back to article RIM extends BB10 port-a-thon after dev stampede

Developers have ported another 19,000 apps to BlackBerry 10, leading Research in Motion (RIM) to extend the deadline for its various programs aimed at encouraging coders to commit to its platform. As we noted last week, a previous port-fest saw 15,000 apps readied for the new version of the other major fruity mobile operating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. djstardust
    Thumb Up

Worth a try I suppose .....

I've never had BB, but they seem to be going in the right direction.

More media centric devices that look better too. Will all depend on pricing and dev support though.

I may consider one in the future, however the Samsung Android devices are nirvana for me, so it would take a massive change for me to move platforms.

I would never consider Windows Phone though. Eurgh!

1. LarsG
      Meh

19,000 more beer and fart apps...........

2. Shagbag

Is there an optimum level of apps?

It strikes me that, although Google Play and App Store, expose a developer to a greater number of potential app buyers this can count against a developer by his/her app being 'crowded out' by the competition.

Google and Apple have always touted their big application base as a benefit for developers but I wonder if there is a level where a developer gets more 'bang for their buck' in a smaller ecosystem like BB or Windows.

I've had Android, WinPho and Apple handsets in the past and Android/Apple can be a PITA trying to decide which is the 'best' app to buy when the search list comes back with 100+ results. I didn't have that problem with WinPho but I ended up hating WinPho for other reasons - like iTunes, having to do everything through Zune was just a right royal PITA, then, when MSFT announced there'd be no upgrade for loyal WinPho7 users to WinPho8 I just thought "this is not the platform for me" and I exited and haven't looked back.

I'm curious about BB10 though. If it goes with the 'drag-and-drop' model of Android, I'll be very interested.

1. The lone lurker
      Thumb Up

Re: Is there an optimum level of apps?

If it's anything like the Playbook OS then it will be completely drag and drop. It will even show up as a drive on my PC when connected to the wireless network.

2. Mark .

Re: Is there an optimum level of apps?

Indeed - to some degree, an application download site needs a sufficient number of applications for people to regularly check it, but beyond that, for a developer less competition is better, and the issue is "installed user base" versus "number of applications".

I get 100 times the number of downloads on Nokia Store (with Symbian) than with Android (for various different apps). And as a user, the greater number of apps on Android just means more apps that basically do the same thing that I have to wade through (and far more that are ad-ware).

Though I think the article is misleading - the blog says that the deadline for the $10,000 revenue thing, but I see nothing about an extension for the $100-per-app port-a-thon(?), the last of which just took place. Still, great that it looks easy to port (apparently easy to repackage Android, as well as supporting the cross-platform Qt).

3. Silverburn
    Thumb Up

Wow - risky strategy from RIM - throwing money at a problem, when you're heamoraging market share and turnover.

On ther other hand...damn, it's tempting. And clever. Guaranteed revenue, and assistance with porting? What's not to like, given the only cost implications from a dev point of view is time.

1. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Its like spending your last money on a big tombstone when you have a terminal illness. It will look shiney and nice, but it wont change your death....

Over 100 screen shots are now out of the final RTM - it's nothing special....Can't see it is likely to change Rims fortunes much. Microsoft / Windows Phone already took 3rd place in market share of sales.

1. Andy Farley

I disagree.

They're playing double-or-quit. Good for them, it takes balls in their position.

1. jubtastic1
          Meh

Re: I disagree.

Not really double or quit, assuming all 31k apps break the $1000 sales target and then mysteriously lose steam, RIM stands to pay out 279M, or roughly 10% of its cash, so plenty of room for more desperate measures if this doesn't pan out.

2. the-it-slayer
        Thumb Up

Such a pessimistic view on things...

I don't think things will be as bad with this reboot of the BB operating system. They've actually decided to take a very good framework (QNX) and added their flavour of communication tools with a very sleek UI as far as I can see. Evolutionary? No. But necessary? Yes. There's some quite quirky but useful options being added to the BB OS. Still RIM are the only co to get security clearance from top governments to use their devices as secure communication tools.

I used to have a BB 9700 before I got the iPhone 4 (ditched the BB to get away from my ex-gf because she always hassled me over BB Messenger!). Loved the physical keyboard and wouldn't mind getting a Blackberry again. If they can execute the launch perfectly, maybe they can draw some customers who refused to buy the iPhone 5 (including myself!).

2. The Real Loki

Not really...

All they need to do is declare bankruptcy - and it looks like they're lining up for that anyway if 10 doesn't deliver the goods.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackberry is dead

Regardless of what some shareholder has written here.

34k fart apps won't save it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blackberry is dead

"Regardless of what some shareholder has written here 34k fart apps won't save it."

Bet you bought shares in BSB cos "no one wants video quality Sky satellite TV"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Blackberry is dead"

Did you even bother to watch the keynote to see what it is you're calling dead? I've never owned a Blackberry, but from that video, BB10 looks pretty sweet. I'm a big Android fan and doubt I'd switch, I have too much invested, but I wish them all the best, although they do need to work on de-nerdifying the appearance of their keynotes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"34k fart apps won't save it."

True.

But even in the last reported quarter they reported cash flow from operations of almost a billion dollars, from which you can see that RIM's troubles are severe and strategic, but the coffin lid isn't on just yet.

If they play their cards right they could yet reclaim the business phone market, because Google doesn't seem to care about the Android malware issues, and Apple are too expensive. That requires BB10 to work seamlessly and securely with all major corporate email platforms (is there a plural there?), and for BB10 to be properly secured in a smartphone world.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have you looked at their new OS? it's actually pretty good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Seen WebOS? That was pretty good to. Wasn't that relevant to the success of the product, unfortunately. BB10 needs to be fucking excellent to grab market share from iOS and Android, not pretty good.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brave extension of the offer period?

Or just a natural consequence of the BB10 release slipping again?

I'd like to see RIM succeed with BB10. But they seem to have taken the things that differentiated them (ie. a focus on business users, a physical keyboard, security) and discarded them for a weak attempt at an iPhone clone. The Blackberry users I know hate touch screen and love their little keyboards. My guess is that BB10 will sink like the HP touchPad...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Brave extension of the offer period?

The second BB10 phone will have a little keyboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dan 55

The first one is a crappy iPhone clone. What makes you think there'll be a second?

2. 404

Re: Brave extension of the offer period?

What? Wife and I loved the Storm2 - especially the tactile response the touchscreen (very tiny click when tapping out messages). We were pretty excited with the Torch and it's slider keyboard, but somehow Verizon got the retarded version and AT&T is unbearable for coverage this side of the country.

I'd gladly turn in my Motorola Droid Razr for an updated Storm/Torch-like BB, gives me a reason to fire up my BB server again.

GO BLACKBERRY!

;)

6. Jess

Will BBOS10 be available for my 9700

If it is then I will likely stay with them. If not, well when it needs replacing in a few years, I guess it'll be a Samsung with Tizen.

7. Robert Ramsay
    Thumb Up

I think Microsoft should have done this.

They could have afforded it more than RIM and they need the apps at least as much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think Microsoft should have done this.

WP already has over 150K apps and WP is now over 5% of market share. Microsoft don't need to do this.

BB10 starts from zero market share.

And $1000 only interests writers of low end apps anyway.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I used to want a blackberry but it was well out of my price range at the time. I wanted it because they had the reputation at the time of reliability and security. The keyboard was easy to use and the battery life was a force to be reckoned with. I have no use for apps nor browsing the web (I have plenty computers and email accounts).

I recently needed a new phone after my samsung chat finally came to the end of its life (amazing phone if you dont need smart features). I looked at blackberry but they are aiming for the smart market. Low battery life, network problems and still pricey. In the end I have gone with a samsung smart phone for the reputation of decent phones.

9. Jean-Paul

Apps aside

What I like is that they integrated (continued from the Playbook) proper caldav, carddav support. Very cleverly that way it also integrates with the Apple iCloud for synchronising your address book and diary across various devices...No need for BES, Exchange or Google propriatary systems...Combined with IMAP IDLE, it is a nice little device with good integration...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apps aside

But CalDav / carddav / IMAP absolutely sucks when compared to EAS.

1. Jean-Paul

Perhaps so, but not having to have a Microsoft Exchange server for small (big) business and let alone individuals makes it a lot easier. Enterprise grade they can still integrate with their BES with EAS so nothing lost, but lots gained :)

1. TheVogon
          Mushroom

What else would they run then? Lotus Notes ? lol. Its a lot easier not to have a BES than not have an Exchange server.....

Even if you don't have Exchange, then the obvious alternative of Office 365 also supports EAS.

10. menotu

Well, unless at least half of the new ported apps are flatulent oriented .. the iSheep crowd will never be impressed...

11. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Curated App Store

I would like to shop in an app store that has both an official (in-house) and unofficial (customer) rating on all apps. Obviously, apps should be sorted by category. My experience has been that it is better to use my desktop to check out multiple reviews for each app while browsing the store. Alas, my phone is not up to doing both at the same time. Perhaps he technical side of this complaint will be resolved in time, but I would rather be able to enjoy a more streamlined experience.

12. Mark .

Windows 8

"Even Windows 8 (on the desktop) launched with only about 9,000."

Er, surely Windows 8 must have hundreds of thousands if not millions of applications. Please don't tell me the Reg have also fallen for the myth that an "app" is different to an application! Not to dismiss BB's numbers though, this is indeed impressive for a new platform.

Unless the Reg means Windows 8 only, but then that doesn't really tell you much - indeed ideally, the number of applications that only run on a new OS should be minimised - how many Windows 7 only apps are there? Windows RT would be a better comparison, as that is a new platform. Also let's not forget that the iphone launched with 0 apps, because it couldn't even do 3rd party apps.

13. dusdal

34k apps? A little research please :) haha

The 34,000 applications noted in the article is only for two port-a-thons from two weekends(first had 15,000 submitted, and the last-minute-port-a-thon had over 19,000 submitted). This is in addition to the anticipated 70k applications.

Thus, we can anticipate greater than 100,000 applications to be there at launch, not 34k.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like