back to article Microsoft burgled, only the APPLE iPADS stolen - cops confirm

A savvy sneak slipped into a Microsoft campus, stole five iPads and left all the Microsoft products untouched, according to cops. More than $3,000 in Apple kit was nicked from the research and development complex in Mountain View, California, over Christmas. There was no sign of a forced entry at Building 5 on La Avenida …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

"Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment".

Well there's your problem, right there. Should have called it an open specification...

1. LarsG
      Meh

Apparently

Apparently according to the news broadcast they found a significant number of additional surface tablets that were unclaimed by staff but linked by serial number to a theft from a Microsoft Store two weeks ago. Police speculate they were left behind by the burglars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apparently

Of course what hasn't yet been reported is that they were all thrown in the bin as the cleaner correctly identified them as being rubbish.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Re: "Microsoft did not respond to a request for comment".

Look at these two ugly bastards:

http://bgr.com/2013/01/07/nokia-ceo-elop-interview-android-284778/

Between them is a pair of loser CEOs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh and Eric Schmidt is a wonderful guy is he?

He used to work for shit boring Novell. He's in North Korea, one of the axes of evil. He only gives a shit about grabbing your money and couldn't give a stuff about paying taxes.

Elop is a good CEO, many Nokia users who have written to him with problems have received free gifts and help. Try emailing Schmidt, would probably be out playing golf or something. Steve Jobs would have said "hold it differently".

1. asdf
          FAIL

>Oh and Eric Schmidt is a wonderful guy is he?

Hmm so everybody who criticizes Microsoft or their ho hum me too products is now automatically an Android or Apple fanboi eh? Not everyone believes in corporate tribes (most outside of middle school in fact). Some of us just look at electronics as tools and select the one that best meets our needs for the right price.

2. Cyclist
          Headmaster

Point of order, but it's axis of evil, not axes. Axes of evil is a whole new ball game.

Carry on.

2. Herer
        Thumb Up

that isn't ballmer's real hand

3. Atonnis

I don't quite think you can really call those two 'loser CEOs' - both of their bank balances are probably more than you'll earn over your entire lifetime.

2. Thomas 4

And many thanks

...to Mr T. Cook for the news tip.

1. Mark .

Re: And many thanks

Indeed, this is nothing more than a troll / press release masquerading as news - people may dislike MS, but seriously, you want to advertise for let's-destroy-the-most-successful-Open-Source-operating-system-with-software-patents Apple?

If they only took five items, it seems clear it was a targeted theft. And as noted in the other recent story[*], this may be because they're expensive, and there will be a minority who will pay any price for them, plus unlike many makes, they only do expensive products, so it's an easier target.

Given that thieves typically steal to sell, this tells us nothing about what is desired, but what people can sell at a high price. So Apple win on that - big deal. And whilst I'm sure the spin is "people don't want MS even for free", the flipside is that it says these people are only willing to take Apple if they give it for free (also see the ridiculous numbers of "win a free ipad" competitions).

The other point is that these stories only get reported when it favours Apple.

[*] What is it about all these recent "Thieves stealing Apple products" stories? Seems some kind of desperate marketing attempt to make the products look popular. Even the local news here was at it, reporting on burglaries, but then mentioning only Apple brand names by name - any other makes just get ignored, or don't get reported.

3. mhoneywell

BYOD

Good to see Microsoft supporting the principles it touts.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: BYOD

Should be TYoD

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

They Looked At The W8 Machines....

And thought WTF is that GUI all about, no thanks.

1. Mark .

Re: They Looked At The W8 Machines....

Except if that was their view, they wouldn't have then taken a tablet-only ipads!

5. Dana W
    Happy

This is going to leave me amused all day.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Yep, me too. And it makes me wonder: were these thieves out for profit, or did they really want to salt into some people's wounds.

1. Thorne
        Gimp

Actually it's like the animal liberationists who break into labs to free lab animals. Fanbois broke in and liberated the iPads to stop evil Microsoft scientist performing unholy experiments on them.

Unfortuantely like in the horror movies these iPads are already infected and will wreak havok on the fanboi population.

Muhahahahahaha

6. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Happy

Priceless

Many years ago, a company I worked for had offices in a really out-of-town (nearest store 1mile) technology park.

One day we had a frantic phone call from the office manager. Thieves had broken into our offices, and then used our computers to break the windows into the office across the hall, and steal their computers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What were Microsoft stealing from the iPads?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What were Microsoft stealing from the iPads?"

Nothing, they just thought it was cool to be seen with one !

1. Naughtyhorse

Nothing, they just thought it was cool to be seen with one !

So the gear belonged to the team that brought us windoze ME then

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Nothing, they just thought it was cool to be seen with one !

If you read the article;

"....Microsoft reported the crime to the police on 2 January but believes the electronics were stolen between 19 and 26 December....."

Looks like the iPads weren't that cool seeing as no-one noticed they had gone for up to fourteen days.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Microsoft has some evidence as to when the crime occurred and someone sat on it at the request of the PR department. They needed to come up with a story to which they couldn't think of one. I think the thieves should have left a Zune behind.

I heard Ballmer felt so bad, that he offered a new Surface to replace the four iPads that got stolen.

2. Alex King
          FAIL

OR, the office where they were might have been unattended during that period. Now let me see, what could possibly have caused that around that time of year??

3. hplasm
          Devil

They noticed they had gone, but thought they might come back after a reboot.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Trollface

What were Microsoft stealing from the iPads?

Nothing, The were checking to see what crApple had stolen from them.

ref: "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas" — Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, 1996 (youtube link)

8. Scarborough Dave
    Coffee/keyboard

Nice article to read before I went home

Thanks! needed a chuckle after the Monday blues!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's what you get

if you don't watch MS Windows8 adds carefully. You end up with the wrong kit.

10. Andy Fletcher

If he got some untested MS apps for Mac devices...

He's probably already suffered enough punishment.

11. Big_Ted
    Trollface

If I had broken in

I would have taken the Apple kit as well, easy to sale on ebay for a good price.

After all 5 ipads among hundreds won't stand out but a couple of surface tablets on ebay would be a red flag to anyone, after all they only sold half a dozen or so,

1. Grave

Re: If I had broken in

probably easier because crapple users aren't the brightest bulbs in a box so they pretty much buy even clay-brick with crapple logo on it

//code cipher:

downvote = agreed

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You mean like this?

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

It's all about price. Apple kit sells at several thousand times the manufacturing price, hence a lot of room for stolen half-price kit on the black market: cheap enough to be a good buy despite the risk. Ignoring the surface for this argument, you can buy or build a windows computer for, well, the price of its part on the Chinese market. 400 bucks will get you a very decent windows office machine. factoring in the labour cost of physically removing the machines from MS headquarters, you can't possibly beat that. A basic Windows PC is cheaper to buy than to steal. Then there is value-to-volume and weight: ratios: the thieves could have stolen one full-size rack of spanking new servers, used heavy machinery to move it to a rather large van. Instead they choose to steal the same resale-value kit that fits in a briefcase.

Also, reselling beasty servers is harder and more suspicious than reselling "Oh I got it for Xmas but I don't like it that much" iPads...

1. Dana W
        FAIL

"Apple kit sells at several thousand times the manufacturing price,"

No.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> "Apple kit sells at several thousand times the manufacturing price,"

> No.

You're right. It's only twice the retail price (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/ipad_breakdown/)

heh.

1. Dana W
            Happy

I never denied THAT. Just that "several thousand times" is just dumb. Note the thumbs down from the Fandroids and the Winsheep.

1. dajames
              FAIL

I never denied THAT. Just that "several thousand times" is just dumb. Note the thumbs down from the Fandroids and the Winsheep.

Nah, you're getting voted down because you're coming across as someone who is so literal-minded that he can't appreciate the use of ironic exaggeration to emphasize a point.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Look I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
              Unhappy

Re: If I had broken in @ Dana W

> the Fandroids and the Winsheep.

just for the record, I mildly hate MSWindows (my work involves tech support for MSWinLusers... so I'm paid for MS' flaws, in a way; hence the "mildly"). I never ever owned an iOS device but I still have to fix these for friends; and I never ever owned an Android device, or had to fix one. My real machines mostly run Debian or OpenBSD, and my toys (handhelds, etc) run either obscure Linux distros (for the most powerful ones) or fully machine-programmed OSes (for the more ressource-limited ones). Excluding my work machines, I do not use any internal hard drive larger than 20 GB. I am a sad geek indeed.

3. Mark .

And Apple ipads, the most overhyped product in existence even before its release, took years to get anywhere (it was 6 months before I saw a single one). And the original iphone only sold half a dozen (see? I can make stuff up too - or more accurately, they sold way less than Symbian, Blackberry, and even WM).

Seriously - I get that people here don't like tablets and MS, yet then you find they support *Apple*?

You're right on the first paragraph, which is why this pro-Apple-spin is a non-story.

12. Silverburn
    Happy

Santa

Microsoft reported the crime to the police on 2 January but believes the electronics were stolen between 19 and 26 December

Hmmmm. Looks like nobody is immune to Apples supply management - not even Santa. No sign of forced entry, but did the room have a chimney by any chance...?

13. O RLY

Why are there quotations marks around iPad 4

and not iPad 3 as well? Neither the third or fourth iPads were designated "iPad 3" or "iPad 4", so why single one out?

14. Arachnoid

"It's possible the thief has got hold of some unreleased Microsoft apps with his or her Apple devices."

Surely a pun unless MS is now developing Office for the iPad??

1. zentechinc

my thoughts too

developer guts for office for ipad maybe?

15. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

See, there is such a thing as Kama

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes and this it hitting you for not paying attention at school.

Karma, not kama!

1. Martin
        Happy

"Yes and this it hitting you..."

First law of corrections - when you smugly point out an error, you will make a mistake in your correction....

Yes, and this is it hitting you...

2. frank ly

@Will Godfrey re 'Kama'

The Wikipedia entries for 'Kama' are wide ranging. My favourite is :

"Kama is translated from Sanskrit as pleasure, sensual gratification, sexual fulfillment or the aesthetic enjoyment of life."

16. Lars Silver badge
    Joke

I suspect

it was Ballmer. Better look for them outside the window.

17. keithpeter Silver badge
    Holmes

Elementary

"There was no sign of a forced entry at Building 5 on La Avenida Street, whose staff use electronic cards to enter the offices, said Sgt Sean Thompson."

and

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20020541-71.html

Elementary Dr Watson: it was an inside job.

Melinda is putting her foot down.

1. Silverburn
      Joke

Re: Elementary

That's strange...whenever my Dr Watson runs, I just get error messages. How do you enable the sentience feature...?

18. Paul 135
    Terminator

This is exactly why Microsoft have lost their way as of recent.

... too much crApple hipster influence that has caused all common sense to be thrown out the window.

19. The Alpha Klutz
    Thumb Up

I love it when they steal rich tat

from rich twats.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I love it when they steal rich tat

Jealous? Get a job m8.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah right

This was obviously just the cleaner who has thrown all the useless rubbish away.

1. Dana W

Re: Yeah right

NO! Not at all Steve Ballmer is still there!

21. Timpatco
    Happy

Receivers of stolen goods prefer Apple....

This story only goes to prove that thieves and criminal fences prefer to steal for the Orchard...

22. Pet Peeve
    Gimp

Sad sack

This is a funny story, but it kind of makes you feel bad for Microsoft, who can't seem to do a single thing right these days.

Over the holiday, I was at two shopping centers that had both a microsoft store and an apple store, and I felt so sorry for the guys working the microsoft store (the staff WAY outnumbered the customers, while at the apple store, you could hardly get in the door it was so packed) that I almost bought a surface out of pity. ALMOST.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Sad sack

Before Christmas the Apple store in Southampton was so horrific that I ended up getting my iPad in Tesco instead. Same price + double clubcard points!

Mind you, half the problem with the Apple store is the crowd of students outside leeching the free wi-fi. One was just walking around in the main thoroughfare with giant headphones on, oblivious to everyone, and talking to someone using the video conference app.

1. It wasnt me
        Happy

I used to shop at that store in Southampton. Until one of the Apple employees suggested I go buy the kit a couple of shops down in John Lewis where they are happy to give you a two year warranty, and will not not need threatening with the law should you need to use it. A jolly helpful apple drone - I was surprised.

2. adnim
      Meh

...but it kind of makes you feel bad for Microsoft

No it doesn't.

I might feel a little embarrassed for the Microsoft staff in the scenario you describe above.

However, I have over 20 years experience of working in IT and as such, I will never, ever feel anything for Microsoft.

23. nuked
    Coat

I heard they broke back in the day after and returned all the copies of Windows 8 they took.

1. Mike Flugennock

Reminds me of an item in the news about 20 years or so ago...

...when a New Orleans Saints fan, fed up with the team's consistently poor performance, deliberately left his season tickets on the dashboard of his car with the door unlocked, in the hopes they'd be stolen. When he returned some hours later, he found that someone had entered his car and left a second set of Saints season tickets on the dashboard next to his own.

No, seriously, New Orleans really was playing that badly back then.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They left the MS products because they are too hard to fence. If the police stopped every one with a Surface, the thieves wold be caught in no time at all; probably would only need to stop about 10 people or so before the stolen goods were found.

I bet the footage shows it was Ballmer. He is probably out in some field going Office Space on them.

25. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

B'WAHA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHHH

HA HA ha ha ha hah hah, heh heh...

That is all.

26. Herby

Second prize?

As the saying goes, Second prize is a week in (name your ugly town), and first prize, you ask? That is TWO weeks in (name your ugly town).

So, second prize in this case is a Surface tablet, and first prize is many Surface tablets. Not an iPad to be seen!

Maybe thieves do have smarts, but I doubt it!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the burglars avoided the Microsoft products

Lack of demand = no resale value.

28. philbo
    Black Helicopters

It was probably a cover

..as John McAfee's agents stole in and installed invisible keyloggers on all the Surface tabs, and his camouflaged trojans wouldn't run on Apple kit.

29. Richard 120

Context

It's a shame it's not as funny when you read the context -

"the place where Microsoft, whose headquarters are in Redmond, develops software for Apple hardware. It's possible the thief has got hold of some unreleased Microsoft apps with his or her Apple devices. The office also houses Microsoft Exchange hosting servers, a less tempting target for a light-fingered thief."

So they got into a place which left them a choice of tablets, probably all of them were Apple, or the alternative was some probably rack mounted servers. It's an easy choice for a thief.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Context

also, who would steal an Exchange Server apart from a serious masochist (who might enjoy trying to smuggle it out on his person), even if it's one of the 18" rack mounts Mr Bryant mentioned ..

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop being cruel to CEOs

They are the true wealth creators. Without them, nothing would happen. Ever. They deserve our total adoration and we must continue giving them even larger amounts of money and other gifts. Otherwise, these Gods will frown on us and deliver thunderbolts from the skies, pestilence on our farms and plagues on our houses.

1. Martin
      Happy

Re: Stop being cruel to CEOs

"...they are the true wealth creators."

Absolutely true, particularly with regard to their own wealth.

31. Wil Palen
    Flame

Amazing

Almost a year after Elop's burning platform speech, and people are still venting their frustration about Nokia's switch to WP. And I understand completely. You can pry my N9 from my cold dead hands!

32. GuyC

Thieves aren't that bright though

Whilst working for a reseller, someone broke into the warehouse overnight and stacked up boxed, brand new laptops to reach some low end end PC's which were up on the shelving

33. zb
    Joke

I bet the perps are El Reg readers.

34. Pat 4

What's with all the comments about Elop not being a good CEO...

Elop was NEVER a CEO... he was always and remains a Microsoft Executive.

The fact that he's an employee of Microsoft who happens to be running another company for them doesn't change what his actual job is...

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thief took what he knew wouldn't stand out in a crowd and would sell quickly and cheaply to someone who didn't really care what they were getting and wouldn't ask too many questions...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"someone who didn't really care what they were getting and wouldn't ask too many questions..."

A fanboi, in other words.

36. This post has been deleted by its author

37. Parax

Theft or....?

Did a senior manager pop over for a visit, and chucked away a few things he didn't think ought to be there....

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, who else in Mountain View has been accused of stealing software in the past and might be interested in progress of Microsoft Office on iPads?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like