back to article Adobe's Flex grabs top project slot at Apache

Adobe’s Flash-friendly Flex application development framework is now a grown-up Apache Software Foundation (ASF) project. Flex has been granted Top-Level Project (TLP) status by the ASF open-source group, "signifying that the Project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic process and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt 75
    Go

Flex can still be made to work for iOS

Presumably you can still publish Flex apps as native apps for iOS and Android using Adobe AIR... so this would still give these products an option for running on mobile/tablet.

I think it's going to be a while before HTML5 really catches up with everything that can be done in Flash... and even longer before Internet Explorer catches up with that!

1. dognolegs

Re: Flex can still be made to work for iOS

I wish they would hand over development of the runtimes (AIR, player) to open source as well, as they (Adobe) haven't been very good stewards of Flash to date - they're more arty-farty than technical, and ideas about making it more efficient, such as driving it closer to the hardware (Flash SoC, anyone?) would be more likely to come from the Open Source community.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish they would open source AMF3 and work to make it a standard. That's one of the nicer parts of Flex/Flash.

3. Unlimited
    Meh

'how Flex can hold onto even its "old faithfuls"'

Many large corporations have invested untold millions into developing both desktop (AIR) and browser (Flash) based applications for both internal and external use in Flex.

The rewrite cost alone means they will hold onto Flex for some years.

"As HTML5 matures, acquiring the capabilities that Flash has led on for years".

When the enterprise browser install base has good support for HTML5 ( maybe by Windows 9?, 10? ) and some tools come out ( ones better than GWT ) which enable applications to be written in a compiled, typed language, then you may start to see the shift occurring.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

VMware is an example of a company that just bet the farm on Flex; their new interface is entirely Flex, and I doubt they have all that much interest in porting. (In fact, I seem to recall one of them discussing at length that HTML5 was not remotely close to as capable as Flex for rich applications like the vSphere management tools.)

You can call that "a company with a vested interest" in keeping Flex alive if you want; but it's a Big Player and I suspect it won't let Flex just die.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like