, then maybe, maybe, they can return to the Playbook and try and put out hardware that appeals to more than a tiny proportion of the world. Also, margins on tablets at the price they'd have to pitch a new Playbook at are too small to be of use to RIM at this moment. So a scorched device policy would only result in even LESS people using Playbooks than there is currently.

But the phone will be different and they'll want to keep people buying new phones so that they can keep a healthy income stream.

The first new RIMs are likely to be successful, there's plenty of people that would like to try them, or are still using their old BBs and are dying for something modern. But it's getting people to keep on buying the hardware for the rest of the year and next year that might be tricky. And to encourage that, it's not inconceivable that some features of the OS upgrades will... encourage... a hardware upgrade as well.

2. John Sanders
        Linux

I'm not talking about the device where the whole world had their eyes, and clearly a device that wasn't ready, or shall I remind you of the fantastic idea of not giving it a native email client unless using a BBry phone?

In fact v2 & v3 classify as "Bug fixes for the most glaring bugs/lack of functionality"

Ask any STORM/STORM II Bold 9780 user how do they feel about the system updates.

1. Kevin Johnston

Probably be down-voted for this, but the the whole concept of the Playbook was always an extension to the BB Device. RIM were very clear in that in all their information and it was just a pity that they were committed at a point when world+dog brought out tablets with SD/SIM slots. The Playbook was then judged against these new kids and found wanting.

It fully met it's original design brief and the success of slot-less tablets show that it is not impossible to compete on those terms so perhaps it can keep going long enough for RIM to consider if it gets replaced or quietly slips away.

1. Spoonsinger

Personal opinion obviously, but I actually quite like my Playbook. Obviously some flaws UI wise - i.e. swipe down from top to drop options menu, and swipe down again to get rid of it, (I would have thought swiping back up would have been the better way). It however does make a luvely desktop clock/calculator/internet testing device when I need it. Also the O/S is really nice in a proper modern multi-application O/S'y type of way - as you should expect these days. Problem's being with the device is that the 'other' people seemed to have shit them out of 'expected' services. But if they manage to survive that on the BB10 O/S release, they should be cooking - failing that I have a very nice desktop clock/calculator/internet testing device and some games :-)

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Battery Life

As long as RIM can keep up the "very impressive" battery life of its phones I will happily continue to purchase them. Its one thing that no one ever seems to complain about.

I don't really care for "extra options" or "apps", this thing has only one purpose for me, corporate, email and it works flawlessly....

1. danR2

Re: Battery Life

If that's all you need, why not just get a standard modern dumb-phone?

But RIM must compete against 2-3 platforms that span the smartphone-tablet spectrum. They simply don't have that. They have spent their reserves just to come up with phones that haven't been released yet and nothing to speak for them but suspiciously conveniently positive 'leaks', and silly talk about an OS that runs cars and nuclear power plants; as though that meant anything to consumers (like yourself) who simply want a phone, smart or dumb that does what they want.

As for the practicality of a full multitasking OS; if Apple thought that was more important in the immediate now for productivity than offering an OS fully supporting 30,000 Chinese words/characters handwriting recognition on a tablet, it would not have been rocket-science to implement it. You know, there's a market for corporate smartphones that support that level of productivity.

And security? Full military grade security is not to be found on a BB phone, and even if it was, security is only as good as the full ecosystem hardware, architecture and the user's common sense and safe practice, and the laws of the country in which it is deployed.

Finally, to return to battery life. If all Android and Apple and MS users want in a phone is to make phone calls, then they don't have to 'waste' their time draining it on apps. Where is the BB advantage then? Any phone will phone.

3. Matthew 3

Kudos for the 'Heins beams' headline.

It raised a smile.

4. BB
    Happy

App support

I reluctantly ditched my Bold 9900 a year ago for an iPhone in order to be able to use apps like Hailo (a must in London). I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the release of the BB10 handset with the hardware keyboard.

I will however wait a year before switching back, during which time I really hope companies like Hailo and Pocket Informant end up supporting the platform with their apps. Being able to quickly type out an email without having to correct every second miskeyed word might just save my sanity. Add to that custom ring profiles, the flashing LED and being able to run background applications without chewing up the battery!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: App support

Same here, waiting for release of device with h/w keyboard. Trying a Nokia 800 for a while the touchscreen keyboard is too frustrating. Maybe iOS and Android ones are better. Just can't give up the h/w keyboard after using Palm Treo's, and moving onto various Nokia E series. I still can't give up my E6.

5. Dreams

First time smart phone buyer

I haven't owned a smartphone yet, my current phone is a Samsung GT-E1080W. I have been waiting for the right smartphone to come along, and up till now none of the current paperweights have impressed me. I have been following the progress of RIM's new OS, and I am pleased with what I see. Shortly after January's launch, I will be purchasing a Blackberry smartphone. Since I am self employed, I'll be using it for business as well as for play.

p.s. I also can't wait to have my Playbook updated with the new OS...for free.

Oh yeah...not to be picky, but the person speaking in the video was Austrian and not German.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not wait for the hardware to be released and take a view then?

Even though I am a semi-rabid fanboi I have to admit we're in very interesting times for smartphones. Surely one more platform can only make things better?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why not wait for the hardware to be released and take a view then?

I agree with you but for one thing. The BB10 hardware is unadventurous vanilla, not too expensive and designed for ease of maintenance. It is all about the software.

As someone who likes SD cards and removable batteries, I am all in favour of unadventurous engineering.

7. Passing Through
    Thumb Up

Playbook

I own an Ipad and a Playbook and I can say that the Playbook is pretty good on the current os, in some ways it is arguably superior to the Ipad, it multi tasks nicely, flash works perfectly, the wifi setup is neat, as is the suspend function which is entirely touch powered, in fact in normal use it's all touch, including wake-up, there is HDMI out which I have yet to use but expect to work OK, The os update is automated, free and very straight forward. google maps works great including street view which was my favourite thing on the Ipad until my daughter thought she'd help the old man and upgraded to IOS6, and although I hate all things Microsoft it does have real Word and Excel albeit "To go" . I got it because it was an absolute bargain at the current price, and I feel ok carrying it around, much as I have enjoyed my Ipad I have never taken it out of the house and probably never will.

The only review I read complained about the on off button, the plonker must have been rebooting it every time he used it...

I do find it a bit short of things to fiddle with compared to a linux pc but it does work well.

"Mine's the one with the playbook in the pocket"

Oh, my phone Is Gingerbread and I like that too

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Playbook

The HDMI works perfectly (and with iPlayer).

I'm waiting to see if the Z10 phone has the same features, otherwise I'll have to find a second PB.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like