back to article Microsoft control freaks Server 2012 clouds with System Center SP1

Redmond is pushing out a Service Pack 1 update to System Center to get all of the functionality it has been talking about out the door. It was only last September when Windows Server 2012 was launched with much fanfare and the combination of System Center 2012, Microsoft's server and hypervisor control freak, was billed as " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Meh

It's all about the workflow

After using SCOM 2012 for a little while, I appreciate its power, but the workflow is still extremely awkward and inflexible. If Microsoft have made it possible to do hypervisor and VM management with the same ease and simplicity of vSphere, then this might be interesting. Any other commentards care to weigh in?

Also, in before Eadon's bitching and moaning about the evil of Microsoft and how there's some OSS version that is faster, cheaper, and more stable, and which will simultaneously ease all your virtualization woes while massaging your prostate.

1. Lusty

Re: It's all about the workflow

Microsoft are not really trying to make the workflow great because the idea is that you only use the Service Manager GUI to run Orchestrator run books. If you're manually doing things to VMs then (in their world) you're doing it wrong. It's not what I'd call hard to use but it's harder than VMware. For the cost difference though, many of our customers are finding the harder interface worth it.

Also look at the cloud integration pack from MS which contains sample runbooks to help you get it all initially set up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm a VMware ESXi user, I'm tempted to setup my VMs at home on top of Hyper-V (I've got technet, so I get everything legitimately included in the price) The one thing that puts me off Hyper-v is the lack of USB port forwarding, which I need for my MythTV backend VM. However, I would possibly overlook this (maybe get some hardware solution, unknown as yet) if the console for the Hyper-v server were a damn site faster than the VMware console. Any comments?

1. Lusty

Most people (enterprise wise) don't need USB hence the low priority from MS. They will add it in time but like with VMware it will be slow coming. Most people also don't use the console as RDP is quicker and better featured. You may find that the Windows 8 "consumer" oriented Hyper-V will kick things like this off a bit quicker but I suspect Enterprise use will still be the main driver.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, I tend to agree - the only enterprise use for USB I can think of is hardware locked products.

When I said console, I was more meaning the configuration and monitoring console, rather than a console onto the target VM.

1. Lusty

Ah, in that case, speed is irrelevant as the best benefit is Microsoft won't insist you use Flash! It is faster though :)

2. Bill the Sys Admin
    Pint

Probably the only reason to go MS - Integration

That is what they do best, making their products work very very well with each other. I just find whenever you want to use one of their products for the best experience need another one..and so on. But looks like they have brought something out that can compete with Openstack, for creating your own cloud. I probably wont be seeing much of this myself in current job but looks forward to hearing about it actually being used in production.

I also agree with the top comment the system center is more complicated than VMWare but extremely powerful. I have used both.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like