back to article 'Shake to charge', similar crapps foul up Amazon Android store

Security researchers have sniffed out dodgy apps floating around the Amazon App Store for Android-powered devices. Roel Schouwenberg, a Kaspersky Lab Expert, ran into the "malware" while looking for benchmarking apps for his Kindle Fire HD on the online shop. The "Internet Accelerator Speed Up" program, for example, is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes you wonder how many apps there are on Android if you eliminate all the crapware?

It's almost like these apps are allowed in to bump up the numbers.

1. David Neil
      Trollface

App stores

How many fart apps does a mobile phone need?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Denial

This CANNOT be true, malware on Android phones from such a reputable company as Amazon.

Never in a million year.... This is just the press (Daily Mail) making up stories....

Open source software stops malicious code, every Android user knows that...

Lies lies lies.....

Got to be an Apple Troll.....

Ah to hear the sweet music of self denial from Fandroid Androids....

Music of the Angels.... So sweet and I feel soooo soooo smug.

Have to go, my iPhone the Great Satan of all mobiles is ringing, still at least I know it's not dialling out premium rate numbers without me knowing....

1. Dana W
        Happy

Re: Denial

I don't know who you are, but You rule.

As usual they can dish it out, but they can't take it.

3. Chris007
      Happy

Oh look Mr Fanbois

is here and anonymous again.

How big and brave of him/her (but likely some 23 yr old spotty bloke who thought his iDevice would get him laid but given how ugly he is even the Devil struggled to make hell freeze over for that one)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shock...

Rubbish products exist in an open market place. I wish the world was perfect, sadly it is not, so check before you buy/download!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

So that explains.....

Why I keep shaking my Android phone, but it never seems to charge!!

/Shock!

/Horror!!

4. An(other) Droid
    Joke

It does charge, I tell ya...

The only that gets charged when I shake my NFC enabled Android, is my bank account

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The curators are busy

Obviously the curators at Amazon are too busy copying Apple's trademark applications as their own:

"Earlier this month, Amazon filed for two trademarks for extended warranty and servicing under the Kindle brand. Turns out that the description of these services was lifted verbatim from Apple’s AppleCare trademarks."

http://gigaom.com/2012/12/21/amazon-kindle-applecare/

All that copy & paste is a lot of work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Re: The curators are busy

I wonder if they copyrighted the trademark application...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh, for the love of Christ, can we actually have just ONE article about SOMETHING involving a mobile phone without the comments consisting entirely of a fucking flamewar? Look at yourselves, people! LOOK! AT! YOUR! SELVES!

Aaaaahhhgg!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nevermind the comments

Have you looked at the articles?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nevermind the comments

I tried, but I have a vaguely apple shaped head. The moment I see my reflection my mind goes blank, then when I come to I'm surrounded by broken glass.

7. frank ly

In the Google Play store ....

... try finding a good looking analogue clock that _doesn't_ require internet access, or even access to your phone state and more. (The ICS clock requires no permissions but isn't what I'd call 'attractive' - personal opinion.)

1. PaulR79

Re: In the Google Play store ....

Good looking is a personal opinion. What I like you may find repulsive and vice versa. Regardless I found a few that are fine and require no permissions to run and one of them is a live wallpaper.

Clock Live Wallpaper (Sonica) and it's free.

RIM 4x3 Analog Clock

SWAP 4x3 Analog Clock Widget

Glow Legacy Clock Widget

Simple Analog Clock

I didn't spend ages looking so what were you doing? They may not be what you want but none need any special permissions. It isn't that hard

2. ContentsMayVary

Re: In the Google Play store ....

The Nexus 4 clock looks good to me. Doesn't need special permissions, and it's free.

But if you want to pay for one (shudder), there's ones like "SImple Analog Clock" which look ok.

8. Tom 35

Malicious apps?

malicious?

They don't do anything, good or bad. They are crap, not malicious apps.

I think you have confused "Security researchers" with "Anti-virus sales people".

9. gort
    FAIL

There's nothing "malicious" about these apps. Doing nothing is hardly malware. Just more hype from an antivirus vendor trying to drum up business.

10. h3

I thought Amazon tested each of them properly ? (At least that is what they were charging the fee for).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

no fee

the Amazon appstore (unlike Play, iOS, Win8 and the phones) is free

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: no fee

"the Amazon appstore is free"

Well, punters certainly got their money's worth with the apps described in the article.

11. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Shaking works!

When the telly remote starts playing up, plonk the batteries out, rub 'em, shake 'em swap them over and shout "oh for fucks sake will you work you fucking bugger fuckers!" and they always work again for another couple of channel changes! So don't dis this shake to charge app guys, its magic yeah! It works!

12. Ian 55

Does anyone use the Amazon App (sic) Store

.. to do anything than 'buy' the free program of the day?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does anyone use the Amazon App (sic) Store

Before they realize the free version is last years version.... And that Amazon app store is a worthless peice of shit, and a malware vector (you have to disable device security to use it.. Why nobody mentions that - A REAL STORY, rather than this crap).

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Does anyone use the Amazon App (sic) Store

I tried to install an app as a test for my blog. I got charged €0.00 which I find bizarre. The app downloaded, failed to install with a message that didn't even think to suggest a reason. No obvious way to reinstall (other, I guess, than to try "buying" it again). It's still on my account that I installed this app. Lots of redraw bugs, things that were confused or unclear, an a market app that ran like treacle. [SonyEricsson Xperia Mini Pro; Android 2.3.something]

And that's what they considered suitable for first release.

I duly deleted it, haven't been back. Life's too short...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My hatred

My hatred towards Apple is so great, I can't read an article like this without thinking they're trying to glorify Apple App Store in comparison to Amazon Android Store. What else could be the reason, and why am I mentioning Apple in the comments about Amazon? I believe there is a grand conspiracy where all the media are paid by Apple to praise them or thrash the competition. Every time I see anything remotely connected to Apple, such as the term App (AARGGHHH), frankly I go nuts. I am emotionally exhausted from browsing forums all day long, trying to find proofs of my conspiracy theories.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like