back to article ZTE to launch Mozilla-based phone in Europe in 2013

Chinese electronics firm ZTE is ramping up its efforts in support of the Mozilla Foundation's open source Firefox OS for mobile phones, and if all goes well, it could deliver a device targeting European customers as early as this year. In an interview at the CES 2013 conference taking place in Las Vegas this week, Cheng Lixin …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg J Preece

Kick ass! Ubuntu, Tizen and Firefox all confirmed for 2013. Now, someone confirm a Sailfish/MeeGo phone and I might actually have a choice of new smartphones!

Good timing, too. The charging port on my N900 is finally giving up the ghost.

1. Jason Hindle

Ummmm...... I think Tizen = Meego

Or is at least what has arisen from the ashes of that particular burning platform..

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Ummmm...... I think Tizen = Meego

Actually, Tizen = MeeGo + Bada.

Sailfish is closer to MeeGo, in that it's MeeGo with bits nailed on.

2. Mark .

Re: Ummmm...... I think Tizen = Meego

It's unclear to me if Tizen (or Firefox OS for that matter) is Linux in the sense of a GNU/Linux distribution (like Meego is, and so will Ubuntu on phones, and Sailfish), or just using the Linux kernel (like Android and ChromeOS) - anyone know?

Both Firefox OS and Tizen talk of using HTML5 for their applications - which is great for an open "ecosystem", but in itself isn't very much in common with Meego or other Linux distributions (on Meego, porting an application from Linux was basically just a recompile, just like for any Linux distribution).

They both seem rather similar to ChromeOS in fact (Linux-kernel, open source, using HTML5), but ChromeOS isn't a Linux distribution either.

2. Nuno

I will call it choice when they give me the same hardware and I can choose which OS I want...

2. James 51

That is a known weakness of the N900. I've been lucky so far but I guess it's only a matter of time before mine goes too.

1. Greg J Preece

It's only weakness, unfortunately. :-( I've ordered a desk charger for the battery. Hopefully that will get me up and running again.

3. Captain DaFt

Mozilla phone, eh?

Hello Mr. Moto, meet Mr. MoFo.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More choices. Cool.

As another commentard said, I wonder if FFOS will really be open - unlike Android. I liked Meego and Maemo. I'm not so sure about Tizen. I mean Apt is just fantastic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like