back to article Lego quad-copter: your ultimate drone nightmare

Two cameras, four engines, a GPS-driven autopilot: meet the Lego drone. Documented at a site called sUASNews, here, the quad-copter-style drone was built by the sons of a programmer and Lego enthusiast, Ed Scott. A central structure houses power and electronics, including a Go Pro camera to record the drone’s surroundings and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

Amazingly cool and easy to repair

2. tomban
    Go

Other than the use of the word 'Legos', outstanding achievement!

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

'Legos'

Just what my Granddad used to call it. And given I got most of my Lego at Christmas, an appropriate memory.

3. Stacy
    Black Helicopters

Wow, just wow!

I love reading things like this!

Makes me feel really guilty for not spending more time at the weekends on hobby projects though...

Black helicopter, well, because, you know :)

4. Steven Gray

Robust

Pretty good - Lego isn't the lightest of materials to build with.

But the video... that was fine until the closing moments where the camera operator consistently fails to zoom in on the 'copter. It's there! The dot! Right there! Zoom in on it, dammit! But no... not until the last moment... sigh.

1. LaeMing
      Boffin

Re: Robust

Unfortunately, the camera operator appears to be trying to track that dot through a handicam viewfinder (eyepiece or screen) which is likely a lot lower resolution than is being recorded. He genuinely can't see that dot, most likely!

Plus the more you zoom, the smaller your angle of view, and tracking-by-hand anything moving at range is very difficult unless you are highly skilled (to experienced professional level).

1. Tom 7

Re: Robust - next!!!

so what we need now is a lego steadicam!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bit harsh when the nearest you probably get to any of this is sitting there criticising others for not being great cameramen.

1. Steven Gray

Well I've just survived this years office Christmas do, and, quite frankly, don't give a fuck. But the camera work was shoddy and should not have been included in the video. So there. Happy Christmas everybody!

5. K
    Thumb Up

Technic LEGO for 21st Century..

Please give the designs and software to LEGO so they can mass-produce it :D

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: Technic LEGO for 21st Century..

Please give the designs and software to LEGO so they can mass-produce it :D over-charge for it :(

(Seriously, I never realised how damn expensive Lego is. Had loads of it as a kid, but recently bought some as a pressie for my fiancée's cousin and could not believe how much they are charging for even the simplest of kits!)

1. tirk
        Thumb Up

Re: Cost of LEGO

1. Buy *very* cheaply at boot sales

2. Tie loosely in pillowcase or similar

3. Run through washing machine

4. Profit!

...OK, so not great for a present for a child, but if you need *lots* for (ahem) grown-up projects...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost of LEGO

"(ahem) grown-up projects"

I had the image of some Lego themed fetish dungeon...

1. tirk
            Joke

Re: ...Lego themed fetish dungeon...

Always, always count the bricks before and after!

2. Annihilator

Re: Technic LEGO for 21st Century..

Kits are very expensive. Generic sets of blocks, a lot cheaper. You're usually paying for the design (or copyrights for the Star Wars, Harry Potter, LOTR et al) when you buy specific kits.

Just buy the blocks, let the kid's imagination do the design - will be a lot more satisfying too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Just cool.

A Dad that plays with lego and makes cool stuff. Oh to be young again and have a Dad like that :)

PS Merry Xmas to all El Reg peeps!

1. AceRimmer

Re: Just cool.

you could be that dad

1. Stoneshop

you could be that dad

Well, in my case, no.

I have barely enough time for projects like this, and then to have offspring claiming time? No thanks.

1. Frank Bough

Wow, you're busier than the prime minister.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Busier than the PM?

Nope, just fewer staff.

Although I'm still surprised that his personal protection officers managed to forget his kids. That's pretty sloppy.

7. JDX Gold badge

Did anyone see the similar thingie on GadgetMan, I can't remember the name!

1. ukgnome
      Thumb Up

Are you talking about the AR drone? It's a fantastic piece of kit, limited only by the range of your iDevices wifi http://ardrone2.parrot.com/

1. Annihilator

"It's a fantastic piece of kit, limited only by the range of your iDevices"

And wallet

1. Anonymous Coward
          IT Angle

No, the one by Parraot will leave you. The one I saw tested at an air show went up, up, up and away! Not sure if the man ever found it, it almost didn't seem possible to find. There was talk of a few people that they hope it didn't come down on the interstate. The interstate was about 10 miles away, but by the look of that thing going, it wasn't going to crash any time soon. I assume there is not default check to test wether human control has happened over X amount ot time, which makes for shotty firmware. It was funny, but then again it wasn't mine.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Really? Bloody hell

That is seriously shoddy and rather dangerous.

- The APM inside this Lego copter can go so far as to return-to-base under full autopilot should it lose contact!

8. thomas k.
    Black Helicopters

welcome, etc.

I, for one, welcome our flying soon-to-be Lego overlords.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: welcome, etc.

Before you know it, we will see Lego quad-copters snatching toddlers...

9. M7S
    Mushroom

Superior Format

You wouldn't see this in Playmobil, the North Korea of children's toys with their dodgy space program and total lack of real world application. Lego is where it's at.

I'm sure the spanners will want to chip in about Meccano.

Let the format wars begin!

1. tirk
      Gimp

Re: Superior Format

2013 will be the year of Meccano, mark my words!

1. pPPPP

Re: Superior Format

I remember getting Playmobil instead of lego one year. I was SO upset.

Had some Meccano too, from a jumble sale. It was ace.

10. I like noodles

One of the good things about this is...

... being Lego, you're only limited by your imagination as to what you fly - next week you could be the proud flyer of a petrol station, for example. Or more likely to cause fun, a cigar-shaped object or mysterious disc.

It also occurs that flying it up the side of a block of flats or a hotel could result in some interesting camera footage.

1. NightFox
      Happy

Re: One of the good things about this is...

"...a mysterious disc", as in a disc with more jaggies than an 8-bit VGA display? I guess you could do some clever anti-aliasing though with different colour bricks?

11. Anonymous Custard
    Pint

Love it

Now if they can use it to go find our lost Playmonaut, then it'll be pints (or milkshakes for the kids) all round!

12. Eponymous Cowherd
    Joke

Well I'm scared

Bricking it, in fact.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Well I'm scared

Get worried when the kids start adding Lego Hellfire missiles!

1. Gary Bickford

Nerf FTW!!!

I think it would be cool to adapt a nerf gun to one of these. It would be great to have aerial wars with several of these. Or, if one wanted some serious marking, paintball guns! :D A good paintball hit might even cause some flight handling challenges but I don't think would necessarily knock the thing out of action.

13. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Understatement of the week, "It seems to fly well enough"

14. Ross K Silver badge

Flying "Legos"

Dear Americans, it's LEGO not "Legos". Get it in your thick heads.

1. Pierre Castille
      Headmaster

Re: Flying "Legos"

Ross,

You don't make friends by correcting people in an insulting manner.

Accept my criticism graciously.

Happy Christmas to you all

Pierre

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who wants to be friends with Americans?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Irish!

15. jungle_jim
    Pint

I can't wait until my son is old enough for

Lego

Meccano

building a tot rod together.

It is going to be so much fun!

Beer: Because that is how he was conceived.

16. Moonshine
    Stop

GLUING LEGO?

In our house you would be summarily executed for such a crime. OUTRAGEOUS!!

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: GLUING LEGO?

Perhaps.

In which case you better don't try building from LEGO anything capable of flight, lets it disintegrate in the air and hit a person with fast rotating blades.

1. Return To Sender
        Joke

Re: GLUING LEGO?

"... and hit a person with fast rotating blades."

We don't see many people round our way with any rotating blades, let alone fast ones. It's a nice neighbourhood :-)

17. DJ 2
    Thumb Up

I've just got my daughter intrested in lego.. I think I might be helping her a lot christmas morning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

"...I think she will be helping me a lot christmas morning."

Fixed that for you. :)

2. NightFox
      Facepalm

Oh how I've tried to do the same, even stooping to the depths of buying Lego 'Friends' sets, which even make regular Lego look amazing value for money

18. Scott Pedigo
    Trollface

I guess Israel will have to block the import of LEGO into the Gaza Strip and Palestine now. Otherwise the next thing will be LEGO-copter attacks on settlements. Using a Patriot (or Israeli equivalent) to shoot them down will not be cost effective. The Israelites will either have to infect the flight control system software with some nefarious virus which causes the rotors to overspeed, or else build Israeli LEGO anti-copters which seek out and destroy any other copters with the wrong color pattern.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      Joke

@Scott Pedigo

I guess Israel will have to block the import of LEGO into the Gaza Strip and Palestine now.

Earlier I was thinking along the lines of CIA-controlled LEGO drones launching a missile strike on a house full of people celebrating a wedding somewhere in Afghanistan.

Ole Christiansen would be turning in his grave.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Scott Pedigo

"......I guess Israel will have to block the import of LEGO into the Gaza Strip and Palestine now....." The Gaza Strip is in Palestine - duh!

".......Otherwise the next thing will be LEGO-copter attacks...." It doesn't look capable of carrying even a grenade so I suspect the jihadis will stick with their usual suicide bomber tactics instead.

"....... on settlements......." There are no settlements in the Gaza Strip, not even the Jewish families that have lived in Gaza since Egyptian times. Duh again!

".....Using a Patriot (or Israeli equivalent) to shoot them down will not be cost effective....." No, but a shotgun would deal with it very well, and probably at far less cost than the Lego kit.

".....The Israelites will either have to infect the flight control system software with some nefarious virus which causes the rotors to overspeed...." Simpler just to jam the weak GPS signal and/or remote control frequencies. Of course, they could always triangulate on the remote radio controller and drop a shell on him, long before the "drone" even crosses the border wire.

".....else build Israeli LEGO anti-copters which seek out and destroy any other copters with the wrong color pattern." We'll, that might be a possibility, seeing as Israel has developed the most technically advanced economy in the Mid East. I suppose the lesson there is winners have Apache gunships whilst losers would have to go buy a Lego kit.

19. Mr C

does the lego actually contribute to something?

Besides looking cool and being the platform that holds it all together, do they actually do anything lego-specific? Did they use any cogs, weels, axles, anything that warranted using lego?

I know their previous model was based on mindstorms and had some cogwheels in it - dunno about this one though, if not then they could've used something lighter and stronger like metal or plastics as platform.

1. Andrew Newstead

Re: does the lego actually contribute to something?

Fun?

Besides, according to the article, once designed the kids had big hand in building it - easy to do with Lego.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: does the lego actually contribute to something?

This was my thought exactly. The Lego seems to just be used as a body-kit for a quad-copter made from other parts.

20. Wombling_Free
    Happy

Dear Lego factory.

Please make this as a kit before next Christmas.

Please

Please

Please

Here, have my wallet, just take it!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stealth

Has it got stealth mode for flying over Iranian air-space without being detected?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Awesome work!!

They need to fit this with a Nerf rocket launcher, and you have the complete pre-teen anti-terrorist avenging angel!

23. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

This is brilliant!!!

'nuff said!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But does it blend?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like