back to article Flash pioneer STEC invests in ZFS zealot Nexenta

Sources close to the situation have revealed that solid state memory drive manufacturer STEC has invested in ZFS storage firm Nexenta, substantially too. We're told that it seems like a curious play for STEC since a typical ZFS deployment only uses a couple flash drives for the L2ARC and ZIL. One can only imagine that STEC has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jad
    Thumb Up

Ta

Good article ... Stuff I didn't know about, with a little of the stuff I did.

Any investment into Nexenta is only going to be good in the long run for the Illumos Community, one would hope, and the bigger the firm the greater the possibility for investment into the other "distributions" of Illumos.

Jon

2. mr. deadlift
    Pint

Hopefully this pays off, i didnt realsie zfs had limitation on pure solid state storage. would be good to see zfs pushed along, not that it isn't at the moment.

Been using zfs for some time now and looking to move to zfs on linux however getting doco as always is a little tough, looked at illumunos alternatives OI but hardware support is a concern.

shame we lost open solaris.

beer fo ZFS, cracker filesystem/VM

3. Alan_Peery

Have you checked out SmartOS from Joyent?

@ mr. deadlift The SmartOS distribution that you can download from Joyent seems to take Illumnos and may address some of the hardware compatibility concerns you have. I've not yet had a chance to try it

4. Kebabbert

What ZFS flash limitations?

I am not aware of any. You can build a zpool out of flash drives, or SAS disks. Or you can add a layer of flash disks as cache (L2ARC / ZIL).

What do they mean, talking about "limitations"?

This topic is closed for new posts.