back to article Metal Gear Solid 4 to launch on 12 June

It's official: Konami has announced that the fourth instalment in its extremely successful Metal Gear Solid series, Guns of the Patriots, will be released across Europe on 12 June. Konami will whet appetites with a public beta version of Metal Gear Online before the release of MGS4, details of which will be released soon. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam West

Thanks, Sony

I dont normally go in for Sony-bashing, but why is the bundle only going to be available in America? Seems like every announcement Sony makes about the PS3 is a big f-off to the UK and Europe. The only reason Id buy a PS3 is for MGS4. If they're not going to bundle it, I wont bother.

2. Iain

@Adam

Movietyme and Videogames Plus are your friends. Import via either of those for less than the price of a UK one anyway - plus Region 1 DVD support. All PS3 games are multi-region as part of the spec, and Europeans aren't allowed backward-compatibility anyway, so only being able to play US PS2 titles on an imported 80Gb isn't a big deal.

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

US

The US market is the biggest economy and where the XBox is king. Hence Sony are trying hard to break that market.

4. paul
    Heart

@adam

buy it from the us. I've not seen a ps3 title that is region locked yet.

5. Ash
    Joke

I'd fly to America to get one...

... but i'd only get stopped at the border, strip searched, have my knob print taken for forensic analysis, and they'd make me power up the PS3 to prove it wasn't a suitcase bomb full of red mercury, and play some MGS4 to prove it didn't contain plans for world domination.

Which it almost certainly does.

6. Steve Barnes
    Stop

Vibration Support

"No mention has been made as to whether the game will utilise the rumble function of the DualShock controller - something the previous games did, making that one of their trademark attractions to PlayStation gamers. But since Sony's bundling the controller in the US, it's likely that it will be utilised fully in the game."

Erm, that's ridiculously untrue, as at the ORIGINAL ANNOUNCEMENT of the Dual Shock 3, Konami declared that MGS4 would support it and utilise it's vibration function. I must have read about that in at least 10 different articles since then, so how the hell do you guys not know that?

7. Joe K

Bonus

We get MGS:Online free?!?

I thought it was going to be a seperate game, or at least a reduced price one.

Can't complain, and it'll liven up a usually barren mid-year gaming time.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: @ Adam

"Movietyme and Videogames Plus are your friends. Import via either of those for less than the price of a UK one anyway - plus Region 1 DVD support. All PS3 games are multi-region as part of the spec, and Europeans aren't allowed backward-compatibility anyway, so only being able to play US PS2 titles on an imported 80Gb isn't a big deal."

No. Why the hell should EU citizens even have to think about resorting to the actions described above? AFAIC Sony can go fornicate themselves with a rusty iron bar.

9. David S

@Steve Barnes

Possibly they don't care as much as you do? Just a thought.

This looks like quite a lot of fun. In a couple of years time, when I can afford the time and money to get one of these (hopefully one or two of the kids will have moved out by then) it should be available in a bargain bin somewhere. Woo hoo.

Bitter? Moi?

10. Steve Barnes

@David S

"Possibly they don't care as much as you do? Just a thought."

Perhaps they should? They are reporters... reporting on the subject... just a thought...

11. john

Demo Clip

I downloaded a clip from Playstation Store (free) showing Hideo Kojima playing the game. Not sure how to get it outside of PS3 land but anyone interested in MGS should definitely take a look.

12. Iain

Re: importing

You don't _have_ to think about importing, AC. You're quite welcome to sit there without a PS3, safe in the knowledge that SCEE are missing their sale to you.

I, on the other hand, would rather sit there with an imported PS3 actually watching some movies, even if it means I'm no longer interested buying a UK model in the event of SCEE doing a better job eventually. Right now, however, there are easily enough people who are willing to pay over the odds that your money won't be missed.

13. john cargill
    Boffin

Hope it's good

The game offerings for PS3 have really been unimpressive.

The bundle is an obvious marketing ploy just like the halo3 edition of xbox. With halo 3 pulling more than some movies, this makes sense.

14. Matt

Bigger economy

Don't make me laugh, the EU is a much bigger economy than the US and more populous too.

15. Adrian Jackson
    Alert

Damn those lucky Euros...

I'm amused by Adam's complaint, because before this pack was announced I heard many USAians complaining about how unfair it was that Europe was getting such a beautiful looking GT5 Prologue pack - and the same has been true of other Europe-only pack-in deals in the past. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...

All a moot point for anyone who already owns the system. With any luck you'll only be buying any given system in a bundle once, so it's hardly something to complain too vociferously about. Just buy the game separately, or in one of the inevitable retailer-based bundles. Sure, you won't have a pretty cardboard box to stick in your loft and forget about, but you'll get over it.

Anyone who says "I won't buy it if they don't bundle it with the game I want" really isn't the target audience, and frankly is just looking for excuses *not* to buy, and preferably to bash the manufacturer while they're at it.

16. Daniel B.
    Thumb Up

Wahoo!!

Though thumbs-down on Sony making this US-only. Now I'll have to pay $100 more for my round-trip to the US border to get my PS3!!!

Anyway, THIS is what I've been waiting for: a *cheaper* PS3, rumble feature, AND MGS4... which will have the Halo3 equivalent effect on the PS3; though I'd prefer to call it the "FF7 effect" because Halo3 is "just another FPS, but nice looking."

I just hope this release actually tilts the scale over to the PS3. Ok, maybe it won't overtake the Wii, but at least the xbox 360 it should... :)

This topic is closed for new posts.