back to article Start-up boost planned for Windows Vista applications

Microsoft is planning updates to the .NET Framework 3.5 later this year to improve installation and performance of applications running on Windows Vista. This summer will see changes to the setup framework, the Common Language Runtime (CLR), and Windows Programming Framework (WPF). It's hoped that these changes will speed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pierre

Backward compatible?

From Microsoft? I must be dreaming here.

2. Karl Lattimer

I wonder...

How much Microsoft have learned from the mono project...

3. Jon Hulatt

WPF

er... WPF was Windows Presentation Foundation last time I looked. And Extensible Application Markup Language was also known as XAML.

Sort your QA out, Reg

4. Craig Foster
    Flame

Too Late

An update to .Net is too late for me...

.Net corrupted on my Vista Ultimate. Various MS blogs and articles suggested ngen updates, sfc /scannow, etc with a last resort of reinstalling.

I'm sure reinstalling will fix it, but as far as I'm concerned... it's WinXP TCP/IP stack all over again. If it munts the system that badly, a reinstall from scratch is the only real real fix since Vista installs .NET as built-in components. I've even tried installing SP1 (from TechNet)

That said, my machine now runs WinXP Pro again and I'll reconsider Vista only if I get desperate.

5. Rick Damiani

Backward Compatable...

...must mean that it will be able to exist side-by-side with the 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 .NET frameworks. I mean, the idea that a newer version might possibly *replace* an older version is just too absurd to contemplate.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

So what this means:

"the updates will make it quicker and easier for applications to be installed and started by users without changing an application's code and *without re-compiling the application.*" (my emphasis)

is basically that Microsoft admit that their own programming is crap and they can finally be bothered to fix some of it...

7. TeeCee Gold badge

@Pierre

If it were not for MS's addiction to backwards-compatibility, world + dog would probably be running some derivative of OS/2 and the x86 architecture would be dead, buried, resurrected in the hereafter and sitting on the right hand of Bill by now.

This is the company that sold DOS-with-a-GUI-front-end for several years, just so that in extremis you could drop the GUI and run your ill-behaved POS DOS program natively.

Don't act surprised that they're providing back-compatibility. Then again, don't act surprised when it doesn't work either.....

8. David S
    Linux

@TeeCee

"This is the company that sold DOS-with-a-GUI-front-end for several years, just so that in extremis you could drop the GUI and run your ill-behaved POS DOS program natively."

Was that the only reason? Purely for backwards-compatability? Not just 'cos it was considerably easier (and cheaper, presumably) to run Windows as a POS GUI on top of the POS OS?

Don't get me wrong, though. Some of the best OSs have been / are GUIs on top of CLIs, but I have to say I'm not sure Windows was ever among the truly great or good...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like