back to article Brits' privates furtled in TWO-THIRDS of UK fraud cases

Two out of three fraud cases in the UK involved identity theft, according to Blighty's Fraud Prevention Service, CIFAS. Brits are reminded to guard their private data as closely as they guard their wallets and purses. The new figures suggest fraud rose to a record level in the UK in 2012 as more and more crooks obtained …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trollslayer

Ye canna beat a gud furtle!

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Unhappy

Where does it go?

How comes that if I want to send money abroad the banks act like it is some arcane science and charge me extortionately, but thieves can do it easily?

Surely there must be a trail of where the money goes?

1. Dr. Vesselin Bontchev
      Boffin

Re: Where does it go?

The banks charge extortionately the thieves too. But the thieves don't care - the money isn't theirs.

Yes, there is a trail. The money goes to a money mule who has been duped to send it further via Western Union. There the trail ends.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazing isn't it?

You have to tell adults to keep their business to themselves! Kids have a better idea than their parents.

Doesn't bode well does it?

Welcome to stupidville.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Oh really.

"You have to tell adults to keep their business to themselves! Kids have a better idea than their parents"

Unless they have a Facebook account, in which case they will tell you anything

Ah the facebook fools of today are the identity theft victims of tomorrow.

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Businesses have to prove their identity to customers too

I kind lady with an Indian accent phone me and asked the same questions my bank asks to confirm my identity. She was unable to demonstrate the she worked for a company I had recently purchased from. When I called that company, they had no way to confirm my identity now that I was confident I was talking to the right person.

Which slug brained nitwit selected this easily exploitable procedure?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Businesses have to prove their identity to customers too

I hate to tell you this, but banks fail to do this too. The only banks who can do this properly without disclosing your details to a 3rd party are those that use some challenge-response or OTP token, and *none* of them are set up for it.

Thus, the only route for you to talk to your bank is to call them. Unless someone comes up with a VoIP hack..

2. JohnG

"I kind lady with an Indian accent phone me and asked the same questions my bank asks to confirm my identity"

If my bank (or anyone else) phones me and starts asking for information, I tell them that I will not divulge any information to someone on the telephone and that they can contact me via some other means or they can ask me to contact them.

1. Mayhem

I get a recurring issue with this if my credit card bill isn't paid for a month.

Lloyds has a collections service based out of a call center in India. They phone you up on the number you have registered with your account, and advise there is a serious problem with your account.

They then ask you to confirm your name, address & DOB before they tell you what kind of problem you have.

I said no ... you called me. What kind of problem is it, and I'll consider answering your questions. "we can't tell you until you confirm your identity". You just specifically asked for me on my own number!

I first asked how I knew they were from the bank. They said because that's who they worked for. I asked them to prove it. I asked for a number to call them back via and they don't have one (being overseas based). They couldn't tell me any of my account details due to "UK privacy laws" and advised me to urgently contact a branch.

The branch looked confused, and said nothing was wrong with my account and to play along next time to see what happens.

Next time round I found a slightly less inept person and went back and forth trading details so I knew they at least had access to my account. Turns out my credit card was overdue by £1.68.

Reasons to love UK customer service #31434 /sigh.

On the other hand the Lloyds Credit Card Fraud guys are fantastic. They have numbers you can verify and call them back on, they will happily provide details from your recent transactions to prove who they are, and they are very very good at picking up on abnormal transactions. They also have an extremely short call queue, which speaks well for their ability to deal with problems fast.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Debrett

Because of something an ancestor did hundreds of years ago, I have a third cousin who's a baronet. This means I and my whole family are in Debrett. Which means the following information about me is in the public domain:

My full name

My date of birth

My address

My wife's name

Our date of marriage

My children's names and dates of birth

My mother's name and maiden name

The names and dates of birth and addresses of all my siblings, and my dad

etc.

Happily I've never been the victim of any sort of identity based fraud. But I cannot keep this information private, so it is worthless as "security details". There are tens of thousands of people to whom this applies, so any organisation that assumes this information "private" is negligent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Debrett

this can also happen if your extended family contains a keen genealogist who used the internet.

6. tarner
    Mushroom

crap mail

It doesn't help when crap mail will happily redirect yr post for anyone who pays for it .

Grrrrrrrrr

7. koolholio
    Stop

This is why an annual credit report helps to keep the fraudsters away

time to get strict on those data losses of idiots who 'couldnt care less for the consequences of their (in)/actions' ?

8. Jess--

another easy way to make all your details public...

start your own company,

as a company director the gov't very kindly releases your details

Name, Address, Telephone No, Date of birth

9. Coldwind104

This is presumably a different set of kids than the ones who are spending every waking moment broadcasting every available piece of information about their lives on Facebook, Twitter and the like?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like