back to article What's THAT, you say? Apple MIGHT be making a NEW iPHONE, iOS?

Apple is now testing the next version of its iPhone and accompanying software, according to developers or anyone with an ounce of common sense. Third-party programmers have claimed a gadget identifying itself as an "iPhone 6.1" running "iOS 7" has turned up in usage log files, which record information about the devices used to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Thumb Down

Really?

"So the question here is not if Apple are developing a new iPhone, that’s obvious, the question is why let people know it's happening.

To which the answer is almost as obvious: so they'll write about it and keep the frenetic interest in all things Apple bubbling along until there's some real news to report."

And you did. The better question is why do you fall for it, each and every time?

1. danR2

Re: Really?

Why?...because someone will comment enthusiastically or dolorously, each and every time.

2. Steve Button Silver badge
      FAIL

Totally agree with you here Zaphod. And we fell for it too. Come on Reg., I'm sure any iArticle is going to generate loads of traffic from us iVictims, but it does really piss us off and weakens your brand over time if what you are reporting on isn't actually news. Stop thinking so much about your advertising revenues and BITE THE HAND.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Really?

"what you are reporting on isn't actually news"

Apologies if the sarcasm was too subtle, but the point of Bill's story and the headline is that the web screaming that "Apple is making another iPhone" is akin to "Disney is making another movie".

C.

1. Steve I

"Disney is making another movie".

Really! Wow! When's it out?

2. Eddie Edwards

I think the point of Bill's story was to fill a slow news day. The sarcasm wasn't subtle but then neither was the irony. Still, thanks for posting *something* to read today! :)

If I ever own a proper company I'm going to send press releases out on 2nd Jan. Can't fail.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Really?

"The sarcasm wasn't subtle but then neither was the irony"

Tough crowd.

C.

2. Annihilator
        Facepalm

"Stop thinking so much about your advertising revenues and BITE THE HAND."

And you don't think a massively sarcastic article about Apple hype is doing just that?

3. LarsG
      Meh

Will it come with Maps?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Which manufacturer is not developing a new phone?

Answers on the back of a stamp please....

This article is stating the bleeding obvious...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. GregC
      FAIL

Sarcasm/irony detector fail?

As title...

2. The FunkeyGibbon

Re: WTF !?!

I'm going to guess you're American as you utterly missed that joke...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'm going to guess you're American as you utterly missed that joke..."

I'm going to guess you're British since you're so keen on flaunting your superiority complex.

1. Chris007
          Trollface

Re: WTF !?! @AC 10:45 GMT

truth hurts doesn't it

3. danR2

'Standards are the enemy of innovation' --$teve Job$

4. Annihilator
      WTF?

@A Non e-mouse - yup, selectively quoting and missing off the end of that paragraph (namely "not that anyone sane was suggesting that") is a clever way of getting a different point across. Or did you just stop reading at that point and rush to the comments?

3. The FunkeyGibbon

I'm actually interested in the new iPhone

Not because I'll be buying one, I have a 5 that I got as a reasonable cost upgrade on my old 4, but because this will be the first utterly Jobs-Free device Apple have done in years. This will be the one that proves whether the magic was in Apple or Jobs...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm actually interested in the new iPhone

but it won't be Job's free, 99% will still be the same old stuff with some new shiny bits added on.

1. danR2

The shiny bits: an upgrade of an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS.

The excitement builds...

1. Ted Treen
          Devil

@danR2

"...an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS..."

In much the same way that next year's offerings from Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley & Rolls-Royce are powered by a clone of a 129 year-old power plant?**

Pure sophistry^ old lad - and you (should) know it.

**1884: British engineer Edward Butler constructed the first petrol (gasoline) internal combustion engine. Butler invented the spark plug, magneto, coil ignition and spray jet carburetor, and was the first to use the word petrol.

^Pure sophistry:- a more polite and restrained way of saying "Utter bollocks"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @danR2

**1884: British engineer Edward Butler constructed the first petrol (gasoline) internal combustion engine. Butler invented the spark plug, magneto, coil ignition and spray jet carburetor, and was the first to use the word petrol.

--------------------------------

It's pronounced gasoline

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The shiny bits: an upgrade of an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS.

And this will be different from the next upgrade of Android how, exactly?

1. Joe Cooper
            Headmaster

"And this will be different from the next upgrade of Android how, exactly?"

Pedantically speaking, it's different cause while Android is cloned off an almost 50 year old OS, iOS is actually forked.

Something like UNIX > BSD > NeXTStep > OS X > iOS, or . . . something like that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://onscreencars.com/tv/the-homer-the-car-built-for-homer/

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This will be the one that proves whether the magic was in Apple or Jobs..."

Who gives a shit?

Sounds like Jobs knob'd all of his followers. Well, they are all knobs anyway, so no harm done.

4. Mark McNeill
    WTF?

Can't believe you didn't just ask

I read the article twice, and there's no mention of you asking Apple for comment.

I mean, you never know: Apple might have told you all about it, if you'd only asked.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does it remove this time?

I wonder what previously working services they will replace with Apple home grown rubbish this time around?

You can also bet it will come with a Android 360 degree photosphere copy too... I just hope they follow the open specs of photosphere, rather than the usual Apple way of creating things inferior and incompatible.

https://developers.google.com/panorama/metadata/

6. RainForestGuppy

and in other news

Researchers find conclusive proof that Bears do Sh*t in the woods.

Vatican confirms Pope is a catholic.

1. kyza

Re: and in other news

SCIENCE has also discovered the following:

Sun - 'hot'

Supernova - 'bright'

7. Big_Ted
    FAIL

Or

It could be that Apple are redoing the UI so it can do widgets, live data in tiles, live wallpaper etc etc

These will of course be completely new and patentable just like page turns in books.........

Move along non fanbois once agin there is nothing new to see here just the same old same old redone in a slightly different way with Bing and Facebook doing it all for you.......

1. Armando 123

Re: Or

@Big_Ted: You mean like they've had in the OS X desktop for seven years?

8. JaitcH
    FAIL

Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

I would have thought El Reg would have had something better to do than giving free publicity to Apple.who micro-manages almost everything that 'leaks' out.

Bet the purchasers of V5/iOS6 feel real happy that their recent purchases are now depreciating. Obviously Apply doesn't give a bucket of spit about it's customers.

At least they are keeping that part of the Job's 'legacy'. Wonder what they are going to do about the Scratchy Back feature?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

>I would have thought El Reg would have had something better to do than giving free publicity to Apple.who micro->manages almost everything that 'leaks' out.

-Surely every company that wishes to maximise profits (read: all of them) should put as much care into its public perception? I went to the cinema last night and saw an ASUS advertisement featuring Megan Fox talking to dolphins... WTF?

>Bet the purchasers of V5/iOS6 feel real happy that their recent purchases are now depreciating. Obviously >Apply doesn't give a bucket of spit about it's customers.

-I'm pretty sure that people who buy MK.V of a successful product line know that there will be a MK.VI at some point. Sorry, but as long as I have been buying computers, a faster model has always been available for less a few months after I've stumped up my cash. How is this different? A product's ability to do the job for which it was sold remains unaffected just because a later model is released.

1. Simon Harris
        Happy

Re: Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

-I'm pretty sure that people who buy MK.V of a successful product line know that there will be a MK.VI at some point. Sorry, but as long as I have been buying computers, a faster model has always been available for less a few months after I've stumped up my cash.

So, still a long way to go before it reaches the processing power and advanced graphics of a MK14 then!

9. larokus

Screen Size??

Is it going to be 4.7 inches? HTC, Samsung, LG, and Sony are all such copycats of apple for making phones with the screen size apple had planned for late 2013

10. Rob

Or maybe...

"So the question here is not if Apple are developing a new iPhone, that’s obvious, the question is why let people know it's happening.

To which the answer is almost as obvious: so they'll write about it and keep the frenetic interest in all things Apple bubbling along until there's some real news to report."

... they needed to bump up their share price after it took a slight knock last year.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iPhone, like Facebook.

Meh

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"To which the answer is almost as obvious: so they'll write about it and keep the frenetic interest in all things Apple bubbling along until there's some real news to report. "

Yup! And keep the SAD lot happy for a bit longer.

Tragic!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Yup! And keep the SAD lot happy for a bit longer.

Did you mean Seasonal Affective Disorder? Or did your caps-lock key jam again?

Ironically, it is the likes of 'Obviously' who jump into Reg Apple threads with enthusiasm, unhindered as they are by positivity, originality of thought, or indeed thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and the cowards bleat on the sam old shite!

Is your iPad stuck?

13. mIRCat
    Big Brother

If no news is good new, what the hell does that make this article?

1. Captain DaFt

click bait.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. menotu
    Unhappy

iPad 2 and iPhones before the 5 will be dumped .. re upgrading to the new magical os.

16. Atonnis

I'd think it's more likely...

...to be an Engadget writer faking it. Without something Apple to speculate over, half of their writing team would probably be out of a job...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Will no one think of the children.......

who sold their virginity/kidney to buy an iPhone 4s/5 ????

What can they well to fund the new one??

(Sorry, there is a huge glut of souls, they are now essentially worthless)

18. Manu T

Oh swell, once it can record phonecalls like my 2005 Sony-ericsson K750i could, then wake me up. Otherwise piss off!

1. Simon Harris

Used to find that feature very useful when out shopping and the other half was at home reading out the shopping list and I couldn't be arsed didn't have anything to write it down.

2. John 62

Apart from the flaky joystick and the dodgy connector, that was a superb phone. I got an iPhone 3G when my k750i's vibration motor died and said dodgy connector meant charging was a delicate operation requiring a deft touch to get it to make a good connection.

Anyway, the k750i's battery lasted a long time, it charged quickly and more importantly it had pretty good bluetooth support so I could do all sorts of cool stuff with it from my mac, like making phone calls, reading and writing text messages (thank-you BluePhone!) and using it as a remote control for my mac.

I have no idea why Apple doesn't at least allow you to pair your iPhone with your mac for making phone calls and sending/receiving texts.

19. Herby

Obviously...

This is a new iPad model, the iPad micro edition.

Or at least that is what my BOFH says.

20. VeganVegan
    Happy

iPhone 7.2, iOS 7.3

Dear Reg,

Please check your web logs.

You should see an 'iPhone 7.2' running 'iOS 7.3' as the user agent.

You too can boast of visits by shiny new devices & software!

You are welcome.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll believe it when...

...a prototype is 'accidentally' lost in a local bar/cafe.

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: I'll believe it when...

or when prototypes are «stolen» in a daring operation which involves tying up the cleaning staff at gunpoint....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like