back to article Oracle upgrades Big Data Appliance with Xeon E5s

Database giant Oracle is trying to keep the myriad NoSQL and alternative data stores and big data munchers like Hadoop at bay by commercializing and integrating a bunch of proprietary and open source software onto preconfigured x86-based servers that it sells in appliance fashion. Oracle has not talked about how well or poorly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you squint...

that just looks like a bunch of commodity E5 x86 servers interconnected in a rack with open source software. It's not though, it is an engineered system.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If you squint...

If anything, these systems are Oracle "non-engineered systems", i.e. no SPARC or Oracle/Sun tech. Intel and other industry standard components make up these systems.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "unbreakable" kernel

Yes, that is not uncommon. RHEL and Oracle are in a spat right now. Oracle thinks its fine to poach RHEL maintenance. RHEL thinks otherwise. RHEL has intentionally been combining patches into one superpatch to make it more difficult for OEL to follow their changes and just apply them to OEL. By the time that OEL catches up with the change log, it is usually a massive group of changes in each patch.

2. Billl
      Trollface

Re: "unbreakable" kernel

Welcome to Linux (not just OEL). I love the idea of Linux, and I love much of the execution, but Linux in general is lacking the serviceability of other OS's.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like