back to article BT's shock new wheeze: Make phone calls from smartphones

BT customers can now make calls over the internet from a smartphone app and have the cost added to their landline bill. The national telco's SmartTalk service is available for iOS and Android, and lets a landline customer register up to four users who can make calls that are added to that landline's bill, or deducted from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MrXavia
    FAIL

Outgoing only??? WTF is with that?

Who in their right mind would use a BT app for VOIP at their prices?

I have a voip provider, I can receive and make calls wherever I have a net connection on my phone for a fraction of the price BT charge.. .yes it would be nice to receive calls to my landline number on my mobile, but you still won't make me call using it!

1. Test Man
      Stop

Bully for you for having a VOIP provider. Clearly this is not for you. This is for the people who actually have BT landlines with free minutes and other free or cheap services who can't make use of it when on the move... until now. It's especially suited for people who are abroad and don't want to be gouged by roaming prices or their hotel prices.

It's limited to certain use cases but for those use cases it's better than nothing.

1. MrXavia
        Thumb Down

@Test Man

The big issues it no receiving calls, second is the prices....

So its a low level service compared to what one of many online VOIP providers can do now..

1. Test Man
          Stop

Re: @Test Man

MrXavia - yep, but the point is not to be a full VOIP solution, obviously. It's aimed at people who are already on BT and would like the ability to use their already-existing calling plan outside of their home. Other VOIP solutions can be too fiddly to set up and use when certain people can simply download this for free and call for free.

2. Bill the Sys Admin
      Thumb Down

Having incoming would be geat.

With phones i really want a service like google voice/talk not sure what its called properly as its in america and not offered in the UK. It ties everything to once number which you can answer on your PC, laptop phone etc. The dream everything in one place.

1. Andrew Lobban

@ Bill the Sys Admin

I've often thought that Apple would have already done this as well.

For example, if i receive a facetime call, whether the caller has called, in my case, 1 of 4 possible email addresses or my mobile number, i can answer that call on my mobile, my laptop or my ipad. It works flawlessly. If that was also the case with normal voice calls, what a brilliant service that would be. Google voice, as you say works on that principle but as i live in the UK I've never tried it.

Presumably the network operators would never allow this as Apple (or whoever) would suddenly control video calling (Facetime), texting (iMessage) and normal voice calls. Effectively all you would need from the network operators is a data allowance and they wouldn't like that.

2. Vic

> It ties everything to once number which you can answer on your PC, laptop phone etc

You can do that with a SIP client. I use CSipSimple.

There are a variety of SIP providers around[1] - for most people here, I'd suggest SipGate.

Vic.

[1] I'm one of them, actually - but I'm not really looking for any single-user accounts...

3. JohnG

My German ISP provides telephone via VoIP. Apart from removing the need for a splitter, I can connect multiple VoIP telephones to my landline number using the same credentials. This allows me to use my German landline from a mobile using a standard SIP client and handle both incoming and outgoing calls.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

— "Outoing only??? WTF is with that?"

It allows multiple users and presents the home number on outbound calls (because that's the number you have with BT). Let's imagine someone tries to call your home number; there's the phone plugged into the wall in the house, plus maybe mum, dad and a couple of kids. Whose phone rings?

That's what's up with that.

This might not suit your needs, but it's actually pretty useful for anyone who only uses their landline to make calls that are too expensive on their mobile. Or if you want to call someone while you're away on holiday.

I'm already using it.

1. illiad

"Let's imagine someone tries to call your home number; there's the phone plugged into the wall in the house, plus maybe mum, dad and a couple of kids. Whose phone rings?"

Doh!!! ALL the phones that are connected to that plug, of course!!!!

2. My Opinion

Contrary to other comments here, it presents your MOBILE number on outgoing calls.

2. Test Man
    Thumb Up

So essentially a 21st Century version of the old calling cards.

1. Fuzz

chargecard

yep, kind of like a BT chargecard but this one lets you pay twice, once to BT for the call and once to the mobile network for the data.

3. Select * From Handle
    Facepalm

Read the first line and gave up...

"BT customers can now make calls over the internet from a smartphone app and have the cost added to their landline bill."

So like skype but you get billed for it? Nooo..... that is all....

1. Test Man
      Stop

Re: Read the first line and gave up...

No, you won't get billed for it if the call falls within your free plan e.g. 0800, 0845, 0870 numbers are free, landline numbers are free at weekends at least (and you may have evenings or even anytime free landline calls).

It's not a completely new service and isn't intended to take on Skype, etc., it's simply extending your already-existing BT landline plan to outside the house so you can use it wherever instead of only in your home.

1. Bob Hoskins
        FAIL

Re: Read the first line and gave up...

Aren't you an enthusiastic shill then?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Steve James 1

Suits me fine. On PAYG with Three which gives me unlimited data and now I can use this app to call 0800 numbers with no charge whatsoever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HELL YES!!!!

Virtually the only use for landlines is to call 0800 and 0845 to deal with utility bills and whatnot, and its massively inconvenient, but I had to do it because calling from the mobile was so insanely expensive. Now I can do that from the mobile as well, for free (because I too am on 3). This is utterly awesome.

1. theModge

Re: HELL YES!!!!

That was my first reaction to it.

2. Stuart 22
        Thumb Up

AFAIR Sipgate 0800 VOIP calls have always been free. But nice to add 0845/0870.

As a sidenote we broke down a week ago and had to call the AA. It as nice to see they had added a 0121 number to their regular 0800. So it was a bundled minute call to get us home. Nice!

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: HELL YES!!!! @Stuart 222 - AA

The 0121 number has been around for some years, but I've found the AA app very useful particularly as it sends a GPS location reference to the AA.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

And also unlike VoIP and Skype the call is logged on your BT bill, so a single bill, and so much more conveniant.

For those with BT broadband and/or a mobile phone with BT WiFi you also get to use this at BT WiFi hotspots.

3. auburnman

"Suits me fine. On PAYG with Three which gives me unlimited data and now I can use this app to call 0800 numbers with no charge whatsoever."

That'll be the death knell for Three's unlimited data plan then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see trouble ahead......

BT (and VM) are touting this as a way to make cheap calls from abroad, charges to a UK phone are are at UK rate (or in your bundle) and they are right to some extent.

Right that is until we start hearing of people who have a roaming data bill that dwarfs the cost of the call because the wifi connection they thought you were on had failed and the phone reverted to 3G, and we all know how expensive roaming data can be...

1. Test Man
      Stop

Re: I see trouble ahead......

Hardly BT (or Virgin Media)'s fault - that's the responsibility of the person who owns the mobile. In fact, that could equally apply to any VOIP software (Skype, SIP provider, etc.). At the end of the day, it's the mobile owner's responsibility to make sure that they have and can afford the internet connection.

2. Bob H
      Windows

I haven't seen what happened to the VM service, I imagine they will be rushing to launch it now that BT has announced theirs.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's buggy software that will cause that, teh application (most SIP applications do) should have an option to ONLY use Wifi data.

4. JetSetJim
      Boffin

A two minute call at, say 80kbps, is 1.2MB. Double it for bi-directionality, but then (roughly) halve it for silence if the app supports it (which it should). That's with a fairly high-quality codec. Stick more aggressive coding in there and you can probably drop it down to 16kbps without that much issue. In that scenario you're talking about 300kBytes, which isn't all that much to trouble your data plan.

On Orange (UK), when roaming to France, a megabyte of data costs you 70p, so that two minute call on the more compressed codec will cost you 23p. If you made that call as a voice call it would cost you more than twice as much.

In Kenya, again with Orange, you may want to reconsider using this app. Here it is £8/MB vs £1.75/min for making a call.

In conclusion, if you know your tariffs in advance, you can probably make an overall saving as long as you appreciate that you'll be gouged for roaming either way :)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

is it only Android that has a system-wide setting to disable mobile network data when roaming?

Thought not.

Why would any sensible person not disable roaming data by default?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correct me if I'm wrong

Don't Apple users already have this with Facetime? She calls iphone users from an ipad mini (wifi only) and it's wifi routed to the recipients iphone.

2. Test Man
      Stop

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong

It's different in that with this you call normal phone numbers under the calling plan you have for your BT home landline.

Facetime is pure VOIP and is more in the vein of Viber, Skype (if you don't count the "calling phone numbers" feature), etc. where you can only send voice and audio to another user, not a phone number.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong

You won't get far trying to call a landline using Facetime. Its FaceTime-to-Facetime only.

I think BT's app is a decent, straightforward one and welcome it. The VOIP-calls-charged-to-your-BT-bill complaint is a red herring because, as others have observed, most BT punters have a free calls package.

7. AdamT

Hmm, an app on your phone ...

... to make it be a phone. It's all getting a bit recursive. What happens if you use it to call your phone?

<IT Crowd> if you type "Google" into Google you can break the internet </IT Crowd>

1. Test Man
      Alert

Re: Hmm, an app on your phone ...

On Android, your phone rings. Yes, it doesn't stop normal phone calls.

Have you ever tried to call your own number on a landline? You just get the engaged tone.

8. Ian Watkinson
    WTF?

People still have landlines? How extravagent!

1. Steve James 1

Some of us need a landline to be able to get the internet. In central London here where we don't have a cable service!!!

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

And in many other places as well

Cable only covers cities and large towns. Once you get into the sticks, cable is almost non-existent.

I'm surprised by central London, though.

1. Steve James 1

Re: And in many other places as well

We used to get Westminster Cable, bought out by NTL. However Virgin were unable to put fibre in for some convoluted reason, therefore we have no cable service now. Doesn't stop Virgin posting notes to us on a weekly basis telling us how great their service is, which is very annoying when they won't service our area. 200 yards up the road is borough of Camden and they have a service no probs,

2. illiad

Re: And in many other places as well

the problem with many big cities is there is not enough space for the cabinets and cables!!! :( :(

9. Stephen 2

Is it that hard to grasp?

I'm not sure why so many people are struggling to understand the benefits of this.

Many people are signed up to BT call plans. I myself pay about 8 quid a month for unlimited 'free' calls to landlines, 0845 and 0870, any time of the day.

So I can now make those same calls from my smartphone. For example if I'm sitting in a hotel in Dubai and don't fancy spending a fortune on a long distance call back to the UK. Skype would be an alternative but I'd still have to pay per minute. Why not make use of my BT plan?

For those bitching about data costs being higher than the value of the call, you don't have to use 3g/4g, you can use any wifi point as well!

I wonder if you can call your own number. For example lets say I go abroad without the misses and want to phone home from my smartphone to talk to her. Would it work?

1. Test Man
      Thumb Up

Re: Is it that hard to grasp?

"I wonder if you can call your own number. For example lets say I go abroad without the misses and want to phone home from my smartphone to talk to her. Would it work?"

Yes. The app doesn't tie up your landline and it doesn't represent your landline number strictly speaking. In fact, if you check the bill, it simply adds your mobile number to the calling plan.

1. Stephen 2

Okay that's cool.

So this might also be the solution to houses who have kids shouting over who gets to use the phone next. One person can use the landline and the 4 kids can then make their calls from their smartphones.

So 5 calls at once all using the same package. Sounds good to me!

Does it have to be on a smartphone as aposed to a smart device? i.e. could you use it on an ipod touch instead of an iphone? And could you use it on an android tablet (without cell) instead of an android phone?

1. Stephen 2

Apple and Google app stores both block the app outside the UK. I assume that once it's installed it would actually work. But if you forget to install the app before you go away then you're a bit boned until someone uploads the apk file.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

So if you're familiar with Android side loading and can access the download area on your phone it should be simple to install remotely. From what has been said I would expect the mobile number to also be checked to be a valid UK mobile phone and not previously registered with the service.

2. Test Man
          Stop

"Does it have to be on a smartphone as aposed to a smart device? i.e. could you use it on an ipod touch instead of an iphone? And could you use it on an android tablet (without cell) instead of an android phone?"

Good point. Not 100% sure, but it sends it over an internet connection. Not sure if an external mic or earpiece would be recognised by the device in the exact same way a built-in mic or earpiece is though.

1. Slartybardfast
            Thumb Up

I've just set it up on my iPod Touch. You do need access to a mobile phone as during setup it txt's a PIN to a mobile number. The mobile number is then shown is in CLI when making outbound calls. However, once set you don't need the mobile to make calls. It works fine on iPod and will be so useful when I'm away from home.

1. Stephen 2

If anyone with android would be so kind to grab the .apk and upload it, that would be very much appreciated! Annoying restrictions.

3. martyn413

5 smart phones (iphone and android) and the landline. The device needs to be able to receive a text message. When you call out, it show's your mobile number on the clip.

All devices and landline can be used at the same time. If you have a free call plan, calls made via the app and landline at the same time (to 01,02,03, 0845/0870) will be free within the 60 period.

4. Vic

> Does it have to be on a smartphone as aposed to a smart device?

IME, the biggest problem you get is with the (lack of) echo cancellation on such devices. It makes the call impossible...

Vic.

2. martyn413

Yes, you can call your home line. You can install the app on 5 phones and those 5 phones and the landline can use any call play you have at the same time. If the app users call landlines then as long as it's in the 60 minute period, all the calls will be free.

The anytime call plan is £5.15 PM and this app lets you take advantage of it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"The national telco's SmartTalk service is available for iOS and Android"

What, not available on BlackBerry? Poor show!

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

There are enough of those left

For people to notice?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: There are enough of those left

yes, there are.

1. Steve Todd

Re: There are enough of those left

You could probably hold a meeting in your local pub and complain then.

11. Chris Church
    Thumb Up

Top Stuff

I see this as a bonus and not a service in it's own right. More useful for people on PAYG I'd expect. Most people I know with contracts have tones of minutes, texts and data so don't care about anything like this. I myself have a PAYG phone and so this seems good. Not sure what peoples issue with data is. I only use Wi_fi. You can get on Openzone (free if you're a bt BB customer) as well as plenty of other free Wi-Fi you can get out and about. Being able to make use of the inclusive calls I get will be great as it generally gets wasted at the moment as I'm out more than at home.

And as for people moaning about receiving calls! You can...it's called ringing BT and setting up a divert. And yeah it costs you money but if you so want to receive calls like that I'd suggest getting rid of your landline and just use a mobile. This seems to be about letting you make better use of what you already pay for and that sounds good to me!

1. Test Man
      Thumb Up

Re: Top Stuff

"Most people I know with contracts have tones of minutes, texts and data so don't care about anything like this."

It's actually useful for those people as well. Free minutes, texts and data isn't free when abroad. And 0800/0845/0870 numbers tends not to be free at all on mobile networks even in the UK either.

12. Chad H.

So I can get all of the disadvantages of using Skype and the disadvantages of using a landline.... Wow.

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

If you think getting free landline calls when you don't have access to a device with no free landline calls, or cheap landline calls when you're abroad and only have access to wallet-gouging phone services a "disadvantage", then you're clueless.

1. Chad H.

I get unlimited mobile calls as it is. As for abroad, I'm either paying through the nose for data, or having to find a wifi hotspot... Makes more sense at that point to simply look at a local solution... Calling cards ususally offer rates of around 1p per minute.

1. Test Man
          Stop

Or some people actually have wifi when abroad, maybe at the house of the person they are visiting or the many wifi points around. Why pay 1p per min and faff around with changing SIMs when you can simply use what you're already paying for (your landline calling plan - which gives you free UK landline calls at the weekend at the very least)?

And not everyone has unlimited mobile calls.

In fact, I have £180 worth of UK AND international landline AND mobile calls (effectively unlimited for me) and I would still find this app useful considering that the mobile package I have means nothing the moment I step outside the country.

So clearly it's not a solution that is intended to usurp every single other VOIP/call app out there or cover every single permutation of use, but it'll work for some people, which is great.

For the others, carry on with your existing method.

13. Kaivana
    Thumb Up

its all about the 0800

Will be nice being able to call 0800 numbers from my phone for free.

14. The Alphabet

Isn't it easier to opt for the cheapest available landline service and use services that are available rather than the "convenience" of a brand you recognise?

We pay £11 for line rental + evening/weekend calls (+ caller display) at home, and i get 3000 minutes/3GB data for £15 with Orange. To call freephone numbers i use 0800 buster via my allowance, and saynoto0870 for all else.

Standard line rental with BT is £15.45, with caveats of minimum-calls-or-we-charge-you-a-month, plus your mobile allowance on top.

1. Test Man
      Stop

Do you get to call UK landlines, 0845, 0870 and 0800 for free using your mobile? No? There you go then.

Specific use case for specific people - obviously BT SmartTalk isn't going to be for all.

1. Chad H.

Saynoto0870.co.uk

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Saynoto0870.co.uk

Actually, I expect to see app's such as "0800 for Free" be updated to take advantage of the BT app - so a user just dials (using their normal phone app) and the 0800 app sorts out whether to initiate the call over the mobile voice service or the third-party app.

It's a shame BT didn't do this in the initial release, perhaps this will be in an upgrade.

15. Test Man
    Stop

Potential problem with BT SmartTalk

I have International Freedom on my landline account. Seems that it doesn't apply to calls made via BT SmartTalk (international call comes up with a charge on Recent Usage for the mobile that it was dialled on - same international number under the landline number comes up as £0.00.

Nowhere does it say this on their webpage, in fact it implies that whatever calls you make via BT SmartTalk is charged according to whatever you have on your account.

So best to check this first before assuming that your addons that you may have on your account also apply to calls made via BT SmartTalk (it may not).

1. Chris Church

Re: Potential problem with BT SmartTalk

There shouldn't be an issue. The call should charge as if you are calling from the landline. I have the international freedom and that hasn't charged me when used from the SmartTalk app.

1. Test Man
        Stop

Re: Potential problem with BT SmartTalk

@Chris Church - really? I got charged nearly £5 for a 30 min call to the Republic of Ireland (landline). It's on my bill under "Recent Usage".

The exact same number is billed as £0.00 under the landline number in the same section online.

16. Dare to Think
    IT Angle

Nothing New

The same functionality was already provided by Fring in 2007, which could be installed for free on the N95 running Symbian: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/31/fring_launched/

...which brings me to my usual reminder about how lean and advanced Symbian was at a time when Apple's iOS could not even do copy and paste, but seriously, I don't think we will need a SIM for making phonecalls in the future, maybe only to establish an internet connection over which we then do our browsing, bookings, payments, messaging, and voice calls.

1. Test Man
      FAIL

Re: Nothing New

Except it wasn't. Try reading again.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I foresee a problem.

If you are using SmartTalk on a mobile then you are more than likely going to be in breach of your carrier's terms and conditions.

These usually ban "third party VoIP" applications.

1. Test Man
      Stop

Re: I foresee a problem.

Depends on your data plan's restrictions. Some do (ban VOIP), some don't. Obviously it's up to you to find out and stick to the rules and regulations.

2. theloon

Re: I foresee a problem.

True, but it is wack-a-mole at the carrier level. If you connect to a VPN, say as a corporate user or you have a public/private one you can get to, then the mobile carrier loses pretty much all control of what apps you are using over their network.

18. This post has been deleted by its author

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. mickey mouse the fith

Not new at all, just not quite as good

Way back when i first got a bt landline with the bbtalk package, you could install an app on a win xp (only xp alas, not compatable with vista/7/8) machine and could make and recieve calls using your landline number.

There are a few guides floating about online that explain how you set the service up on a rooted android phone. It involves some file editing and quite a bit of faffing about to get it up n running, but it works a treat.

You basically have to clone the bbtalk handsets unique id from your bbtalk account along with all the server details, and then edit a few config files in the Android phones sip settings, than it works on any data connection and doesnt have to be paired with a bt homehub.

Unfortunately, bt are killing the bbtalk service in 2 months time which is a pisser as the new service sounds worse and more restricted (no incoming calls, really?) than the perfectly good old one.

21. Lamont Cranston
    Happy

Gosh, what a lot of fuss this has caused!

I get my landline and broadband from BT, so this ought to be quite a useful service when combined with the free WiFi that I get bundled in with the other services. If not (and I've yet to even setup the WiFi access), well, I've not lost anything, have I?

22. theloon
    FAIL

Late, Lame and Laughable....

Another classic BT product 'innovation'. 5 years to late to be interesting, and less than half the service you need to really make it useful.

Exactly who is the target audience for this? Who has a mobile and it is not now their primary phone? If you have a minutes plan then it's not in your interest not to use all the minutes you have paid for, and if you have an unlimited plan then why do you care.

But what about 0800 etc numbers you cry. What about them........ ? The EU is bring the pricing for these over mobile to the same as landline, Ofcom is well underway with sorting this.

Who is going to call you on it? No one. For two reasons, we wish to call the person not the premise and if they have a mobile this is the default number to call them on....and dial in does not work anyway for this, which will be defended by BT with their usual quality assurance argument.

Yes it will likely save you some pennys if you are abroad, but this is hardly reason to keep your landline as well as your mobile at the every increasing line rental cost. Unless of course you either have no choice but to take a copper based broadband product with the still compulsory WLR element, which is frankly a scam that BT still lobbies Ofcom to protect.....

1. theloon

Re: Late, Lame and Laughable....

Why a thumbs down?

BT has completely failed to deliver a VOIP or any Next Gen voice product, despite having bet the farm on GCTO's 21CN design which was supposed to move the entire legacy voice network on to the new shiny IP network over 5 years ago.

They have no mobile network, having sold the license, not just for the cash but also a massive lack of foresight at the executive level.

Lets not forget, BT made promises to the financial markets that they would deliver on 21CN, and these promised filter down to the customers, who have been woefully delivered to.

There is still NO VOIP solution over fiber approved at BT, something that you have been able to find at most other national carriers for the last 5 years, NTT, Comcast, etc.

The lack of fiber in the UK is not just a cost or regulation issue, it is also down to massive failure from the national carrier who still spending and supporting a legacy network as they continue the internal management landgrab battles at the expense of the customers.

2. Stephen 2

You have some good points although I do think you're being a bit hard on how useful the app is.

I strongly agree about it being a bit of a rip that BT still enforce compulsory WLR for those of us who just want to use the line for internet. Many other countries let you use the line for internet only, without forcing you to pay 'line rental' for telephone services.

1. theloon

As of this afternoon "Facebook Messenger Now Supports Voice Calling for U.S. Accounts" and it's coming to the UK soon too, naturally.

This is the type of voice App that around 1 billion users will soon have. Socially integrated, not dependent on having a fixed line somewhere in their life.

BT was approached about backending something similar, but the response was that Apps and Social Networking where neither important to customers or would catch on. The same BT that only a few years ago had a BT Retail exec telling the media that he could see no demand for more than 2meg to the home....

It is hard to be kind....

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/facebook-messenger-now-supports-voice-calling-for-u-s-accounts/

23. Foxhill

So Vodafone's OneNet for punters then without half the features. Yay BT....

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good old BT, finding new ways to rob the public. I bet they miss the old days of dialup and £400 a quarter phone bills.

1. My Opinion
      Facepalm

As this is free to register and then lets you use the free/inclusive elements of your BT package, just how is this a "new way to rob the public"?

25. James 100

Tried it - nice idea, poor implementation

I tried it recently - pretty poor call quality compared to Skype etc (using WiFi on a fast connection). The price for 08xx calls is very nice, but the lack of incoming call support along with using your mobile number rather than landline for caller ID are both irritating to me.

Allow me to answer calls to my landline on the mobile app (as I think Vonage does now in some form?), present my landline not mobile number for caller ID, get the call quality up, I'll be happy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like