back to article Former CEO John Sculley: Apple must adapt or die

John Sculley, the former PepsiCo president who served as CEO of Apple during most of the 1980s and early 1990s, says that while Apple is "an extraordinary company," it has not done enough to adapt its products to suit emerging markets. In a video interview with Bloomberg on Monday, Scully – who is perhaps best known for a 1985 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. P. Lee

> a series of market missteps.

Did that include going for the mass market with clones and licensing?

Hmm.

2. Nanners

This is the same guy

who damn near wiped apple out right?

1. Steven Roper
      Devil

Re: This is the same guy

It's a pity he didn't. The whole tech world would have been a lot better off if he had.

1. Dave 126

>The whole tech world would have been a lot better off if he had [killed Apple]

So you don't think Windows benefited from having a competitor in various Mac OSs? Before you answer, remember MS was the company who stopped development on Internet Explorer when it thought it had quashed competing browsers.

1. Steven Roper

@Dave 126

That is as it may be, but also remember that Apple wasn't a serious market contender at the time when it would have mattered, namely the late 90s/ early 00s, which is what allowed Microsoft to entrench Internet Explorer as they did. Apple at the time was a tiny percentage of the IT market, primarily geared to the graphic design industry but little else. It was Mozilla and Google's combined efforts, along with a lot of pressure from a lot of pissed-off web devs, which broke that monopoly, not Apple.

The fact remains that Apple has done far more harm than good in recent years. They've created and popularised the walled garden, which every other market player now wants to emulate; established the paradigm that a computer you buy isn't really yours; systematically eroded openness and customisability in computing architecture; unleashed a ridiculous and litigious firestorm that has stifled innovation the world over and benefited nobody but a bunch of greedy patent lawyers. All of which more than counters for any putative benefits their presence as a competitive entity might have created.

1. Erwin SchrÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂöDinger
            Thumb Up

Re: @Dave 126

"They've created and popularised the walled garden, which every other market player now wants to emulate; established the paradigm that a computer you buy isn't really yours; systematically eroded openness and customisability in computing architecture; unleashed a ridiculous and litigious firestorm that has stifled innovation the world over and benefited nobody but a bunch of greedy patent lawyers."

Best argument I've read on el Reg for a very long time. Well done, sir. Apple may do many things well, but those you mention are a detriment to our industry. And we're here because we love this industry, right? Not because we hate it and want it to die, strangled by the likes of Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dave 126

The "walled garden" concept is not new, it's all part of this trusted computing idea that has been championed by Microsoft and Intel for years.

Games consoles are the ultimate in walled garden yet people buy those and don't complain.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steven Roper

> They've created and popularised the walled garden, which every other market player now wants to emulate; established the paradigm that a computer you buy isn't really yours; systematically eroded openness and customisability in computing architecture

IMo Apple is the last man standing in the old vertically integrated computing business model of the 1960s through 1980s. What you wrote above is almost exactly what IBM used to do in the bad old days, but now even IBM has eventually seen the light. However since the widely-cloned Apple II - and with the exception of the attempts at commoditisation that nearly killed Apple - the company has always operated that way.

The dilemma is that the ancient model is - other than the problems of cost and lockin - not at all bad for the customer if done right.

In the Microsoft-dominated world of today we have cheap equipment and moderately priced software but then all round the world IT departments spend a lot of time and money creating their own walled gardens to protect their customers from the undesirable side-effects of openness and interoperability.

Although Apple is not for me they have always done a fantastic job of making computing accessible to non-technical types and what I particularly envy is the absence of a forced-upgrade treadmill.

1. imaginarynumber

"Although Apple is not for me they have always done a fantastic job of making computing accessible to non-technical types"

Apple's dumbing down of computing isn't necessarily a good thing.

1. sabroni Silver badge

"making computing accessible" != "dumbing down"

1. turnip handler

"making computing accessible" != "dumbing down"

Absolutly agree - but it's a shame that it comes at such a high price. Accessible to me includes those that don't have £1,000's to spend on a machine.

Licensing the Apple OS would go a long way to making computing accessible.

1. William Donelson

No one ever considers the extraordinary resale value of Macs.

I sold an 8 year old Mac on eBay for $550, half the cost of a new MacMini.

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Don't you mean "vulnerable" not "accessible" ;)

2. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

While I tend to agree about the end result of making stuff accessible, I think we need to be very much aware of _how_ they do it: eliminate choice and variety.

When done well, this strategy can be very effective, but fundamentally the price we pay is not really much different from the price we worry about when e.g. Microsoft or Oracle eliminate (market) alternatives.

I think you're right, though, that the walled garden is what every vendor has wanted since the invention of the computer, as in sole-sourced platforms, leased software, continuing revenue streams. And while IT departments do indeed create their own walled enclosures, they do it in the knowledge that they control it, and I don't know of any vendor that they totally trust!

I have to say, though, that I'm puzzled by the "forced-upgrade" remark. In my experience, Macs and PCs behave similarly in terms of patches, and let's not forget quite how screwed you may feel these days if you invested a lot of money in PowerPC software...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steven Roper (forced upgrade)

Good question Malcolm... my take is that because the profit of a pure software vendor comes from software sales, SW vendors have to sell us the same stuff over and over again (OK in PC-vs-Mac Apple have the privilege of being a small player so they have the option of growing their business by getting new customers rather than milking their existing customer base). That means that every 3 years Microsoft (for example) comes out with a new OS (and it seems like every 6 years a jarringly different UI). It's designed to make previous versions look obsolete, much like American cars of the 1950s and 1960s. Thus novelty gets priority over stability. (and in my career as a dev, I've known the feeling of fighting for time to improve the software quality in the face of marketing demands for new features).

The Old-school model (and here I'll take a non-Apple example, the HP 3000 series) has a reputation that stands or falls on the quality of the system as a whole. Every 3 years the HP salesmen would come offering us *more power* with minumum user-visible change - though in the HP 3000 world there was similar pain with an architectural transition.

I'd say like the long-gone HP of Bill and Dave, Apple aims to make products for the long run where the customer can quite happily use a machine with the OS it came with, for 8 years, and without any maintenance or reinstallation whatsoever.

Whereas in the PC world there is still too much of "new shiny - don't think about the bugs - new shiny". Of course Apple have now provided a handy counterexample in the form of the Maps debacle...

Since Apple *have* obtained such a huge market share in mobile, I wonder if they will start inventing ways of milking their existing customer base...)

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Re: @Steven Roper (forced upgrade)

Ah, I get what you're saying. I think it depends very much on the set of users; I have large numbers that are on XP and/or Office 2003, and see no reason to change, even though the end-of-the-road is fast approaching for XP.

"You've got to upgrade!"

"Why?"

"Microsoft is ending all support for XP, including security patches".

"Good. I never liked those updates they kept sending."

2. Mark .

True - though I can't help wondering that the same comment made for MS would have been voted up a lot more (by the same argument, I like having an alternative that isn't Apple; and more generally, it's nice having more than two choices).

2. Tim99 Silver badge
        WTF?

Yes, we could all still be using floppy disks...

3. envmod

badass. over there.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh yes, that would have been great. Microsoft with an even higher market share, they would have behaved properly and not taken advantage of that situation would they? (duh).

Contrary to what Google will tell you the computer and phone business is still largely a Microsoft and Apple competition. Google just add obvious or pointless gimmicks to their phones, the rest is as old as the hills, icon grids and GUIs.

3. James Gibbons
    Thumb Down

So now the idiot

who almost run them into the ground before Jobs came back thinks they will listen to him? Perhaps when Elop is fired from Nokia, they can hire him as the new Apple CEO to take them into future markets. What a bunch of bull!

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: So now the idiot

Listening to John Sculley talk about Apple's strategy is like listening to Richard Nixon talk about ethics.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Listening to John Sculley talk about Apple's strategy is like listening to Richard Nixon talk about ethics.

I beg to differ- I would enjoy listening to Tricky Dicky chat about ethics.

2. big_D Silver badge
      Coat

"Perhaps when Elop is fired from Nokia, they can hire him as the new Apple CEO to take them into future markets. "

An iPhone with Windows Phone 8... Well, it is a start. :-P

3. Piro Silver badge

Yeah. I was thinking this. He got rid of the guy who saved the company in the end. So his opinion is worthless..

But hey, it doesn't seem to matter how useless you are once you get to CEO level, because it seems to go roughly like this: "Hey, you lost X billions of dollars? Never mind, have a few million this year anyway"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Dapprman

@ Piro

Don't let rose tinted glasses confuse you. Sure Saint Steve saved Apple on his return, however part of Scully's problems were down to the fact he was trying to run a fractured company with nervous paranoid workers, all of which was down to the way Steve Jobs ran things in the first place.

(now without poor grammer and spelling mistakes of the last two attempts ... I hope)

4. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Worthless? Hardly.

He knows a vast amount more about Apple than any of us do, INCLUDING what didn't work, what Jobs did right and less-right (obvs Saint Steve never did anything _wrong_, just less right).

Worth remembering, fanbois, that Sculley championed the Newton, which Jobs killed, and then trumpeted the glory of the iPhone. It is obviously heresy to suggest that Saint Steve might have realized that extremely portable digital organizer-type things do, in fact, have a market.

Also worth remembering is that Sculley, not Jobs, was the one that established Apple as a premium brand (by adding 25% to the price of the first Mac).

Sure, I wouldn't think he's the guy to run Apple, but his knowledge -- even if just his knowledge of what doesn't work -- is worth millions more than the Piro's!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why does everyone assume there are only two smartphone price points?

He compares $500 and $100. Those are very different. Apple cannot create a $100 iPhone. There are $100 Android phones, but no one carrying a GS3 or other high end Android phone would consider it to be a smartphone.

What's wrong with a $300 price point? Still less than half the price of an iPhone 5, and $150 less than an unsubsidized two year old iPhone 4, but something that could still be an iPhone. Apple doesn't need to compete for market share in the $100 device segment. That segment is without value for anyone except maybe Google (they can still deliver ads to these guys) The owners of these bottom end phones aren't going to spend enough money on apps to become "sticky" to the Android ecosystem if/when they're able to afford a more expensive phone in the future. Most will still be a customer only for low end phones a decade from now. No one is going to make money off them, and Apple loses nothing except meaningless market share by ignoring them.

1. Dave 126
      Thumb Up

Re: Why does everyone assume there are only two smartphone price points?

>What's wrong with a $300 price point?

That it might eat into the sales of their iPhone 4 (with its higher margins) is a possible reason, plus the less immediate cost in terms of their image. If the $300 device is too clunky, ugly or feature-limited, it might put buyers off considering another iPhone in the future. True, Samsung have phones from £10 to £400 (though use 'Galaxy as a sub-brand for the pricer ones), but Apple benefit from keeping their message simple- as demonstrated by my dad pointing at any touch-screened phone and asking "Is that an iPhone?"

1. Mark .

But if your Dad does that with _any_ phone, it's clear that this hasn't happened because of Apple only having a few simple models, otherwise he'd only be doing it for those simple models. Rather he's been misled to believe that anything is an iphone, even when he has no clue what they actually look like.

The obvious blame is the vast amounts of media coverage that the platform got, when it's never been number one. Had Samsung (who actually deserve it, being number one) got that coverage, he'd be asking if it was a Galaxy. (Well, there's also this odd effect where for some reason, people always refer to Apple by brandnames - "posted on my iphone" etc - whilst everyone else almost always uses a generic term - "phone" etc.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That cheaper end mass market share is absolutely relevant to those who will survive and prosper in it.

Those would be the ones *without* gigantic unnecessary overhead and historical baggage.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

> Apple cannot create a $100 iPhone.

Oh, I'm sure they can, but would anyone buy it? It would be like a $5000 BMW, or a $200 Armani suit. Fashion accessories are only worth buying when everyone else can see that they're expensive.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>. Fashion accessories are only worth buying when everyone else can see that they're expensive

But these are only going to be sold in India and China. Do you want to sell a couple of $1000 phones to a few expats and millionaires kids, or do you want to sell 100million $250 phones to the new middle class?

The nice thing about cell phones is that you can ensure that they aren't imported back to the home market to devalue the brand

There is such a thing as being too high-end, people buy BMW and Armani because they can't afford Bentley and Saville row

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simply because on the network subsidised model there's not such a difference between the bundled cost.

Take a UK contract, your base price for any acceptable featurephone handset is probably fifteen quid a month with a reasonable allowance for voice and data. So that's what my son's Galaxy Ace is costing. For twenty three quid a month (same network, slightly better allowances) I have a Galaxy S2 (bought when that was top of the line). For most people, finding seven or eight quid a month extra for a top of the line handset isn't impossible. Over a two year contract that's about £200 difference, but it never feels like that.

That's why there's so few mid market handsets, because you'd only ever buy one if you weren't the person using it!

1. Dapprman

@Ledswinger

Except very few countries follow the subsidised phone market - we do well out of it in the UK

5. Mark .

I'd consider them smartphones (as a Nexus owner). Obviously not as good - but I don't get this idea of labelling them differently just because of that. A £400 laptop isn't as good as my £1500 laptop, but that doesn't mean I don't consider it a laptop. It is, by definition.

"Smartphone" has always been a terribly ill-defined name, and I don't understand why people and the media are so keen to restrict its definition to only some devices; it's pretty much just a marketing term, so if something is marketed as a smartphone, it's a smartphone. The original iphone couldn't even run apps...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see no problem with premium iTurds.

And that is why I don't buy them. A Benz on the other hand actually has more useful value, not just image value, over a Hyndai. However, there is no problem with tech brand names. The same morons who give Louis Viton and Gucci (spelling?) all their money will give Apple their money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I see no problem with premium iTurds.

Have a look for some data re Apple's reliability and resale value (Merc's reputed virtues) and see if your comment needs any revision...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And for both of you, if you think Hyundai hasn't made anything new or bigger or shinier since the 1980s, I can assure you M-B knows otherwise (as do Honda, Toyota, VW and the rest).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yup. We're looking at a new car right now - Hyundai is right at the top of the list.

2. Mark .

No one cares about resale values of tech products - and those that keep their value only do so as there isn't newer stuff coming out to push prices of the older generations down. Amigas have great resale value, but I'm not sure that's much an argument.

As for reliabilty, this is the company that everyone says it's good, because you can take it back to the shop to get it repaired.

6. Eddy Ito

Seems fair

To be fair the guy certainly knows how to turn a company around. Granted his experience is mostly in wrong turns but hey why split hairs. Perhaps Carly Fiorina will be next to chime in to help "save" Apple from poor leadership.

7. Dave 126

Apple never reduced the price of the iPod to compete with rivals, but instead released the iPhone. Sculley hasn't considered the possibility of Apple entering a new (and thus growing) product category... what that might be I have no idea, and if anyone does have a good idea then they obviously will keep it close to their chest.

It might be that such a product category won't exist (we're pretty sorted for AV gadgets), or that another company has enough R&D cash and commitment to get there first.

No commentard has yet made a very strong case for Apple being able to get enough margin from selling a TV set plus gubbins (or at least why it couldn't be an external box) but that doesn't mean Apple don't know something we don't- or are at least putting in a lot of money into trying to find a compelling reason.

We pundits get it wrong (as can CEOs) as shown by Wired's late ninetoes article "Ten things Apple must do to survive"... Apple didn't follow their advice. Engadget wrote an open letter to a pre-Pre Palm and received a letter back to the effect of 'Thanks, good points, we have it hand' and certainly Palm made a good effort of it with the Pre.

1. Dave 126

ooops

"ninetoes article" is a typo, and has nothing to do with mowing the lawn in sandals.

1. Raumkraut

Re: ooops

Ah, for a minute I thought Wired had once hired a Morrowind character to write articles.

2. Steve Todd
      Stop

@Dave

They did however introduce a range of smaller, cheaper iPods. They've already done that with the iPad, no reason to think they can't do something similar with the iPhone.

1. Dave 126

Re: @Dave

>They did however introduce a range of smaller, cheaper iPods.

Very true, but rather than cannibalise sales from the iPod 'Classic', smaller players can complement it. The iPod may already have have docks etc, and use the Classic for the car or lounge, the Nano for the gym or journey to work. In any case, the technology changed- Flash players are now cheap and have far bigger capacities than the earlier HDD-based iPods. Only Apple, Archos and Cowon make HDD-based players these days, with the Archos not pocket sized.

>They've already done that with the iPad, no reason to think they can't do something similar with the iPhone.

Judging by the cost of the iPad Mini, they have margin enough on it. Again, big iPad for the sofa, iPad Mini for the car glovebox or handbag, or for those who won't stretch to £500 for a toy.

Both the iPod 'Classic' and big iPad are too heavy or big for all situations... thus leaving a convenient gap for a baby brother or two. The same isn't true of a phone, which has got to be portable and suitable for all but the most niche of activities (outdoor expeditions, for example, where weatherproofing and battery life are of prime importance)

I have considered the need for a smartphone if one always has a smallish tablet to hand; a dumbphone + tablet combo has a lot to recommend it (long phone battery life, low cost of phone replacement if lost, internet functions easier on a tablet by virtue of its size) but I can't imagine Apple making an dumbphone- an iPhone that doesn't do apps would reduce the clarity of their message.

Rather than spend money on a creating, testing, tooling up for and then communicating the benefits of a new iPhone design, its more efficient for Apple to just continue selling the previous version alongside the latest and priciest.

8. A n o n y m o u s

"Owing to his poor performance at Apple, Condé Nast Portfolio and Business Insider have both included Sculley on their lists of the worst American CEOs of all time."

Perhaps anything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt or even a heavy dollop of jealousy?

9. jai
    FAIL

>"widely criticized for lacking the technical background to understand what made Apple's products tick"

So has this changed in the last 20 years and he's suddenly the know it all of the tech industry? Or does he still not have a clue?

I'd think that being best known as the idiot that almost ran the company into the ground, that the only advice to take from this interview is to do the exact opposite of whatever he suggests

10. Bob Vistakin
    Holmes

"Your ruining it wrong"

FTFY

11. bolts25

How would Sculley know?

Sculley worked a Pepsi. A commodity product in a two horse race. It was a mistake to hire him into Apple in the first instance; and that has been proven.

Just because he is a past failed CEO of Apple, why does anyone show the slightest interest in his opinions? He has demonstrated he has no idea how to run Apple - he made too many mistakes.

Why would his recommendations be any better now?

This article is a waste of pixels.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How would Sculley know?

>This article is a waste of pixels.

I don't know, it raised a wry smile or two. Besides, you didn't have to click on the link!

12. snafu

Sculley

"…who is perhaps best known for a 1985 coup in which he ousted Apple cofounder Steve Jobs…"

Er, no: actually, he survived Jobs' attempt at a coup, then relegated him to a corner by his underperformance, and finally let him get out to build NeXT and drive it to the ground while Apple went through a stage of splendor before its decline.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sculley

wow, I didn't know there was a North Korean history of computing... I wouldn't mind seeing some longer extracts...

2. Steve Todd
      Stop

Jobs was definitely pushed rather than jumped. NeXT wasn't a commercial success, but then neither was it run into the ground. It became the basis of OS X and iOS, so the worst you could say was that it was a technology ahead of its time. Meanwhile,he also ran Pixar, which has been insanely successful and made him one of the biggest shareholders of Disney when he sold it to them.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Dapprman
        FAIL

Re: Sculley @ Steve Todd

Depends who's version of history you follow. In his semi-biography he was pushed, in Pirates of Silicon Valley (which was considered near canon at the time) he tried a coup on John Scully which failed and then was forced out.

Also Pixar is a very bad example as John Lasseter pointed out their success was because they rarely sawe Steve and as long as they used his NeXT boxes he cared little. Supposedly he visited the Pixar offies less than once a year and never gave input.

3. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Careful... OSX and iOS are based on BSD, not Mach. It certainly true that "something Unix-like" unites the two, but to the ancestry of OSX/iOS don't go through NeXT.

13. Martin Pittaway

Sculley the Bully

He should go back to Pepsi. Look at how well CokaCola did under his reign. What he knows about business strategy where Apple is concerned is why Jobs was returned to the fold.

14. Andrew Baines Silver badge
    FAIL

Mercedes & BMW

Haven't noticed Mercedes and BMW having a problem in developing markets.

I'm not an Apple fan, but there's nothing wrong with only selling premium products.

15. JD Ross

Apple uses the same hard drives, video cards, memory RAM, used by PC, but...

It's for Apple to decide, but;

"there's no way Apple will be able to gain a foothold in the developing world as long as its products are priced like luxury items"

This true NOT only for developing world, but also for the rest of the world market. Apple uses the same hard drives, video cards, memory RAM, internet adapters and many more components used by PC, but Apple's price is much higher, sometimes 50% higher than the same part for PC. This is bad for business for long run, immoral and cannot last for much longer. People will eventually come to their sense and "vote with their wallets".

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Try comparing like with like

PCs built to the same spec are normally similar in price to Apple kit, and sometimes MORE expensive. Take a look at the Ultrabook market for example. Where are all the Ultrabooks that are significantly cheaper than a MacBook Air without cutting corners (like using spinning rust rather than flash)

1. Dapprman

Re: Try comparing like with like

Damn want to argue with Steve Todd, but he is right. As much as I see Apple products as expensive, they are actually competitvely spec'ed with their rival offerings.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Umm, facts would seem to be against this propaganda, at least at some feature levels.

Consider a HP Spectre XT Ultrabook 13-2150nr, which I can buy for $900. The CPU is the 1.7/2.6GHz i5-3317U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 3.07lbs and 12.44 x 8.8 x 0.69 in.

The equivalent Apple is a 13in Macbook Air. CPU is the marginally faster 1.8/2.8GHz i5-3427U, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.96lbs and 12.8 x 8.94 x 0.68in. It costs $1200.

So for an extra 33%/$300 you get something that has a CPU that is maybe 13% faster (obviously, that doesn't translate into a 13% faster system, because everything else is the same), is 0.01" thinner, and weighs 2ozs less.

Hmmm... not _terribly_ good value for money, is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Malcolm - the HP Spectre XT has a 1366x768 netbook display resolution and 5 hour battery. The MacBook Air has 1440x900 (16:10, a good bit more useful than 16:9), 7 hours battery. Still doesn't seem a lot extra for $200, but then it's amazing what PC vendors like to charge for a small bump in resolution.

Since I'm from the longhaired smelly side of the computering world I wouldn't be seen dead with a Mac, but must agree with the OP that like-for-like PC alternatives seem to end up in the same price bracket.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Then add in support.

For an extra $300 Dell will add next day support where they will send a 3rd party technician out to replace some random part of your laptop (often even the correct part). If anything else doesn't work they will just blame MSFT.

Included in the price of the Mac is walk into a Mac store anywhere in the world and people who, even if they aren't actually geniuses, do at least know about Macs - will fix it or swap it.

2. Dana W
            Happy

A Mac instead of a netbook $300 more dollars. Not having any Microsoft software, priceless.

2. Danvighar
        Paris Hilton

Regarding Apple prices...

They must have adjusted their prices in the last few years. Last time I tried to spec a Dell laptop vs a... Macbook? Powerbook?, getting each part as close as possible in capabilities as the respective site allowed, a slightly more powerful Dell was cheaper by about 50%. This was back before SSDs took off massively, mind.

16. JD Ross
    Happy

"This article is a waste of pixels." - really ?

You don't have to be a cow to discus about the quality of milk...-;) In recent years Apple has been more lucky then others in IT industry and quite inventive, however NOTHING last for ever, even Apple. I like my iMac but it's performance, build and specification doesn't justify the price comparing it with MS Windows.

1. Marvin the Martian
      WTF?

Re: "This article is a waste of pixels." - really ?

You don't have to be a cow to discuss milk, but it sure helps to be at least a mammal.

Here you get a snake talking, and not a particularly knowledgeable or intelligent one.

17. MCROnline

Another option.

If Apple really did want to get into the lower end of the market, there is no reason why they couldn't do so under another brand name, maybe another fruit, sub-licensing the iPhone trademark and selling the cheap phone without damaging their premium brand.

Companies do it all the time.

1. DJO Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Another option.

"another brand name, maybe another fruit"

The Durian would be the perfect fruit for this.

2. Marvin the Martian
      Linux

I think "Blackberry" would be such a fruit

1. Anonymous Custard

Or perhaps Lemon?

18. John 62

emerging markets

Obviously there is a lot of growth potential for Apple to sell iPads to africa, Brazil, Vietnam, etc, but that misses the point of how Apple has defined emerging markets since they introduced the iPod. Apple doesn't see emerging markets as Laos, Tajikistan, Bolivia, etc, Apple defines emerging markets by the type of device. MP3 players were an emerging market, smartphones were an emerging market, tablets were an emerging market. Why sell cheap low margin goods to poor countries, when you can wait for them to develop to be rich enough to buy your high margin goods? The risk with this strategy, though, is that very few companies can consistently create and/or dominate emerging markets.

19. Silverburn
    Facepalm

I could be a CEO

...if his comments are anything to go by:

- Developed world approaching saturation. No shit!

- Emerging markets are where it's at. No shit!

- Emerging markets can't afford Developed World prices. No shit!

- To sell in the emerging markets, you need to sell at prices they can afford. No shit!

Just stunning. And he got paid how much?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be a slow news day if the senile ramblings of drooling has-been failed CEOs are occupying column space.

21. dr2chase
    Happy

Is HP looking for a new CEO?

I know just the guy for the job.

22. henrydddd

What?

"The big shift as we go from $500 smartphones to even as low – for some companies – as $100 for a smartphone, you've got to dramatically rethink the supply chain and how you can build these products and do it profitably," Sculley said"

How can you get any cheaper than using the slave labor at Foxconn? According to MSN Money, the Iphone 5 costs Apple between $207 and $238 to make. They sell the Iphone 5 with 16GB for $649 making a cool $442 profit off of each unit. Or, in other words, they make about 200 percent profit. I can give them a suggestion if they want to sell their Iproducts cheaper, but something tells me they won't listen

ref:

http://money.msn.com/technology-investment/post.aspx?post=c2739b74-68c7-4480-aa9d-7d66322e7e5a

23. Gil Grissum
    Thumb Down

Advice from one of the worst CEOs of all time?

Yea,

Keep that advice, Scully. As one of the worst CEO's of all time, you're not fit to advise any company on how to achieve anything when you couldn't do so yourself, accept achieving wealth at the expense of the company you mismanaged.

24. dssf

Here is what Apple will do: Credit Plans...

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Apple-pioneers-installment-plans-in-China-4200804.php

Apple will NOT likely lower prices, since to them that would devalue the upscaleness or premium branding. factors they see around their existence. More likely, Apple will make even MORE money, from earning interest income. And, since it will be offshore, probably it will pay lower taxes if it can find a way to Statesside "administer" the financing and administrative overrhead" while keeping the money in some offshore account. My assumptions in this para, though.

Anyway, from the article...

"Apple pioneers installment plans in China"

""Apple has introduced installment payment plans for buyers of iPhones and MacBook laptops in China as it struggles to compete with low-cost devices in the world's largest computer and mobile-phone market.

Payments on purchases costing from $48 to $4,800 made via the company's Chinese website can be spread over as long as two years, according to the site. The plan, which requires a China Merchants Bank Co. credit card, has fees ranging from zero to 8.5 percent.

Apple is trying to make its products more affordable in China after being surpassed by local suppliers such as ZTE Corp. and Lenovo Group Ltd. in the smartphone market. The iPhone 5, released in China last month, is priced at $850 on Apple's local site, equal to about six weeks' pay for the average urban worker.

"There is an enormous mid-range consumer market that they are not tapping into," said Mark Natkin, managing director of Marbridge Consulting, a Beijing market research firm. "They're trying to figure out how to make products more accessible to that market segment. This is a good step in that direction."

More at the URL

25. Dana W
    Meh

Having Scully talk about how to run Apple is like getting Keith Richards to do your anti-drug PSA

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like