back to article Security bods rip off Microsoft's 'sticking plaster' IE bug fix

A security researcher has developed a method to circumvent Microsoft's temporary fix for a zero-day Internet Explorer browser vulnerability. Redmond release a temporary Fix It to defend against the flaw last week, pending the development of a more complete patch which it later emerged would not arrive with updates due to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the fix was a little less temporary than er, temporary.

Much is being made of the IE side of things. I'm more intrigued by what was wrong server-side, especially with respect to CFR (having seen their list of members). What's the news there?

Also, the CFR, claim that Flash was also a prerequisite.

2. nuked
    Holmes

"If security analysts at Exodus Intelligence can circumvent the fix then the implication is that cybercriminals might be able to do something similar"

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

This is what happens when Microsoft would rather you upgrade your entire OS to get a newer version of the browser than release IE 9/10 for XP which is still in support until 2014. No wonder they lost market share to Firefox and Chrome, at least their latest versions still work on XP.

1. Fuzz

and Microsoft aren't improving the situation, they should include updated versions of IE with service packs. At the moment IE6 will be supported up until 2015 when server 2003 is retired, IE7 and IE8 till 2020 when 2008 support ends. So that's still another 7 years of this kind of story.

4. JDX Gold badge

A question to hackers or security people

I've always wondered when MS say "this vulnerability could allow an attacker to take full control of your computer" , what does that actually mean? In my head I see them using a vulnerability to mysteriously launch an RDP session to your PC or something but that sounds unlikely... anyone know first hand what it actually 'looks like' from the hacker's side?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

Re: A question to hackers or security people

It means that the attacker can execute code on your system, usually that code will just be a dropper. Meaning it communicates with a HTTP server and grabs a binary. Then it executes it.

Whatever you program that binary to do, the computer will do...

So if you create a piece of malware that allows for VNC access, the attacker will get that

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

MEIN GOTT!!

A sensible, well constructed and salient answer from a Linux fanbois...

No slagging of Windows or its failings....

You, Sir, have just ever so slightly changed some of my feelings towards your brethren.......

+1

2. Allan George Dyer
      Alert

"Full control" means administrator-level access, so, yes, they could launch an RDP session if they wanted to. I recall the old Back Orifice party trick... you could remotely eject the CD tray, great for awareness raising, not much use for a criminal.

Typically, an attacker would try to be unobtrusive, and would install something to further their ultimate purpose. If the attack can be automated, then it will be used in drive-by attacks to install botnet software for later sale as DoS or spamming zombies; if the attack is more involved, then maybe used in targeted attacks on high-value victims for installing keyloggers; or capturing webcam images for extortion; the possibilities are endless.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

[quote]"Full control" means administrator-level access...[/quote]

Most often it is the rights of the user under whose context the browser is running which determine the level of access, the sad fact is that too many people run as administrator because "they need to" or "they know what they are doing" (or simply because it is the OOBE for the first user created on Windows).

2. Phil101
        Stop

According to the MS advisory (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2794220) this exploit runs in the context of the user and doesn't directly allow privilege escalation.

5. Fuzz

obsolete versions of IE

"obsolete but still widely used versions of Microsoft's web browser software browsers"

"ob·so·lete

/ˌäbsəˈlēt/

Adjective

No longer produced or used; out of date."

unfortunately all these versions of IE are still current and supported by Microsoft. IE8 certainly can't be called obsolete because it's the highest version available for XP and server 2003 both of which are widely used.

1. Comments are attributed to your handle
      Thumb Up

Re: obsolete versions of IE

I suppose a better word would be 'deprecated'.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

how about "obsolescent" - in the process of becoming obsolete

3. Chandy

Hell, I'd call IE8 the 'latest stable' release.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

im gunna use IE right now

oh wait it doesnt work on my OS. whats Microsoft gunna do about it? lie and say theres is still the best.? yes!

uuuuuuu shut up

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: im gunna use IE right now

Are you alright mate???

Seems you have a bit of a mental / verbal issue there....

Can i offer you a 9mm asprin???

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like