back to article She's a beauty! Super WATER-RICH Mars rock FOUND

A Martian meteorite nicknamed Black Beauty contains more water than any other rock found from the Red Planet. Martian meteorite Black Beauty Martian meteorite Black Beauty Credit: NASA The space stone, discovered in Morocco, is believed to come from the Martian crust 2.1 billion years ago, during the planet’s Amazonian era …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Cooke

Extraterrestrial H20

How much d'you think they'd charge for a glass of that? (like Mr Branson's suborbital flights but you don't have to leave your armchair ;-)

1. LarsG

Re: Extraterrestrial H20

If we know this why have they sent that rover out there?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do we know that it came from Mars?

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_meteorite the usual way of identifying a Martian meteorite is by looking at the isotopic composition, but this one "has a different mixture of oxygen isotopes than that of most Martian meteorites, which could have come from interaction with the planet’s atmosphere" ... or could be due to the meteorite not having come from Mars? Presumably the boffins know what they're talking about, unlike me, but I'd still like to know how the Martian origin was established.

1. jai

Re: How do we know that it came from Mars?

because it has the "Work, Rest and Play" logo stamped on the back....

2. Jim McDonald

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one... but still they come!

1. Sorry, "Sorry that handle is already taken" is already taken.
        Alien

UUULLAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Future but not as you knew it

Are they the Second Coming? And as ravenous as locusts on a bumper crop of harvest? Methinks so. Martian Memes are Big Business for AIdVenturous Capital Seed Funders and Market Makers ....... QuITe Magical Wizards be they in the Way and Lay of Witches and their Sisters.

Just adding some further refinements to the steganographic codeXSSXXXX there, El Reg, to capture Vatican delights or prove it as an empty information vessel of ignorant vassals in need of heavenly views with novel viable Holy Sees.

It's been quite a busy year already :-) Or haven't you been paying close attention to the new live virtual browser interface for text messages to networks. Share anything hot on the Internet and the world will know at the speed of thought transfer. So what hot thoughts are worth the world knowing? How to make everything work smoothly?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The Future but not as you knew it

To answer your questions:

No. No. No. None. 3-in-1.

2. Arctic fox
          Terminator

Re: The Future but not as you knew it

For one terrifying moment after reading your post I felt that I could almost understand Martian.

3. Vic

> The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one

But million-to-one chances, as we all know, crop up nine times out of ten...

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I also don't know what I'm talking about, but it strikes me that if it's been here for 2.1 billion years or so, then it could've been lying in a puddle for, oooo, 2.0999999999999 billion of those and got wet here instead of somewhere else.

4. Jtom
      Thumb Up

My thoughts, exactly, and I am somewhat of boffin (masters in physics and astronomy). "It's similar to but different from others...," usually is a clue that you have found something entirely different from that which you are comparing it to.

After roaming through the galaxy for billions of years, I would not be surprised if earth has not gathered a few intra-galaxy 'rocks' from other star systems - debris ejected from dying stars or black holes devouring other solar systems, etc. They would be rare, indeed, but what would you think happen to a planet orbiting a sun that went supernova? Pieces would be strewn all over space.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

> during the planet’s Amazonian era

Were they blonde and busty?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did they avoid paying tax?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Did they avoid paying tax?

And does that mean the meteorite is actually from Luxembourg?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AndrueC

Yes, and desperate for Snu Snu

3. Ted Treen
      Boffin

Well...

Half-busty perhaps - I believe Amazons were reputed to have removed the right one, as it apparently impeded the drawing of the bow-string...

Probably better (and safer) sticking with wenches who are less war-like...

4. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Planet of...

We now know that Mars was once a planet of water. Astronomers have also found at least two planets composed, they say, largely of diamonds (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/11/nearby_diamond_planet/). All very nice, but it's Friday and I want one made of alcohol.

1. SirDigalot

Re: Planet of...

made of alcohol orbited by a vindaloo or doner kebab moon...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"made of alcohol orbited by a vindaloo or doner kebab moon..."

Do you realise how many climbing deaths/injuries that would cause at 3am?

2. harmjschoonhoven
      Pint

Alcohol in space!

The detection of hot ethanol in G34.3+0.15 MNRAS, Volume 273, Issue 1, pp. 25-29 (1995).

Read at http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1995MNRAS.273...25M&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES

5. RubberJohnny

And the Russians used a pencil

So, how many billion are being spent sending a robot car to Mars?

In Morocco somebody bent down and picked up a rock, got better results?

1. Stratman

So, how many billion are being spent sending a robot car to Mars?

As long as it isn't made by Mercedes. That amount of water will have it rusting in no time.

2. imanidiot Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: And the Russians used a pencil

Contrary to popular belief, while the pencil is clearly the simpler and easier of the solutions, a pencil is by far the inferior one. Using a pencil in zero G leaves a lot of graphite dust floating. Fine if you're only making an orbit or 2 in a small capsule, but it gets messy over longer periods of time. On top of that, graphite dust is conductive and leads to the possibility of a short circuit being created somewhere.

And another fun fact, normal ballpoint pens work just fine in zero G the viscosity and surface tension of the ink mean it sticks to the writing end just fine.

1. Mike Flugennock

As I recall, NASA crews eventually went with felt-tip pens -- i.e. Flairs and Sharpies -- as it eliminated the issue of ballpoints skipping and running dry owing to the lack of gravity forcing ink through the tube to the point.

1. P. Lee

No love for crayons?

2. DanceMan

Lu kily we d n't ne d gra ity t t pe pro erly..

Exc pt wh n the l ptop flo ts awa .

3. RubberJohnny

omg, you must be having to turn down dinner dates.

Yep, we all know it's an urban myth. Which is why it worked as a title.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like