back to article Facebook shoves biz pal Microsoft aside, unzips new Graph Search

Facebook took a major step away from Microsoft on Tuesday by confirming it had built a search product for its network without any involvement from its Redmondian biz partner, which has a $240m stake in Mark Zuckerberg's ad empire. While it remains the case that Microsoft's Bing continues to power web search on Facebook, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ru
    Trollface

honour the privacy of folks sharing content on Facebook

Google are exactly the sort of people to honour Facebook users' privacy as much as (if not more than!) Facebook itself.

1. LarsG
      Meh

Has the share price dropped now that the announcement has been made.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook has a web search?

1. deadlockvictim

For may, Facebook IS the web

I believe the answer is yes and no. It relies on Bing for info it doens't have itself.

3. Fuzz

first thing on the list to do

If facebook want people to use their search then probably the first thing on the list is to make the search box on the site look more like a search box. At the moment the box is slightly reminiscent of the interior of a Hotblack Desiato stunt ship.

4. The BigYin

Do I understand things correctly?

Now I can ask my friends without needing to ask my friends?

Is it just me, or is Facebook trying to drive a wedge into norma human interactions. A wedge it can then copyright, patent and monetise.

I knew there was a reason I didn't have a Facebook account. I have this quaint habit of talking to people.

5. Mystic Megabyte
    Stop

What could possibly go wrong?

If I were a parent of young children I would be very worried.

When I mention trackers to Joe Public I get a "what are those?" response.

Capitalism is out of control!

Sorry for the three disparate thoughts that came to mind, but the future looks bleak.

1. roselan
      Paris Hilton

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

don't worry, the future looks bleak for the past ten thousands years...

6. Lusty
    FAIL

WTF?

"11:00am "What was Microsoft's role?" El Reg asks. Lars says they worked closely with the Bing team. Zuckerberg says Facebook has a great partnership with Redmond – but Graph Search is not web search, and he wants to do more"

Sweet, a new low for quality on the Reg. Two articles saying opposite things within 24 hours.

7. Phoenix50
    Stop

Only on this site...

...could an article about Facebook's new "Graph Search" be turned into an "anti-Microsoft angle". If anyone should be worried, it's Google - let's not kid ourselves into thinking otherwise.

If Bing suggestions for "Restaurants near my friends" are presented below the Facebook results and people are clicking on those suggestions - then that's a result for Bing, it doesn't matter where the query originated.

Google on the other hand has to sit outside and look in through the Window (pun intended) - which at the moment, is taped-up with a bin liner.

1. The BigYin

Re: Only on this site...

Anti-MS? El Reg is as pro-MS as they come.

Apart from the bits that aren't.

Summary: They get the balance about right.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

You owe me a new keyboard ... bitch

"as long as the companies are willing to honour the privacy of folks sharing content on Facebook, we'll work with them."

Yeah, right - dry that one out and you could fertilise the Sahara.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course, given FB's depressed stock price, the Chocolate Factory could just buy it and be done. Kicking Zuck to the curb would be worth the 65 billion.

Also, has no one else noticed there has not been an Assange story in over a week. Is he well?

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
      Happy

Well, if you're suffering from Assange Withdrawal Syndrome, it looks like his mum has taken up the cudgel ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/14/julian-assange-mother-christine-feminist-rant-oxford-uni-protest_n_2470926.html

HTH.

"Man's timid heart is bursting with the things he must not say,

For the Woman that God gave him isn't his to give away;

But when hunter meets with husbands, each confirms the other's tale— "

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is "Facebook"?

1. Elmer Phud

I've got one but it doesn't have any of these 'pillar' thingies.

2. Wibble

It's something to make AdBlock easier; *facebook*

3. Amorous Cowherder
      Happy

It's like an online secret diary for all your precious thoughts and memories....that everyone in the whole wide world can simply sign up to read when they feel like it!

1. SunnyFrimley
        Facepalm

No they can't, unless you are a twat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like