back to article Kim Dotcom flashes his rack

Kim Dotcom has shown off his rack – in IT parlance, not with reference to his ample frame – by posting the picture below which he says depicts a node of mega.co.nz. Delivered today. One of many racks with many SERVERS! #EMMEEHGEEAYY twitter.com/KimDotcom/stat… — Kim Dotcom (@KimDotcom) December 18, 2012 A subsequent tweet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

MkUltraSensitive Novel Information and Explosive AI Precursors are a Potent Mix ....

..... CyberIntelAIgently Designed to Sublimely Server and Protect ESPecial Forces in Future Beings with Success

Nor is how Dotcom will pay for the new Mega.

Oh please, El Reg/Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor, haven't you yet grasped what the future bigger picture is all about and is going to be?

SMARTR Content, Freely Virtually Distributed will both generate and store massive revenue and colossal interest. And there may also be probably definitely any number of networking nodes dedicated to preserving and expanding anonymities and stealthy services with fabulous rewards of danegeld, fully authorised and ensured by such off the books and/or out of this world payments, to assure and insure existing vulnerable and bankrupt legacy dependent systems survival rather than catastrophic immediate collapse, albeit survival in a radically different role and phorm.

Didn't Kim DotCom make that clear to you yet? Or did you just not bother to ask him or not think enough about how IT is all going to work in a Brave New Orderly World with Virtual Machine Power Control of Command and Control Systems/SCADA Administrations/Pretentious Puppet Government?

1. beep54
      Devil

Re: MkUltraSensitive Novel Information and Explosive AI Precursors are a Potent Mix ....

I'd invoke Poe's Law on you, but that wasn't exactly a Fundamentalist rant. Still...

Re: Re: MkUltraSensitive Novel Information and Explosive AI Precursors are a Potent Mix ....

Re: MkUltraSensitive Novel Information and Explosive AI Precursors are a Potent Mix ....

I'd invoke Poe's Law on you, but that wasn't exactly a Fundamentalist rant. Still... ... beep54 Posted Wednesday 19th December 2012 06:51 GMT

Howdy, beep54.

Did I forget something to make everything pretty obvious? ;-)

Sorry about that :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Proof the Myans were right that the earth is coming to an end this Friday.

AmanamanfromMars 1 made sense.

2. Ole Juul

KD is using every ad op he can

And I don't blame him. That's how you get something big going. I do think his internet and PR skills are saving him money in this regard too. I personally have little use for his service at this time, but bringing encryption to the masses is indeed an interesting idea and we might see some surprises in his upcoming user base.

3. Jaydubya
    Happy

Perhaps not all the money went to pay the legal bills

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8036022/Dotcom-sells-cars-to-fund-legal-fight

4. Pomgolian
    Black Helicopters

Mansion?

"Dotcom’s famously flamboyant lifestyle bespeaks considerable wealth, inasmuch as he bought a colossal mansion"

..er....no. He's renting it. He wasn't allowed to buy it because at the time he didn't have permanent residence or something and was thus a "foreign investor". Shame for the spooks who spied on him illegally that he didn't remain so. He has now, apparently, been cleared to buy the mansion, but can't because his funds are frozen.

Can't argue about the cars though.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Mansion?

That line has been tidied up.

C.

1. Rukario
        Headmaster

Re: Mansion?

How about tidying up this one also?

"Dotcom has also let it be known he’s going to launch mega.co.nz t9o the press..." (last paragraph)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

thank god there are still some decent folks out there

kim dotcom ladies and gentlemen.

1. Psyx
      Facepalm

Re: thank god there are still some decent folks out there

"thank god there are still some decent folks out there"

Are we thinking of the same person?

I think you're confusing a slightly legally questionable business plan coupled with capitalist greed and a flair for publicity as 'decency'. You might as well apply the same label to any rich businessman who tries to stoke up 'rebel appeal' to line his own pockets.

1. Mad Mike

Re: thank god there are still some decent folks out there

I'm sure this is only by accident, but Dotcom is actually pursuing an important point that will have ramifications way beyond his limited implementation. Yes, I'm sure his reasoning is greed and getting money, but that doesn't alter the principle being good. Used to be that the law was written for the good and protection of the masses. More recently, the law has been more and more written for the good and protection of a very small subset of the population. Hence, the 'rebels' springing up all over the place.

The above is a good example. Very few would say that copyright is a bad idea. However, there is defending copyright and over the top jackboot enforcement. We're rapidly getting to the point that the penalty for killing someone will be less than being found in possession of dodgy MP3s. This cannot be right. When people can be bullied and threatened over their child (or even them) 'attempting' to download something, you really know its gone too far. No copyright violation has even occurred and their lives are made a misery.

It's not just copyright violation that's going this way. All aspects of life and the legal system are. For instance when one country can invade another on the basis of seriously sexed up 'intelligence' (personally, I'd call it lies) and yet nobody takes responsbility. Everyone just turns round, shrugs their shoulders and keeps counting the cash.

6. Velv
    Mushroom

Since it is the USA who have taken particular offence at his activities, he could really piss them off by working with the Cubans, Iranians and North Koreans.

"Don't bother spending billions on rockets, buy me some servers and we'll REALLY up set the Merkins"

Mushroom

Low Orbit Ion Cannon Fodder which can also be written as Low Orbit Ion Canon Fodder

Since it is the USA who have taken particular offence at his activities, he could really piss them off by working with the Cubans, Iranians and North Koreans.

"Don't bother spending billions on rockets, buy me some servers and we'll REALLY up set the Merkins" .... Velv Posted Wednesday 19th December 2012 09:37 GMT

Velv,

With a simple shift into Greater Game Intelligence with IntelAIgents, would the real worlds that peoples live in be transformed and enriched with ...... Don't bother spending billions on rockets, buy me some servers and we'll REALLY set up the Merkins ...... which is wholly new and quite different ball game with more than just a few absolutely fabulous fabless curve balls to throw and hit out of stadia into orbit.

However, if they [the A Team] aren't up for it and don't have the necessary smarts to engage with those and/or that which do, then as you rightly have pointed out, are there other players out there with a wholly different approach to global matters to approach and explore possibilities and probabilities and zeroday vulnerability opportunities with …. to boldly go in an alternative direction at a much higher plane of mutually advantageous, positively reinforcing understanding.

7. jm1222

Just where the rack is and what it contains is not clear

CyberStore 445S-DAS Storage Servers

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does every half arsed media utterance and brain fart of this globulous cretin really deserve so much attention? Without getting into the ins and outs of the legality of his new venture or the competency of NZ plod he made his money on the back of blatant copyright violation and no amount of semantic dexterity by the freetard community can obscure that.

Would you trust your data to a company run/owned by someone with his track record?

1. sabba
      WTF?

Erm...

...I think that's the point of the article!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>Does every half arsed media utterance and brain fart of this globulous cretin really deserve so much attention?

The short answer is Paul, yes.

3. Oddb0d

"Would you trust your data to a company run/owned by someone with his track record?"

Definitely not, but that's because I do know his track record, including but not limited to his hacking/carding arrest in '94, the letsbuyit.com insider trading scam and subsequent collapse, the accusations of attrition.org supporting a Pakistani terror cell, the YIHAT era (aka Kim finds Bin Laden's loot), his deportation from Thailand, the Kimvestor AG loan scam including his embezzlement conviction, his world HQ being a Hong Kong virtual office, the claims of hacking Citibank & giving $20m to Greenpeace etc..etc..etc..

Unfortunately a lot of people (apparently including some Reg hacks) don't know about this stuff and think of Kimble as a stand up guy sticking it to the US authorities.

9. Drakkenson

@Does every half arsed media utterance...

Yes, if only to piss off the Americans/MPAA... :)

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Hell hath no fury like a dotcom scorned

I have a feeling that the MPAA have just created their very own personal worst enemy.

You can see how upset I am by this.

11. Bob H
    Pirate

Surprised he hasn't looked at the Backblaze Storage Pod, seems like the sort of high volume appliance he would need.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see...

...bars in Kim Dotcom's future, Iron Bars all around.

13. bag o' spanners

"anywhere except the US"

Exclusion to counter rabid protectionism. Just might catch on if the merkins keep trying to impose their own wonky self-serving laws on every single sovereign state on the planet.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mega.co.nz ? Seriously? Given his history?!

This has to be a premature April 1st wind-up!

15. Ole Juul

anywhere except the US

Exclusion to counter rabid protectionism. Just might catch on ...

And I hope it does. The quicker this "rabid" behaviour becomes irrelevant, the better. I don't care about Dotcom's enterprise as such, but see it as beneficial to the current situation - particularly the one in the US.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wil.i.am endorses the mega franchise and he also works for Intel

and the CIA

17. William 11

mega CONZ (remove the dots)

personaly i rather dig this guy.. hes really sticking a finger in the MPAA's eye...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(Obvious?) ideas

They will probably have a strict policy of banning people for posting keys or just plain remove the ability to leave descriptions. I could actually see TOR being used to share the keys and people downloading the encrypted file and going through the one extra step of copying and pasting the key into WinRAR/7Z/... Of course if a user can do it, then a program will be made that does it automatically. I imagine you'll just register a protocol in your browser when you install the client called 'mega:' much like mailto/ftp/http/https/irc/... In fact, there already exists the ability to have login details in a URL so I don't see why this can't exist for mega: links. Then the URL handler will pass off the address (with the key) to a downloader that strips the key, requests the download, and then decrypts the saved file, all without user interaction.

Any idiot knows that lobbying is a bribe by another name. Judges and police and prosecutors: 'Civil Asset Forfeiture' laws are just one way to pay off judges. 'Eminent Domain' has been abused to death against people who just wouldn't make the city enough tax money.

Swamping Mega with takedown requests if for the explicit purpose of denial of service, could actually be treated as harassment. Legal spam can get you disbarred. Dodgy bill collectors with 'flawed' records and threats have actually been prosecuted in many states in the US.

One workaround to the issue with those huge files with Freenet is to have chunks 32KB or so in size. Your client reads a header from the first chunk and then if the file is too big to fit in that chunk, it'll find a recursive list of chunks until it downloads the entire file. Essentially the chunk can contain a manifest. The nice thing about this is that you don't have "millions of multigigabyte media files" that are likely media files. You have trillions of chunks with only a limited set of possible lengths. Oh, did I mention that each chunk has decryption keys in the previous chunk in the chain? And that the first chunk is also encrypted. If you don't have the original keys, you have no idea which files your node server is caching. AKA the RIPA loophole - otherwise ISP operators could be arrested for refusing to provide keys to your HTTPS sessions.

A neat trick is that once someone posts an encrypted file to these servers, it's in theory trivial to have local mirrors like Bit Torrent/Freenet/Waste. This would be the foundation of a true Internet 3.0. Newer routers could be designed to run some applications on this backend, transparently. Right now to use something like Freenet, you have to be kind of technical. If you could just buy some box that provided similar capabilities, it would catch on like wildfire. Of course, Freenet is probably a bad example since it's considered the slowest (and likely most secure) of darknets. I2P or chained OpenVPN with a distributed filesystem is a better analogy for the backend.

This topic is closed for new posts.