back to article Google pulls 'racist' Make Me Asian app

Google has responded to an online petition by removing an application from its Google Play app store after thousands of netizens suggested it was racist. “Make me Asian” was one of a series of face-changer apps by a developer calling him or herself “KimbereyDeiss”. The same developer offers a a native American version - “Make …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul J Turner
    Facepalm

More PC over-reaction

I know I wouldn't be offended if there were an app' "Make Me Round-Eye".

Or maybe an app' "Make Me White", heck Michael Jackson did it in real life!

This is just pixels, big deal.

1. Ole Juul

Re: More PC over-reaction

Whenever it is hard to draw a line, some people will go over it just to make sure. To me "tasteless" might apply, but "racist" is out of the question.

1. HFoster

I think it's both. Making a cheap joke of another ethnicity is tasteless and bigoted. Doing so with the social power and privilege of whiteness behind you is racist, as it makes it an extension of years of institutionalised oppression.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

FFS - grow up, and take your pseudo intellectual white Christian guilt and bin it!

2. Jean-Luc
        Boffin

>To me "tasteless" might apply, but "racist" is out of the question.

Tasteless for sure. Racist? If quacks like a duck and it walks like a duck...

No huge deal, as an independent developer, writing apps that you sell/distribute directly to some bozos who want to have fun. Good taste? No. Law-breaking or needs to be stifled? No.

Doesn't mean it belongs on a curated catalog however. Google really should have figured out the risk to their reputation for themselves.

Put it differently. I'm white and not particularly PC. Google's not going to lose my business.

If I was not, I might wonder what motivated Google to keep this listing. And, if I were Asian, rather than the tedious white PC brigade, I don't think it would be ridiculous of me to get pissed off.

Not rocket science, folks.

3. HKmk23

Absolutely agree, in fact if you extrapolate Pastor Peter Chin's (China's?) comments then being asian is as bad as being a nazi!

2. LarsG
      Meh

Re: More PC over-over-reaction

I agree, if they had called the app Image Changer or Face Changer there would have been no problem.

I wonder who the complainants were, usually they are the white middle classes who like to get on the band wagon. Apparently this statistic holds true where more complaints are raised by white people on behalf of minorities (though in some cases not so minorities any more if you live in London) or where an occasion like Christmas has a name change to Festivalmas by a white majority city council who feel that Christmas upsets those from other religions and 'wants' to have a generic holiday period.

The world is going mad.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

I believe "Liberals" is the term for that lot....

1. Don Jefe

No. Us Liberals call that lot nutters. Nobody likes those asshats.

2. offal

Any proof that white middle class people complained about this mostly ?

Or that white people are in a minority in London ?

Or that any council attempted to rename Christmas "Festivalmas" ?

Of course not. Because these "facts" are invention. One reason the world is going mad is because people are so busy getting worked up over their invented versions of reality.

LarsG meet, crazy liberal. Crazy liberals meet LarsG. I expect you'll be very happy together.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not sure about thes first one but as for the rest a quick google would of shown you....

Englands second largest city Birmingham called its called its Christmas season "winterval" for a couple of years to be more inclusive, (Hint to the council, the piss up that is the Munich chistmas market might have more to do with people not going in rather than a name change..., not that anyone wants it to change its a bloody good night out.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval

As for White people being a minority, Just for the fun of it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246288/Census-2011-UK-immigrant-population-jumps-THREE-MILLION-10-years.html

(Other links can be found like on the uk national statictics website, but I couldnt resist using the devils own site)

1. Peter Foulkes

And the same quick Google gives you:

"Winterval: the unpalatable making of a modern myth

This is the story of the evolution of a simple Christmas tale that wound up, poisonously, at the Mail and Melanie Phillips's door"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/08/winterval-modern-myth-christmas

"How this happened makes for a fascinating story about the causes of bad journalism, the messages of irresponsible and paranoid church leaders, and badly informed, popularity-seeking politicians looking for a tabloid-friendly soundbite. The bad journalism started with the local newspaper that broke the "story" of Winterval on 8 November 1998 and travelled quickly through the national media. What is worrying is that the original story was so clearly completely untrue and contained clear statements from the council that demonstrated this."

2. Mark .

No, they renamed the winter season of festivals "winterval". Since this includes things that aren't Christmas (including plenty of things long observed here like Halloween, Guy Fawkes and New Year's Eve).

It was not rebranding Christmas - and trying to spin it as rebranding "Christmas season" is a circular argument, as you're starting out with the assumption that the season should be named "Christmas".

Christmas is a festival on one day, not a season. *You're* the one trying to rebrand an entire season, that everyone else calls "Winter"...

The only people offended over "Winterval" are people like you - so they shouldn't call it "Winterval", because people might be offended? That's PC gone mad.

(And you cite the Daily Mail - that says it all.)

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: London

If you read any historical books you'll soon realise London (indeed much of Britain) has ALWAYS been made up of mixed immigrant populations: Celts, Vikings, Romans, Saxons, Normans, Hugenots, Jews, Eastern Europeans, Indians, Chinese... absolutely nothing has changed over the last 2000 years...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

You stupid, stupid idiot. You are basically correct - but never in such a short space of time have so many foreigners come to these shores. Don't believe me? Check the census figures. Or, better sill, try walking around any of the UK's major cities and see for yourself (try opening your eyes). The fundamental makeup of our society has now changed to the point I don't even recognize the city I grew up in. Newspapers like the Daily Mail are pointing out the inherent dangers. The likes of you are so blinkered you don't even see it. I look forward to a 'Minorities' government in 15 years time where your wife has to cover herself up when she steps outside. Think it won't happen? What's to stop it.... Many of the local councils have 'minorities' running them (due to that underlying makeup) and it won't be long before that translates to a national party. 'Respect' anyone? You lot deserve everything that's coming to you but sadly you will drag us along with it.

1. NogginTheNog
                Thumb Down

"but never in such a short space of time have so many foreigners come to these shores."

We're all foreigners somewhere mate. Get over it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Or that white people are in a minority in London ?" -Yep

You can google the headline "White minority in London" and see many articles with that headline.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4bd95562-4379-11e2-a48c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Iho142Ah

1. MrZoolook
            FAIL

Quote: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4bd95562-4379-11e2-a48c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Iho142Ah

Aside from the fact that article is only readable to registered members, you seem to misunderstand (or simply misrepresent) the meaning of the word minority in this context. The article was stating census figures, the responses of which could have been any of several ethnic groups, not just 1 of two possible choices. While the Daily Hype specified White British as (quote) 'Just 44.9%', for this to be a minority, there must exist a single other group (Black British, Asian British, Asian, Muslim, European, (insert ever increasing list so as not to offend the PC brigade) etc...) larger then %44.9. There isn't. Therefore White British are a MAJORITY still.

I do hope I didn't upset you by calling you out on your propaganda!

3. Colin Millar
        FAIL

Re: More PC over-over-reaction@ LarsG

Festivalmas - you just made that up - it never happened.

4. Mark .

Like most things by people moaning about "PC", it's a myth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterval

And it seems to often be middle class white (Daily Mail reading) people complaining about "PC gone mad".

In the case of the story, it's perfectly possible to both (a) be offended and (b) believe it shouldn't be banned from Google Play. (Another point of view is that Google are free to not have things on their site - unlike a certain locked down platform, banning from one site doesn't ban it from the platform.)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BEWARE

By making fun or commenting that there is nothing racist about this app will brand YOU an institutional racist.

The wishy washy white bearded liberal tree hugging sandal wearing brigade will now make a complaint to the race equality organisations to complain about your comments.

Not only will they vilify and censure you they will demand you withdraw your comments. They will demand El Reg withdraw the article, because these are thing we are not allowed to talk about.

Failing this, El Reg will be branded a right wing national front forum.

Someone will then hack the site, release all our names claiming we are a white supremacist organisation.

That is the way free speech and free opinion is stifled.

1. JohnG

Re: BEWARE

"That is the way free speech and free opinion is stifled."

All the more reason to push back. It is a bit like accusations of witchcraft a few centuries ago. In a free society, people have to be able to discuss what is or is not discriminatory.

1. pPPPP

>> I believe "Liberals" is the term for that lot....

I think in the US, "Liberals" is the term for right wing fascists who just don't want to shoot each other with guns.

More seriously, being liberal means that you're prepared to tolerate others, including those who want to create and use a harmless application like the one being discussed. In other words, not people like you.

2. Greg J Preece

All the more reason to push back. It is a bit like accusations of witchcraft a few centuries ago. In a free society, people have to be able to discuss what is or is not discriminatory.

....Like you're doing right now?

Oh, no! The oppression! How can I, a working white male, ever survive in such a restrictive society!

2. Chris 3
        FAIL

The wishy washy white bearded liberal tree hugging sandal wearing brigade will now make a complaint to the race equality organisations to complain about your comments.

Speaking as, one of the above mentioned: No. I know it's tempting to raise the 'political correctness gone mad banner, but I think you'll find that many of the wishy washy white bearded liberal tree hugging sandal wearing brigade will look at this case and say "in questionable taste? Perhaps. Racist? Not really".

But don't let me get in the way of your persecution complex. Of course, you'll probably argue that I'm "no true liberal".

Disclosure: I don't actually have a beard.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Damn. You had to use that "make me Jim Davidson" app before posting didn't you.

Unless you're post is deep irony by using similar stereotypes to the ones you're mocking ... in which case - I bow to you.

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: AC @ 21/1/2013 08:04 GMT

They'll never recover from being called "wishy washy".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I know I wouldn't be offended if there were an app' "Make Me Round-Eye"."

... on the other hand, "Make Me Japs-Eye"....

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't get it... An app that makes you look asian is 'racist'

but an organisation that discriminates based on skin colour is not as long as its for a 'minority?"

i.e. National Black Police Association is fine, but if there was a National White Police Association would certainly not be...

When will the old folks in power realise that kids of the 80's have grown up not caring about race alone...

Annon as I expect backlash...)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The reason that the National Black Police Association exist is because they are in the minority, it helps the black police see each other, discuss things which matter to them and stand up for both themselves and give insight into the policing of black communities. The reason that there isn't a white equivalent is because the whites are in the majority so don't need a voice to stand up for them.

6. S4qFBxkFFg
      Trollface

Agreed; in any case, these things have been around for a while, probably before the app stores too.

This is the one I remember using: http://morph.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/Transformer/ (Java required); I don't think anyone called it racist.

I think the complaints might be that it's including stereotypical aspects - the rice-paddy hat might be the obvious one, if they'd stuck to just morphing, it might have slipped past.

(Some of the morphs from the link look like trollface.)

7. Rich 2 Silver badge
      WTF?

Actually, a "Make Me White" app would probably cause even more of a storm!

....but if a "Make Me White" app is racist and a "Make Me Asian" app is also racist (and presumably also a "Make Me Black" app etc etc) then ...errr ....if EVERYTHING to do with race ...errrr .....racist?

We really are a fucked-up species - we really do deserve to self-destruct. Oh hang on, I forgot. We're already working on that!

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Paul

Agreed.

What I also don't get: 8000 voters, how many of those voters has actually downloaded and tried said application? I doubt not that many considering how most votes went on outside electronic channels; I wouldn't be surprised if many of the voters did so because they simply followed the story that was being told to them.

I don't think this is justice or a justified action at all.

If a majority of the people who actually downloaded and used said app. felt insulted then yeah, by all means remove said app. and take action(s) against the author. But not because a bunch of over sensitive ignoranians demand it for reasons way beyond me.

2. Thorne

The world is full of sensitive little petals

3. frank ly

"...other racist apps, such as a Nazi app..."

Apparently, the 'Nazi' apps were actually promoting Nazi ideas of racial supremacy (and anti-Jewish sentiment), and were not 'make me Nazi' apps. I'm not sure how the objectors can conflate the 'Make me ..' apps with outright racist propaganda.

Is there a 'Make me English' app, that gives a pasty white complexion with crooked yellowing teeth, a permanent frown and a bowler hat? If so, I'd be very offended by the use of my image in that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...other racist apps, such as a Nazi app..."

Err... The app was doing it to photos from the phone front facing camera.

Right, so you get an app, you use it _YOURSELF_ on your _OWN_ photo and you are now offended.

FFS...

1. frank ly
        Facepalm

@AC 06:59 Re: "...other racist apps, such as a Nazi app..."

No. _OTHER PEOPLE_ would be using it on _THEIR_ photos ....... they'd be making themselves look like me .......

I have to explain jokes now .....

FFS

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't seem racist to me

What's wrong with someone wanting to make themselves look Asian. Or an Asian wanting to make themselves look like something else. We should petition to bring it back lol

1. pPPPP

Re: Doesn't seem racist to me

The middles classes in many Asian countries appear to want to make themselves whiter by using skin whitening creams. Perhaps they're racist, but they're probably just a bit daft.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do that as having dark skin means you have been in the sun, and that means working in the fields, which means.....shock horror....being a peasant! It's a very serious insult here to be called a peasant. Apart from being classest, they are also very racist from my experience. But they don't have a PC brigade going around telling them it's a bad thing. Instead they hope the brainwashing of 'living harmoniously' works.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't seem racist to me @pPPPP

They seriously do one girl I met in china had skin so white, that I though had a skin condition!

I'm just glad I've managed to convince a few of my friends out there to STOP using skin whitening products, that their skin is lovely the colour it is, way better than pasty white....

2. Don Jefe

South Korea has the highest per capita incidence of plastic surgery on the planet. It is led by girls wanting to look Western with bigger boobs and rounder looking eyes. It is weird because it doesn't make then look Western, it makes them look like women with funny eyes and oversized tits.

Opinions aside, their surgeons have apps to Westernize you prior to surgery. Does that make then racist too?

1. Philip Lewis

Absolutely correct. The strange thing is that to this western (round)eye, the Koreans are extremely cute naturally. It all reminds me of an "Outer Limits" - i think - episode in the 60s, where horribly disfigured surgeons discussed surgical procedures to be performed with an unseen patient, to return her look to normality. The final scene showed a normal, very beautiful woman as the patient.

3. MrZoolook
      Stop

Quote: "What's wrong with someone wanting to make themselves look Asian. Or an Asian wanting to make themselves look like something else. We should petition to bring it back lol"

Didn't you see the end of the film 'Volcano' with Tommy-Lee Jones? "We all look the same!"

Note, I felt a little bit of sick in my mouth when I heard that too, I haven't watched that scene since.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Aside from this little hiccup"

What about the botnets, malware?

6. jake Silver badge

I don't know what group of people is more idiotic.

0) The person who thought that making the "ap" was a good use of time.

1) The gootards for allowing the useless "ap" on their servers.

2) The people who actually downloaded the "ap".

3) The people actually complaining about the useless "ap", providing publicity.

4) ElReg bothering to report on a non-story. Again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: I don't know what group of people is more idiotic.

I bet you are an absolute hoot and the life and soul of the party..

Oh, hang on, are you an engineer????

1. jake Silver badge

@cornz 1 (was: Re: I don't know what group of people is more idiotic.)

Which of the groups I defined, exactly, are you defending? And why?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @cornz 1 (was: I don't know what group of people is more idiotic.)

He's a troll. Ignore him.

7. ForthIsNotDead
    FAIL

What's racist about it?

Do people know what racism actually *is*?

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: What's racist about it?

Nope, but it makes a good headline as the liberals jump on the bandwagon, start throwing allegations of racism and suddenly, a pointless but inoffensive piece of code is ripped from the store...

Gotta appease the liberals......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's racist about it?

Don't criticize the "liberals".

After all they are only exercising *their* right to free speech. The fact they decide to use this in a stupid way is no reason to prevent it.

Google's new motto should be, "don't be stupid"

8. Bob Vistakin
    Joke

I take offense

At the one which shows you with your tongue lolling out the side of your mouth, your eyes spinning in different direction and dribble seeping down your chin, but fortunately there's not much call for the "make me a WP8 user" app - or is there?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: I take offense

And that, from a man with his favourite OS interwined in his user name???

2. Adam 1

Re: I take offense

Wouldn't it be easier to just have an app with both of their photos built in?

9. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

Pastor Peter China

This guys name was just thrown in for the sake of it shirley..

10. ratfox

Big deal

Then again, the author made plenty of "make me" apps, but apparently no "make me black"…

11. Shagbag

slightly less offensive “Make me Fat”, “Make me Bald” and “Make me Frankenstein”.

Why 'slightly less offensive'?

I'm sure there are a lot of heiferlumpas out there that are incensed by the Make me Fat app. As there are chrome-domes who take offense to the Make me Bald app with apologies to the Google Chrome project as, apparently, we have to apologies these days for taking delight in the diversity of peoples' physical appearance).

Fans of Mary Shelley will also be very angry, but I suspect more so at the continued abuse of her classic novel by those that have never read it: Frankenstein was the creator of the monster, not the monster.

What really irks me about this is that a bunch of retards think the 'app' is racist. I don't believe this is possible. To my mind, only the creator of the app, could have their ethics questioned - not the 'app' - which is clearly incapable of having a conscience. Retards, the lot of them. Furthermore, on the account of 'racism' I can see no evidence of it. The author/authoress (yes, there is no such thing as a female author - just like no woman has ever won an Oscar for 'Best Actor' despite them all calling themselves that). Anyway, what I mean to say is that the preponderence of similarly themed apps (fat, bald, indian, asian) created by the same source, is clear evidence that the author/authoress is NOT racist. Clearly, he/she has no favourites and would appear to hate a number of social groups.

Shame on Google.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Fu Man Chu.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: slightly less offensive “Make me Fat”, “Make me Bald” and “Make me Frankenstein”.

I dont need no "make me fat" app...

Deep fried marathons took care of that for me... Saved me a quid too as i dont need the app, just a mirror...

2. Darryl
      Happy

Re: slightly less offensive “Make me Fat”, “Make me Bald” and “Make me Frankenstein”.

Shagbag - careful with that 'retard' word. It's not politically correct, don'tcha know, and some could be offended.

12. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Ought to be fairly simple

...to make a Ghost in the Shell inspired "Make me laughing man" app, just to see who gets offended.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ought to be fairly simple

They made a "Make Me Look Muslim" app but it just blacked out the person except for the eyes....

13. silent_count
    FAIL

It's ironic that Mr China (oh how aptly named) avails himself of the American right to 'freedom of expression' to call for someone else's to be curtailed. He and his followers are entitled to their opinion but screw Google for caving to these clowns rather than pointing them towards the first amendment.

14. Amorous Cowherder

What a load of old toot! I bet 90% of the people who complained never even saw the app, just saw the the word "asian" and started bleating like a load of fecking sheep!

The only thing I can't understand though, is what is this generic "asian" look that the app purported to provide? From my limited experience Asia is a huge continent that encomposes a huge diversity of facial tones, shapes and varities how that could be distilled into a single app with basic morphing and colouring code is beyond me.

Sounds more like a right load of crap that simply gives you an olive skin tone and black hair. Wouldn't call that rascist, just a waste of 69p that would be better spent on a fart app to be honest!

1. Trev 2

Title is cancelled due to the snow...

I would guarantee that 90% of the complaints never saw the app by a simple set of assumptions:

1) The people who complained are almost certainly members of said pastor's church.

2) The followers of said church division and very likely to blindly follow his every word like sheep.

3) Being the sorts who follow like sheep, they'd never buy anything but an iPhone.

4) It wasn't released on a iPhone and thus they'd never have seen it.

Before this gets too downvoted, the assumptions are based on this being one of those marginal and very brainwashing American churches where the congregation just follow the pastor religiously regardless of stupidity just to boost his / her ego.

15. Magnus_Pym

Just one question

Why would anybody want a 'Make me' app?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"wishy washy white bearded liberal tree hugging sandal wearing brigade"

LOL

17. ukgnome
    Joke

I hope that the makers

of Zombiu on the wii u take note and find a way to stop their make me a zombie feature - when will people stop this blatant victimisation of zombies!

18. oddie
    Thumb Up

Context is everything...

I think maybe we are knee-jerking a bit too much on this one.. I don't see how it would be racist to do this with a number of races or nationalities (yellow hair and viking helmets for everyone?) but I believe the context here is that americans (probably) are complaining about an App which unfortunately stereotypes a certain kind of abusive racism prevalent in america during the last century, where they portrayed asians (particularly chinese) in movies as blundering idiots with straw hats, squinty eyes, L>R on the fly translation, funny clothes and somehow always wearing traditional chinese clothing and fortune cookies everywhere. To avoid stereotyping some of them also worked in laundry shops.

This negative stereotyping was reinforced by a movie industry which couldn't pick on blacks (too much), because, you know, slavery, but asians were fair game, as they had only really came over to the white man's land to steal white jobs on the railroad anyway.

It is most likely against this context of the over the top asian stereotypes that the complaints came in; not that the app gives you slightly slanty eyes, dark hair, etc, but that it contains these character traits (straw hats, fu-man-chu mustaches, etc.. ) that for so long helped to ridicule asian americans and lead to, yes, racism. It is perhaps not that well known outside the US.

For easy to understand context, imagine a make me black app (not racist in itself.. at least I wouldn't find it racist.. others might), but which had the added bonus of being able to put you in cotton fields, slave chains or similar, which would then, because of context, be racist.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He needs to make a 'Make Me Honky White Trash' app to readdress the balance.

that is all.

1. Thorne

Re: He needs to make a 'Make Me Honky White Trash' app to readdress the balance.

That would be awesome....

Mullets, wife beater singlets, tatts, guns, beer

20. Greg J Preece

Fucking hell, did I just wander onto the Daily Fail? First set of replies and people are spouting off about tree-hugging liberals and crying racism.

OK, OK, I did wonder about this, looking at the first half of the article. I mean, "asian" is the wrong term, but there are far-eastern facial features. If all it's doing is that, then...

"and superimpose “rice paddy” hats, moustaches and other elements."

OK, yeah. There is a difference between playing Photoshop with your face and releasing an app that changes you into ching-chong-Chinaman. What, did it have a "slitty eyes" slider?

As for the rest of you, I really wish Nelson and friends over at SYB were still going. They'd have a field day on this article.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I blame...

...the medical profession for complaining to much, personally I don't give shit.

Hint:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/21/engineers_cold_and_dead_inside/

22. Kevin Johnston

For the best definition of Political Correctness..

turn to the master on anti-PC, Mr Billy Connolly

Political Correctness is the arrogant process of taking offence on someone-else's behalf without having the decency to ask them first.

Well it was close to that...may have had a few VERY non-PC words added in

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: For the best definition of Political Correctness..

Billy Connolly is a comedian, they say things like that to make you laugh, it doesn't make them true, it's taking a stereotype (hippy-liberal) and suggesting that political correctness only comes from them and expanding it in a humorous manner.

Personally I think political correctness is great - the trouble is that most political correctness is just basic common politeness. For instance, it's no longer acceptable for someone to call me a poof, queer or faggot - all names I have been called in the late 80s/early 90s, based on the length of my hair, rather than any knowledge of my sexuallity. This in one view is political correctness, in another is just basic politeness and decency.

From another point of view, I can't think of the last time I heard someone say something racist in the pub, certainly without being challenged about it. This is a good thing. It's also political correctness.

23. RainForestGuppy

Good Knows..

what some of these people complaining would make of some of the very regrettable "sitcoms" that were produced in blighty during the 70's, 'Love thy Neighbour' and 'Mind your language' spring to mind.

Racist, Xenophobic and very unfunny.

24. Trollslayer

At least Google respond

and say something, there are other who don't.

25. Greg D
    FAIL

Why is the term "asian" offensive?

Someone from the continent of Asia is, by default, Asian.

More PC bollocks. Not that I really care, I wouldnt use this sort of app anyway. Waste of my time. It's the principle that annoys me.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Krusty the Clown springs to mind

With his flapping dickie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vg7_gaVUd0

Think thats the right video. No youtube at work :o(

1. hplasm
      Thumb Up

Re: Krusty the Clown springs to mind

"With his flapping dickie..."

Enough of this Savile inuendo!

27. Justice
    Facepalm

Uh, so by definition...

Is using the 'Gangnam Style' app which pastes your face onto an Asian man and has him dancing around also considered 'racist'?

28. Bernard M. Orwell
    WTF?

Is this the right room for an argument?

Jebus Wept!

I read the first quarter page of comments in wide-eyed (ahem) disbelief; I thought I'd wandered into the Daily Fail Readers Comments section for more than a few minutes. The bigoted vitriol was near enough to drown in.

Reg, can we have a "Knee Jerk Response" icon please?

(FTR: I'm a liberal, Neo-Socialist, and I believe that the app was not racist but was incredibly tasteless. I believe, further, that no one has the right to censor others based on personal offence and that racism will only be defeated when we stop drawing distinctions between races with articles like this.)

29. MrZoolook
    Facepalm

Hmmm - Pot, Kettle, Black

From the article:

The writing was probably on the wall for the apps when a Change.orgpetition organised by Washington pastor Peter CHINA calling for their removal garnered more than 8,000 signatures.

Then the next paragraph:

“Google has tried to defend itself in this matter by stating they are not responsible for the content of apps because Android is open source,” CHIN wrote on Change.org.

Has he been using it himself to come up with Asian names?

30. Philip Lewis

simpsonize.me

Sadly it disappeared, but ...

This topic is closed for new posts.