back to article Long-delayed Fedora Linux 18 arrives at last

The latest version of the popular Fedora Linux distribution has finally been released, just one week later than the already-delayed ship date that was announced in November. Fedora 18, codenamed "Spherical Cow" by its developers, was originally due to arrive on November 6, but a number of thorny problems caused the final …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marshalltown
    Pint

Plainly

While the cow was spherical, it was clearly not frictionless.

First, I think

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

How now, spherical cow?

> Long-delayed Fedora Linux 18 arrives at last

Hell yeah. But this clearly is somehow connected to that psychologist's "Internet Causes Mania" warning, I can't put my finger on it though.

> On the minus side, the default desktop for Fedora 18 is GNOME 3.6

KDE spin, then! Although my liberal side is dismayed at all the good work on Gnome that will be of no use for me, my Hobbesian side rejoices.

3. Chavdar Ivanov

Updates...

Default installation under VirtualBox. 'yum update' gest some 260MB straight...

4. southpacificpom
    Devil

Spherical Cow?, well burger me...

1. Ian McNee
      Boffin

Certainly sir...

...would you like a little horse with that?

5. Anomalous Cowturd
    Linux

Too bleeding edge for me...

I have toyed with Fedora a few times, but it is just too bleeding edge for my tastes.

Centos 6.3 on servers. (And some clients with Gnome 2) 5 year support FTW! 10 years at a push.

Ubuntu Mint or Mint Debian Edition with Mate or Cinnamon DE for most home users. I used to be a big Ubuntu fan, even an evangelist, but they fucked up big time with Unity for me. I personally stopped system upgrading at 10.04.

Fedora fans, strap yourselves in, and fill your boots!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Vic

Re: Too bleeding edge for me...

> toyed with Fedora a few times, but it is just too bleeding edge for my tastes.

I've found it's a really good get-out-of-jail-free disty.

I carry a bootable F14 stick. It's stable enough , boots on just about anything, and there are plenty of goodies not available in the RHEL or EPEL repos.

Vic.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Meanwhile - at a conference room in Raleigh, North Carolina...

CEO: "OMG! The market just doesn't take us SERIOUS!!"

Dir of Marketing: "I know what we should do - let's call our next community release 'Spherical Cow'".

CEO: "Yeah! All my BFF's are like totally into red meat this week. I'm going to text everyone right now..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile - at a conference room in Raleigh, North Carolina...

The only other OS with a bovine name I could think of was Longhorn. But no, a quick search brings up 'Beefy Miracle', and of course a Gnu is also an ungulate.

1. Anonymous Custard

And they release it on the same day that Tesco's suppliers are found to be including horsemeat and pig in their beef supplies...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Thumb Up

MULTIMEAT!

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Linux

Cinnamon is all very well

but on the 18 beta - played with a week or so ago - there were still significant differences between the Mint 14 Cinnamon and F18b Cinnamon desktops. I'm probably biased, but I feel that the Mint version is the more, um, complete, somehow experience. It's hard to put a finger on it, but Mint does feel a very well integrated desktop; things just work (with, for some reason, the slight problem that the video system wakes up with the backlight turned off!)

1. Bill Neal
      Linux

Re: Cinnamon is all very well

includes the alternative MATE and Cinnamon desktops...on the DVD I assume. there doesn't seem to be a live image using MATE. Mint and CentOS have been good enough for me depending on application. For desktops & portables Mint does seem to just work with more WiFi adapters. I'm still glad to see more features added to Fedora, but why can they keep up to date on drivers?

8. Bill the Sys Admin
    Thumb Up

The introduction of MATE s great. I use it on Ubuntu, its back to the good old days of gnome2. I really cant stand Unity or Gnome3 .They are all going for the touchy look and feel like metro in my opinion.

9. Thecowking
    Trollface

Cinnamon is all very good

But as we know in Britain, if you want to add anything to a cow, it's horse that you should be looking for.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've heard a rumour that Windows 9 is codenamed 'Dead Meat'

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems fishy to me

Blessed by Microsoft, locked kernel, this can't be good for what we call free and open source software.

Although it is a fine and modern distro, I strongly resent their decision to give up fighting against UEFI secure boot. By doing this, they legitimize Microsoft power grab on PC hardware with dire consequences for the few of us who would have preferred to be in control of their computer.

This is the first day of a sad new era.

12. Pat 4

Gnome???

I can't, for the life of me, understand why Gnome 3 still even ships with any distro.

It's unuseable... almost worse than Window 8

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gnome???

Actually once I get to start the terminal, I'm no longer bothered by Gnome 3. Unless of course I need to open a second and a third terminal window and to conveniently switch from one to another. This is when Gnome 3 gets back its revenge on me for thinking I could ignore its presence. Damn it!

2. ParsleyTheLion
      Happy

Use fallback mode - it's very straightforward, resembles Gnome 2 and has been rock solid for me for a year now.

(System Settings -> System Info -> Graphics -> Forced Fallback Mode ON)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

I think that fallback mode has been removed from Gnome 3.6, BICBW.

Personally I find that Gnome 3.x plus various extensions is entirely suitable for my use. That may not be the case for all.

1. Bill the Sys Admin
          Unhappy

You are indeed correct its now gone from 3.6

13. Paul Johnston

Late!

Always seems a "damned if you, do damned if you don't" situation re the delaying a release.

I'd rather something was a couple of weeks late if it removes some of the "bleeding edge" issues.

However I do think having a release every 6 months is just silly

I just got:

Fedora 16 will reach end of life on 2013-02-12, and no further updates will be pushed out after that time. Additionally, with the recent release of Fedora 18, no new packages will be added to the Fedora 16 collection.

Which is great as I've just moved some machines from 16 to 17 earlier this year (bloody php 5.3.* to 5.4.* broke a couple of WordPresses).

Think Centos is the way for me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like