back to article Bacterial quantum tricks could help solar power

The ocean-dwelling Green Sulphur Bacteria should be interesting without outside help: it can, after all, live at depth of 2,000 meters and still harvest enough energy from light to survive and reproduce. Now, researchers at Cambridge University have found that the little microbe has another interesting characteristic: its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby

To there is a use for...

SLIME after all.

Now if they can get it to gobble up CO2 in great quantities here on the surface it could lead to climate change (bad, or good, you pick).

1. itzman

Re: To there is a use for...

On the other hand, it might make absolutely no difference at all.

...as the met office backtracks and says 'no climate change till 2015'

Presumably you only get global warming with a tax and spend labour government?

Its no stupider than any other theory based on modelling flatulence.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm.

“reenergising it back to exciton level through molecular vibrations”.

Sounds like my sex life ATM.

1. FartingHippo
      Coat

Re: Hmmm.

You're doing it wrong. They're meant to dispense money, not pleasure. Although to be fair, the former is often a nice way to get the latter...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm.

Um... it says "molecular" not "manual"

I think your eyesight might be going

3. 0laf
    Devil

I for one now welcome our deep ocean dwelling quantum powered bacterial overlords.

4. Schultz
    Boffin

The sceptical scientist

As a sceptical scientist, I always assumed that the "experiments [that] have been interpreted as evidence for electronic coherences between excitons" (Nature 446, 782–786 (2007).) were actually vibrations with very typical vibrational cherence times. Coupling of electronic and vibrational motion (it's part of nature, even if it won't show up in the common models due to the Born Oppenheimer approximation).

So now this new theoretical paper appears (the one discussed in this article is one of a few dozen in the last years), and says that "picosecond electronic coherence can be driven and supported by quasicoherent interactions between excitons and spectrally sharp vibrational environment modes". Yea, that would be coupling between electronic and vibrational motion.

Long live the sceptical scientist.

IT angle? The science is based on elaborate computer models, but the old adage applies: bullshit in, bullshit out.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

It's doing photsynthesis 2000m below the surface

This is astonishing

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like