back to article eBay boycott results in mixed feedback

Today marks the end of a week-long boycott of eBay from a semi-organized group of "power sellers" who feel shortchanged over recent pricing changes. eBay announced late last month it would charge auctioneers between 25 and 50 per cent less to list their items on the site — but then take a larger slice of fees when the item …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson

Um

Seems a bit of a pointless protest to me - won't it just be the sellers themselves who lose out? A week's worth of fees is pocket change to eBay.

If they're unhappy with the changes maybe they should look at other places to sell their wares - eBay ain't the only marketplace.

2. Jeremy
    Stop

Isn't the point of a boycott...

...that you get the word out so that people actually know about it and follow it through? Maybe I've been under a rock but I didn't hear a word about this until now.

3. Gareth

Re: Ian Ferguson

Actually eBay pretty much is the only general marketplace... there are niche sites around which do well for very specific items, but no general marketplace where you can auction off enough stuff to make it a full time business.

eBay has gone properly downhill in the last 6-12 months, to the point where I'm considering cancelling my account. I've certainly stopped selling for the time being as I've had far more problem with scam buyers than scam sellers.

They're trying to turn it into some kind of eCommerce Platform rather than a tat bazaar, which sucks for small time sellers who just want beer money or to clear out their spare room.

First viable competition and I'm out of there.

4. b166er

13% (apparently, 13% on it's own doesn't count as a title)

If that's true, and these sellers have are indeed responsible for 13% of the listings on FleaBay, perhaps they should consider setting up a rival.

5. Mr Black
    Pirate

Sellers last line of defense!!!!!!!

www.bidderblacklist.com

6. karin r

ebay boycott ectended until eternity

I have extended the boycott already by leaving the site permenantly for ecrater.com http://theeclecticcollector.ecrater.com/

I was mainly a buyer and occasional seller on ebay (venturecrew145) with 100% positive feedback as both. But what sane person would continue to do business with a company that treats us the way ebay does?

I spent the week of the boycott looking for a new home and defining the reasons it is no longer viable for me to continue a business relationship with ebay.

1- Mr Donahoe stated he wants to rid the site of the embarassing sellers of "flea market" items- otherwise known to buyers as unique vintage items and what a great many of us searched ebay for- in favor of large powersellers who drop ship their items (JUNK) from China.

2- If I wished to continue to sell my items on ebay, I would be required to pay a 66% increase in fees.

3- If I did sell an item I would be required to use paypal, ebay's own bank, to receive the money from the sale and pay them a fee as well.

4- Paypal will also now be holding for 21 days with no intrest, the money paid to the small seller, while ebay still requires that I ship the item as soon as paypal receives the funds, meaning that I have to ship an item using MY money to cover shipping! And if the buyer ends up deciding they want my item for free, and initiates a charge back with paypal, I can bet they get their money back, leaving me out the following- Money lost on listing fee paid to ebay, money lost to ebay on Final valuation fee when the item was "sold" errr "Stolen", Money I had to pay to ship the item, MY item which I will never get back, Fees to paypal for money I NEVER received AND........

5 To add insult to injury, I will only be allowed to leave this wonderful buyer POSITIVE feedback, while I receive Negative feedback for being robbed!

6- BUT.....it does not end there. Additionally, for the pleasure of paying 66% more in fees to list my item, ebay has created a new DEFAULT search matrix, called "Best Match" which will give the powersellers selling the same items as me TOP placement in the search results, meaning my item, because I am a small seller, will never be seen, therefore never purchased :)

WOW! What a deal ebay is! No wonder buyers and sellers alike are leaving in droves!

7. Jim Adams
    Go

All this pretence NO evidence

On Sunday i contacted the register to show them the figures ebay is claiming but i am still in the dark

http://gauctions.wordpress.com

Obviously ebay doesnt reveal its figures because during the weekend after dutch Bank advised eBay stock was a sell stock, Hundreds of Test auctions of "Lots" of items popped up (ps each lots contained almost 200 items if i sell a lot of 10 its counted as 10 different auctions)

So these test auctions were then factored into the ebay auctions list in order to make the auction site seem as if it is functioning properly

There are two things important here

This whole thing is mainly for the tax man in the last two weeks you would probably know that if your a seller you may have been sent the seller status email saying you would need to register your status personal or Buiness selller. this is all an easy way for the tabulation of businesses trading on ebay many people i know have said on the 1st of may their eBay account will be empty and they will leave the site for good.

And i dont blame them considering the fees and then the looming eyes now of the taxman

eBay was good whilst it lasted but it is time to stop flogging the dead dog

Pier the founder has left so why are all you eBayers still thinking people in suits carry the same ideal as a Smart guy that started the place

Even now when you hear pier (ebay founder) speak you feel that his lawyer is speaking for him not him anymore.

The Simple thing now left for you guys to do is GO SIGN UP for an EBay ALternative simple as that

www.ebid.net

I use this site already i would say its very simple people you made eBay and now eBay is no longer good for me so why not go somewhere else and make another place

You can see images of ebays Test auctions

to list 1000000 you need to list 300 lots of 3333.3333 items Now considering i saw auctions of 287 selling at 3million no wonder eBay numbers went high and above

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Crap

For the past however number of years I have seen in various forums saying over the last 6-12 months ebay has gone really down hill.

I don't think they have, I think they've always been crap and if you have only just noticed you've a higher tolerance for the crap they do.

They've apparently been getting worse over the last 6-12 months for the last 5-10 years. How crap can they be? It's completely full of scam sellers and scam buyers. I wouldn't bother with it at all.

I used it for about 6 months a number of years back as a seller and a buyer, in all that time I never saw a post saying they'd improved, it was crap then, it's crap now.

9. Greg

I have to agree

I've always sung eBay's praises, but recently it seems they're losing the plot. They don't want to be seen as a place where little fiddly items are sold by private sellers, but that's precisely the thing that makes eBay so brilliant. It's also the principle they based their own TV adverts on!

I don't go on eBay to pay nearly-high-street prices for Chinese imports and Hong Kong knock-offs. I go on eBay to find the stuff I can't find anywhere else. Collectible games, old out-of-print stuff, little rarities, that sort of thing. And I know I'm not alone. But this kind of shopper/seller is being pushed off eBay, because the people in charge have decided that their image (of themselves, as far as I can tell) is more important than their popularity or their massive profitability. It really depresses me when I search for a game these days, and instead of getting 200 small auctions by private sellers I get 200 Buy-It-Now auctions from 3 power sellers, all at just below high street price.

I'm reluctant to sell on eBay these days, too. I put a certain games console on eBay right before Christmas, and I was shocked at the amount eBay wanted in fees (and then again through PayPal). To see those fees increase is ridiculous, and coupled with the new rules I'm not sure I'd sell there again. Still buying almost everything I own there, naturally. ;-)

I get the feeling that if someone were to reinvent Ebay: Original Flavour, they'd get more than a few customers. I know I'd pop along.

10. Paul Young
    Heart

I love Ebay

So what if they've put their prices up

Have you all noticed that everything is getting more expensive?

I don't see anyone moaning about rising petrol or bread prices!!!

I've been using ebay for years now

Both my wife and myself buy and sell on the site

I've NEVER had a major problem, only one slight glitch

I buy and sell all sorts of things, high and low value no problems

The drop shippers from China do confuse the searches slightly

but if you want a bargin, you can find one.

I've purchased from China on a number of occasions and never

had a problem.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No longer an auction house?

I've long been of the opinion that eBay has wanted to move away from auctioning stuff anyway.

It started off as a place where anyone could put almost anything up for auction to the highest bidder, but for years now I've seen search results poisoned by countless 'power seller' items which are set price sales. Not only that, but how many actions are now VAT added items?

Basically they're suffering from post-dotcom-boom-syndrome ... shareholders piling on pressure to increase their returns result in customer or user friendly features getting steamrollered in the relentless process of 'monetisation'. Any time you get shareholders and investors involved in a project, priorities soon enough become distorted so its them first / customers second.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's completely full of scam sellers and scam buyers.

"It's completely full of scam sellers and scam buyers."

In over 300 transactions across seven years I've had only one problem with a scam buyer who gave positive feedback, then did a chargeback for £4. The postal address was confirmed, but both Ebay and Paypal did nothing. I would expect both of those accounts to be nuked, but Ebay and Paypal have no problem with this behaviour.

13. jeffrey

hmmm

It started off as a place where anyone could put almost anything up for auction to the highest bidder, but for years now I've seen search results poisoned by countless 'power seller' items which are set price sales. Not only that, but how many actions are now VAT added items?

ebay are changing it so that VAT must be included not added, and if you don't want to see fixed priced items just click on the auctions only tab.

14. censored

What's the problem??

Branson, Gates, Jobs and Trump don't seem the need to give 'feedback' to people who buy off them...

15. Gilbert Wham

@Paul Young:

"I don't see anyone moaning about rising petrol or bread prices!!!"

Really? Good Lord. What accounts for this phenomenon? Do you spend the ENTIRE time with your head in a bucket of sand? Are you constantly high? Is that it?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Ebay is playing God, nobody can touch it

I don't know why people bother to use ebay, as a buyer the site is full of scammers, ebay don't care if you got conned or not as long as they get the fees from the seller.

As a seller, security is poor, every now and then seller tend to receive ebay notification that some people has used a stolen account to bid in their listing, they came up with a superb idea to counter the scammers, they double team with paypal (which is the same company BTW) to form a cartel that double charge you by forcing you to use paypal as the only method of payment. By then, they have already pocketed over 10% of your sold item. And Paypal is the worse financial institution and so unregulated, no interest given to the credit balance, it takes 7working days to transfer your OWN money to your OWN bank account, while others take 3, they can freeze your account, ANY TIME they want with no apparent reason, they dip into your account and credit your money back to the buyer if someone make a complaint of your item after 5months despite you acted properly and the item was sent as described, they limit the amount you can transfer out from your OWN account, so they fully understand the method of "earning money using somebody's money'. this is only a tip of the iceberg, visit www.paypalsucks.com, more horrific stories can be found. So who is the biggest scammer after all? Do they care? Who can actually bring them down?

but why people still using them? The answer is clear, they are the only auction site attract sufficient traffics that sell your products and we just have to live with that or make no sale. Will the power sellers' protest succeed? No because too many people have now relied ebay to earn their livings and the causal sellers will not bother about that 1 or 2% increase cost or inability to penalize unpaid buyer. Enough said, may the peace be with all ebay sellers and buyers in any circumstance.

17. Francis Fish
    Stop

@Paul Young - second comment

they charge a percentage - so when they put up prices they go up in real terms. Inflation means that the amounts paid for things will go up over time, and they will make more money anyway from their standard percentage. So they could leave it alone and inflation will take care of itself anyway.

So they are ripping people off, and they are greedy scumbags, and they do have you over a barrel.

18. linda Carey

Another Powerseller leave Ebay

I am a Powerseller on Ebay,I am also leaving,I have joined a new site,I beleive this is just the beginning of a large exodus.

19. George

Ebay needs to split into two

Ebay is trying to serve two communities and thus unable to serve either properly.

It should split into two companies - one as a real electronic marketplace for BUSINESSES selling (largely) consumer goods and another as a place for auctioning second hand / collectables / junk / etc mostly by INDIVIDUALS - i.e. what it started out life as. It was the arrival of businesses and the BUY IT NOW mentality that led us to where we are.

20. micheal
    Coat

But I still cant see...........

This ruling wont affect the "UK Based Seller" (loose term meaning he knows how to spell UK but has never even been there) that charges 99p and £59.00 postage, as eBay only take a percentage of the sale price NOT the postage cost.

Honest UK sellers will be worse off and the Chinese, Thai, Tai, Bulgarians etc whom will still make large sums of money off the postage side.

21. Dale

@Paul Young

Probably because people don't buy petrol and bread on eBay. In a discussion about food and transportation you might see people moaning about petrol and bread prices. In a discussion about eBay you likely won't see those people moaning because it would be considered off-topic.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

never sell on ebay again

Over the years I have bought and sold things on ebay (100% positive feedback) I have never had a problem that was not worked out quickly without having to involve ebay/paypal. However, given the new terms I may continue to buy from ebay but I will never sell on there again. They have ruined the level playing field only a fool would abide by those restrictions.

23. alistair millington

@censored

Brandons, gates, jobs and trumps don't require positive feedback to help bosster their rep at being a good seller. They require fan boys, economy of scale and the fact they control the market.

In a market of thousands selling the same kind of stuff, the feedback is your only clue as to how good someone is and this proposal says as Karen R pointed out, scumbag scammers can leave you negative feedback for anything from a dodgy photo to a mispelling to being in a bad mood and it can't be removed and can't be altered or defended against.

ebay has the economy bigger than some countries so it won't change much on a small boycott and they know that. So unless others start taking the sellers away then it won't.

Come on Amazon, play etc.

24. Paul
    Thumb Down

Never had any problems, but...

I'm no power ebay user: I've sold a handful of items, all somewhat low value, and bought a handful, including a couple of laptops. Had no trouble with any of the transactions.

Fees are fees, they're a business after all and can charge what the market will bear.

BUT...

Where I draw the line is their no longer permitting sellers to negatively feed back against bad buyers. WTF? Bad buyers are half the problem with ebay, so no wonder power sellers are ticked off. Someone who sells more items in a day than I've sold in 5 years will have seen it all and then some, and now eBay have effectively said "we don't give a crap if buyers mess you around".

25. Ed

It does seem rather stupid...

I have to agree with Ian Ferguson in that it seems like the sellers are actually going to be the ones on the losing end of the boycott. Ebay is just a cesspit of despair these days and now they want to charge you more for the privilege of wallowing in their muck.

26. Daniel B.
    IT Angle

@Paul Young

So, you didn't watch the news last year? That was *exactly* what sparked the Saffron Movement in Burma. And I've seen plenty of widespread protests against the (Mexican) government upping petrol prices. Are you blind???

Of course, there's the thing that eBay and food/transportation are not exactly on the same topic, so I doubt you'd see someone complaining about this in an IT site. ;)

Anyway, it seems like eBay's Latin American offspring is the one that's actually thriving, as over here distrust in these kind of systems is such that MercadoLibre has had to implement a functional buyer/seller protection, and still cares about individual sellers. So it seems like now I'll be the one actually finding rare stuff instead of the regular eBay users! Sheesh....

27. Jim Adams
    Go

JIm Adams

People people

If you think people are leaving now wait till may when they start their no Negetive feedback implemetation phase

Dont forget the most important part of that phase. now you will have decide you a business seller or you a Private seller (this is the most important for some small tiny proffit sellers)

As they will possibly come under the watchful eyes of the tax man faster and should maybe get in trouble for little things

I feel really bad for real ebayers who buy second hand goods on the site as the profit margins so pointless now why not sell on an www.ebid.net

or some other sites

I was checking the fees and i noticed that google checkout was 100% cheaper than paypal secondly ebay is also 100% more than ebid

so lets say this upset group of people now will only get worse the more time that goes past and lets say i really need to see an ebay alternative thats getting more viewers

I am just shocked that ebay isnt doing anything to ease the fraustrations of people

Funny ennough i hope soon this Boycott will pick up more media cause i love the fact that CNN took notice i am now wacthing their channel more

secondly i now read theregister more often

Morden media should take notice from people trying to speak for US little punks that sit at home and dont sell records or not wear pants in cars to million dollar do's

End of the day this ebay change affects millions and yet the coverage it has had is nothing less than shambolic

Till date i am sure if you asked 9 - 10 sellers if they are happy with ebay they would say one thing.

Anyways people After you read this Go to www.ebid.net register your account make use of the discounts for life scheme tell your mates and let them tell their mates cause when 1st of may comes it will be like UK digital swicth over only the people that are slow will not know whats going on

I am trying to ask Google to introduce an auction website cause i know in all my heart if one big name alternative comes out eBay is finished completly but for now we Can all make do with www.ebid.net and let ebay miss us for a bit

Tell your friends tell your mates get on to the net sign up to a few alternative

www.ebid.net

www.ioffer.com

Check my site comment on the request ebay alternative and see the TEST auctions eBay was running during the Boycot

28. Ben Sugden
    Thumb Up

@ alistair millington

"unless others start taking the sellers away then it won't"

I wholeheartedly agree. As a small scale seller I shan't be selling on ebay again, there are plenty of alternatives out there for getting rid of tat... like the bin.

(Although the local councils are likely to start charging us for that too)

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Just signed up with ebid.net and ioffer.com

Thanks for the alternatives, just signed up with them, have resend ebay for long long time. Traffics is not as good as ebay but hopefully will generate enough sales.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Next Boycott - MAY 1ST ONWARDS!

The next boycott is already being organised starting May 1st. Many people who joined the protest last week have already moved their items to alternative auction sites or have simply stopped selling on eBay.

The action IS being co-ordinated at the following two places:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/boycottebay/start

http://www.myspace.com/boycottebay

31. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"eBay remains largely unmoved"

As it always has.

The more I hear of Ebay, the less I feel like checking it out.

And Paypal doesn't make me feel better about the whole deal.

Now, sellers can't criticize scam buyers any more, and small-time sellers are being pushed out.

Once upon a time, Ebay held some interest in that it was a place for Joe Anybody to buy and sell stuff from other Joes. Now Ebay is just another white-collar Wallmart outlet. No interest here, people, move along.

32. mike
    Thumb Up

We’ve seen a huge surge in business at http://hosted4.us as a result of ebay raising their fees.

A lot of merchants seem to have decided that it’s more cost effective to pay a flat monthly fee and run their own website without someone taking a cut of their profit margins. We have sold more of our prepackaged ecommerce solutions http://qcs.hosted4.us in the past week than in the past few months.

Thanks eBay!

33. Lynda V.E.
    Alert

I am all for leaving eBay...

But there are SO MANY alternative sites....over 20 that I've noticed....and if I want to search for something (in my case vintage karaoke tapes) I don't have the time to browse multiple sites. There should be a program or site, if possible, that allows you to do a search for an item and give results from different auction sites.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like