back to article New slicker Shylock Trojan hooks into Skype

The Shylock banking Trojan has been revamped with extra features that allow the malware to spread using the chat function of Skype, the popular Voice over IP application. Shylock can now roam the Skype network thanks to a new propagating plugin called "msg.gsm". This component also adds functionality including the ability to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve K

Change the f*cking record

Change the f*cking record will you?

Oh wait - I'm a shill.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

I like not fair terms and a villain's mind

Previous versions (or configurations) of the malware hijacking live chat sessions in a bid to trick business banking customers into handing over their banking login credentials or into authorising fraudulent transactions.

It might be worthwhile for banks to outsource some human countermeasures. How amusing would it be to tie up the fraudsters' human resources with cheap labor from China from whom they ultimately get nothing or, better yet, are enticed into being traced and nabbed.

3. Herby

If Microsoft isn't bad...

...let them prove it. They can easily push out a fix rapidly and show the world+dog that they are "on top of this".

Me? I'm not holding my breath!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If Microsoft isn't bad...

This isnt a vulnerability in Skype for Microsoft to fix. Its using a 3rd party tool designed to perform certain functions - and then relying on gullible users to do the rest....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shylock is a strain of banking Trojan?

What platforms does this 'banking Trojan' run on?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

internet banking

more holes than a swiss cheese

6. GitMeMyShootinIrons

And they're stopping Messenger?

When Messenger goes, I think I'll give Skype a miss.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like