back to article 'Like most convoluted theories, it was an incorrect one'

This was the week when Aaron Swartz's suicide called into question the blanket severity of maximum sentences faced by those accused of crimes under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Angry supporters of Swartz partially blamed the pressure he was under as the subject of 13 different counts that could have resulted in over 30 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Mushroom

"And anyway, since the Force is the essence of all things, one imagines it would rather resist blowing a planet up..."

Wouldn't that depend on whether one is looking at the light side or the dark side?

2. Tomislav

Re: "Wouldn't that depend on whether one is looking at the light side or the dark side?"

Which one of has cookies? :)

1. AdamT

Time for the gaffa/duck/duct tape (mis)quote: "It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the galaxy together"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Which one of has cookies? :)

Oh, the dark side always has the better cookies. That's a law of nature :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume they did the whole.

"Sign this plee bargin or we will take you to court and you will get 30 years" crap they like to do

4. P. Lee
    Unhappy

>Didn't seek maximum penalties or tell his lawyers

They didn't need to. Schwartz' lawyers would not have been doing their duty if they did not inform him of the worst-case scenario.

> The government was able to bring such disproportionate charges against Aaron because of the broad scope of....

This is pretty much how all laws are framed these days.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't seek maximum penalties or tell his lawyers

nah, they didn't "seek", or told the lawyers they would seek max penalties. They merely mentioned past cases, bluntly and numerous times, so that the message would be loud and clear.

1. Wize

Re: Didn't seek maximum penalties or tell his lawyers

Standard American trial practices. Make threats of the worst so that you'll admit to some lesser charge.

No, I shouldn't call it threats.I'm sure its a semantic in the wording that they would sue me for.

6. Smallbrainfield
    Paris Hilton

"Insignificant"

He's paraphrasing Darth Vader, who considered the Death Star insignificant compared to the power of the force.

He was right in a way, as Luke Skywalker used the force to target the vent with missiles which led to the destruction of the Death Star.

7. Schultz
    Thumb Up

Bob went into management, but forgot to tell anyone

see title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bob went into management, but forgot to tell anyone

In fact, his offence seemed to be that he ran an outsourcing company, very efficiently, without telling people.

8. Wallyb132
    WTF?

I call bullshit...

I call bullshit on the statement made in response to the death star petition that said:

The Administration doesn't support blowing up planets...

Bullshit, the administration nuked the moon 3 years ago for no good reason, my guess is that Obama was practicing for when he causes the senate to implode, creates the Galactic Empire and declares him Emperor... He cant build the death star yet, its too soon, people would become suspicious...

1. BoldMan
      Thumb Down

Re: I call bullshit...

There is a rather large difference between setting an explosion on a planet and blowing up a planet - by several orders of magnitude I reckon!

2. David Given
      WTF?

"...the administration nuked the moon 3 years ago for no good reason..."

Um... did they? Are you sure?

3. Smallbrainfield
      WTF?

Hardly. They flew a rocket into it to determine from the impact if there was water ice under the surface of the moon at the poles.

I love the way disenfranchised Merkins always manage to shoehorn their grievances about President Obama into practically every thread on every forum on the internet ever. Like the other cunt would have been any better. Do grow up, there's a dear.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

erm...................

5. NukEvil
      FAIL

This is to everybody that has replied to the OP so far:

Whoooooosh...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I see your Whoooooosh

and raise a Poe.

9. wiggers
    FAIL

US solution to crime

Brush it under the carpet (= Hide it in the prison system and throw away the key)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/02/prisons-and-crime

This topic is closed for new posts.