back to article Samsung spaffs $3.9bn on chip factory in TEXAS

Samsung's has announced that it will be spending $3.9bn upgrading its iPhone chip-making factory in Austin. The South Korean firm said it had finalised the deal after talks with state government officials in Texas. Samsung announced the plans last week, and got the governmental go-ahead last night, according to a report from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Justicesays
    Devil

Clearly getting a handle

On how the impartial Texan patent court works....

2. Michael Hawkes
    Stop

Football fields

Is that a new unit of measurement for the Register? Shouldn't it be measured in doormats?

1. DavCrav

Re: Football fields

The football field is a derived unit, expressed in terms of the standard unit nanoWales.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/page2.html

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Football fields

Is that a U.S. football field or an Imperial one?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done US gov.

Blackmail & extortion still paying. We know how all that nonsense with Apple and judge Kouch will end now then.

4. frank ly

I thought that ...

..Apple were taking steps to pull away from Samsung as component suppliers; after some recent unpleasantness between the two of them. ??

1. jai

Re: I thought that ...

Just because they're currently making chips for Apple, doesn't mean that in the future, they can't use the same fabrication technology to make chips for someone else.

This is a sign that Samsung are committed to making chips, if Apple go elsewhere, then there's plenty of other people wanting chips with the specs that this plant can produce.

5. Hud Dunlap
    Black Helicopters

What is it going to cost

I live in texas. How many of my tax dollars are going to create 200 jobs? How much money is perry and his buddies making off of this?

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: What is it going to cost

You live in Texas but pay tax in Korea?

6. FreeTard

28C on Dec 1 2012...

Great place for a temperature sensitive FAB!

Still, it's a nice place with nice people.

1. asdf

yep

It still snows there occasionally though. Last time anybody had to shovel snow where I live Roosevelt was president.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The must have got some massive subsidy - a South Korean firm to open a fab in Texas?

1. Sir Sham Cad

They already had one there.

They're just making it even bigger because I think that's some sort of rule in Texas.

8. Justice
    Thumb Up

Samsung... I see what you did there.

Opening a plant in the US makes them more US friendly, employing 'mericans in their manufacturing process will certainly curry favour with the courts when they see Samsung are supporting the US economy rather than just another 'yellow peril' (if I may use that archaic vernacular without coming across all Frankie Boyle)

It's a long game.

1. O RLY
      Trollface

Re: Samsung... I see what you did there.

Really long since Samsung has had a manufacturing facility in Austin since 1996, back when Apple were making Newtons and nearly out of business. You'd think that if Samsung were prescient enough to prepare a patent fight over phones then, they would have just patented rounded corners then :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung... I see what you did there.

Presumably it's easier to see protectionism coming (in general) than to predict a "patent" for rounded corners on a rectangle (the specific vehicles of that protectionism).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You all seem to forget

You all seem to forget there is significant chipmaking in Texas already, for example Texas Instruments - own an OMAP based phone?

1. asdf

Re: You all seem to forget

Nobody who has ever spent time in the semiconductor industry forgets that though TI is more Dallas based than Austin. Don't forget AMD got their start with lots of fabs in Austin as well though that is probably long gone by now as well as Motorola which is Freescale now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like